RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission problems in 2001 RX300 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 06:07 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah

We have yet to see the statiscal failure number for transmission on RX {based on year and drive type}. Till that time, if you are not impacted, the number is assumed low and if you are impacted; who cares what the faulire rate is.

Salim
My point exactly, statistics are only of predictive value. When it comes to an individual vehicle, the failure rate is either 0% or 100%. My info on this subject comes from a Lexus Master Service Advisor who says the transmissions on the 99-2001 RX300 with AWD (apparantly the FWD models were not adversely affected) fail at a disconcertingly high rate even with regular preventative maintainance. Lexus recognized the problem eventually and switched to a beefier tranny with the 2002 and beyond models. Her advice was if you are buying a used RX with AWD do not buy a model year earlier than 2002.
Old 04-01-07, 04:09 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DetMich1
My point exactly, statistics are only of predictive value. When it comes to an individual vehicle, the failure rate is either 0% or 100%. My info on this subject comes from a Lexus Master Service Advisor who says the transmissions on the 99-2001 RX300 with AWD (apparantly the FWD models were not adversely affected) fail at a disconcertingly high rate even with regular preventative maintainance. Lexus recognized the problem eventually and switched to a beefier tranny with the 2002 and beyond models. Her advice was if you are buying a used RX with AWD do not buy a model year earlier than 2002.
O.K. for all the serious techies out there what is the model difference between the 99-01 RX AWD trani and the 2002 and newer?

The RX300AWD (99-03) all have U140F (trani part#). Is it just a mechanical modification on the same part number?

The only year I see a Lexus RX awd trani part changing is for the 2004 model year RX330 awd with trani part U151F

Clarification please... What was it that was changed in the trani in 2002 and newer that prevented failures?
Old 04-01-07, 07:19 AM
salimshah

Received 1,010 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Clarification please... What was it that was changed in the trani in 2002 and newer that prevented failures?
Yeah, even if it is "hearsay", this will be good information.

Salim
Old 04-08-08, 05:03 PM
josephjk
Driver School Candidate

Going back to the original question, yes, the transmission died on my 2001 AWD RX300 at 114K. All transmission fluid and other service done per the schedule, at either Toyota or Lexus.

The Lexus dealership used their "goodwill quota" to give me half off the part, but total including labor still came to $3400.

While grateful about the help, I am extremely disappointed overall. This was exactly the kind of failure I used to think would never happen to a Toyota or Honda, and especially not to a Lexus.

I did follow the earlier advice to file a complaint with NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm). If more people with the same problem filed complaints as well, something good might still come out of this.
Old 04-08-08, 05:08 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Yeah, even if it is "hearsay", this will be good information.

Salim
There is a gentleman on the LOC site that feels they changed the pump in the tranny to a higher flow capacity, but his insights are interesting and he gets into some heavy discussion on the differences. (advantages and disadvantages)
Old 12-20-08, 10:35 PM
sangko_65
Driver School Candidate

Please save the opinions...I need help. I have a '99 RX300 with 124k miles. It wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th. Does anybody have solutions?
Old 12-21-08, 01:10 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
O.K. for all the serious techies out there what is the model difference between the 99-01 RX AWD trani and the 2002 and newer?

The RX300AWD (99-03) all have U140F (trani part#). Is it just a mechanical modification on the same part number?

The only year I see a Lexus RX awd trani part changing is for the 2004 model year RX330 awd with trani part U151F

Fern- For one thing, there are trans. that last until the car goes to it's final resting place, but not many!

I am not an expert on Toyota/ Lexus transmissions and they may well have put a higher capacity pump in the earlier '01 or '02 trans. but from what I have read they plied some of their magic through the computer to aid the U140F. They retard the spark at the exact moment of shift and also reduce the throttle at that moment in a way that is not noticeable to the driver but reduces the strain and wear on the clutches and bands. This was not possible on the early RX's because they had cable throttle. I don't know for sure but since my wife's '02 Camry has "drive-by-wire" I am assuming the RX did by then too. I believe there were other tricks that were done also to eliminate some of the wear and failure problems that were present in the early ones. My DIL's 99RX has 125k with no transmission problems (even though when I serviced it at 97k the trans fluid looked like coffee or old used engine oil). We hear about the trans. problems on a forum like this and I agree the problems that have happened to many should not have happened and Toyota should have stepped up to the plate and more properly taken care of it, but they have actually bent over quite a bit. I would be interested to know the actual PERCENTAGE of those that were sold, and made it to 125k (the car was not destroyed in one form or another) that have had transmission failure. I figure if I make it to 125k in ANY vehicle that I buy new and take good care of then I am living on borrowed time, as far as the transmission goes. Google "million mile van" and see a '98 Ford van that has now traveled 1 million, eighty thousand miles without the trans pan ever being pulled or the filter being changed! Is that normal? Of course not, but neither is a trans going out at 5k mi. I have seen them not make it off the lot, brand new , before the trans blew. It shouldn't have happened to a car like Lexus but I still don't think the PERCENTAGE of failures compared to the number sold is as bad as it would seem on a forum. At 125k without good trans maintenance I don't think my DIL worries about it failing and, though I'm the one that will probably have to deal with it, I don't either. If it happens we'll simply deal with it.

Last edited by code58; 12-21-08 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 01:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sangko_65
Please save the opinions...I need help. I have a '99 RX300 with 124k miles. It wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th. Does anybody have solutions?
sangko- I don't have an answer for you but i do know that on this site and the other Lexus site it has been discussed many times. If you do a search I'm sure you will find many discussions about it and very possibly some answers. Someone from here may jump in with the answer. It MAY not be the one you want to hear but then again maybe it will. Good Luck!
Old 12-21-08, 04:38 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think anyone can give you a "smoking gun" explanation for the 99 AWD tranny problems. If you read this and the LOC forum you will read various explanations/solutions which seem highly technical and credible. I believe (sorry for injecting opinion) there is more than one failure mode. Some people tow, driving habits vary, types of driving vary, maintenance varies, perhaps some people use the wrong ATF, etc, etc. If you go to Lexus dealers, they may admit to a tranny design problem or they may not. If they do admit to it, they may give you different reasons for it.

Many people have had trannies rebuilt successfully at independent shops. Some shops have done many RX's. If/when mine fails, I will call as many tranny shops as I can find and ask them about their experience with RX trannies. One poster (Mikey00 I believe), has found a shop in northern NJ which has an excellent RX track record. I bet if you called them, they would tell you exactly what breaks, although they may not know exactly why. They will tell you if it is always the same problem or if they see many different types of failures. They will tell you if the replacemnt parts are beefier than the original and they will give you expert advice on what you can do differently to mitigate future problems.

All you can do is consider the various opinions and then form your own as to what happened to your vehicle.

Last edited by artbuc; 12-21-08 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 07:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

That is exactly how mine failed, However I would drop the pan and change the transmission filter and then refill. I would also swap the two speed sensors on the transmission....I assume you have a check engine code also...if so get it read by an auto parts store for free and post your results here. Another thought is the engine running rough? if so your knock sensors are another possibility...
On another note the VSC was instituted on the later RX300. I cant remember when the vicous coupling was eliminated from the AWD system, but it put a huge load on the transfer system. On the LOC site there was a gentleman called wWest that discussed the inherent drive system changes....
here is a real informative discussion from LOC:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...28020&hl=wwest

Last edited by thomas1; 12-21-08 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 07:53 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

If you have a check engine light on (even if it is totally unrelated) it can keep the tranny from shifting into OD.
Old 01-03-09, 01:33 AM
touge_g35
Driver School Candidate

can somebody pm me on where I could go to either rebuild the awd tranny or replace it, our car is out of warranty and right now it drives only in first and cant reverse.the first time this happened it wouldnt go into gear at all, then we drained the tranny fluid and refilled it and it drove fine.Just recently it hesitated going into a higher gear unexpectedly and then i think i heard a boom or some sort of break noise, and yeah, my parents didnt know they had to change out the tranny oil, we didnt even know it was awd.
until we had this problem I didnt know anything about the rx, and ive done my research now and I just want to see now where I can go to get it replaced, I know of course the dealer, but any alternative options by any chance?

like has anybody gone to a mom and pop shop to get theirs rebuilt?

thanks guys
Old 01-03-09, 02:17 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

stay away from the chain shops.
Old 01-03-09, 08:50 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Try to get an independent tranny shop to rebuild it, they will be the cheapest....Referels from friends or friends of friends sometimes can save a bundle.