RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 03:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymagic
On a somewhat related note, one of my moldings has come loose by about 5 or 6 inches. The tape on the car itself remains firmly fastened.

I'm thinking when the weather gets a bit warmer here in Chicago that I use a bead of silicone adhesive to get it reaffixed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Maybe someone will give their opinion on using silicone adhesive but I'd take the strip off and apply new 3M tape.
3M makes all kinds of levels of adhesion strength and also a adhesion promoter if desired.
Old 03-27-15, 12:01 PM
3894days
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkspear32
Thanks everyone for the great info and response. I have them ordered and on the way so once it warms up a little I'll tackle putting them on. The installation pointers were much appreciated too.

Thank you.
Mike
Where did you order from ? Cost?
Old 03-28-15, 11:09 AM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Maybe someone will give their opinion on using silicone adhesive but I'd take the strip off and apply new 3M tape.
3M makes all kinds of levels of adhesion strength and also a adhesion promoter if desired.
Thanks, I see what you mean. I tried to put a loop of duct tape on it sticky side out to keep it from getting worse but I didn't realize on concave the molding actually was.

I may just wait for warmer weather and take them off completely.
Old 04-01-15, 08:25 PM
Cmonk
Driver School Candidate

The installation of new molding is not that difficult, just takes some time and attention to detail. The instructions are the same for all 2011-2015 RX 350 and 450H.

The auto supply paint stores usually do not stock the recommended 3M prep product but there are other products that do the job. 70% isopropol alcohol works well, make sure you use clean rags and wipe the application site thoroughly several times to remove any wax or coatings. A long metal ruler helps to set masking tape reference points correctly. There are RH and LF moldings, check the back of the molding to make sure what side it applies to, The instructions don't say anything about this.

You can use a hair dryer to heat sections of the molding as you apply it if it is cold. Do a little at a time. The adhesive works best when warmed. I have not had any problems with mine coming off, but I have reapplied them for others. You can purchase spray adhesive re activator. Applying new tape is next to impossible.

I purchased mine from Sewell for less than $100 including shipping and got them in a couple of days.
Old 04-29-15, 05:34 PM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

I installed the side body moldings and the mud flaps. I used genuine Lexus parts purchased online and followed the instructions. Both were easy to install and I saved some money and got the satisfaction of having done the job myself!
Attached Thumbnails Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-side-molding-1-1024x768-.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-side-molding-2-1024x768-.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-front-mudflap-1024x768-.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-rear-mudflap-1024x768-.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-before-side-molding-1024x577-.jpg  

Last edited by mtmendez; 04-30-15 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added pix
Old 04-30-15, 10:14 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mtmendez
I installed the side body moldings and the mud flaps. I used genuine Lexus parts purchased online and followed the instructions. Both were easy to install and I saved some money and got the satisfaction of having done the job myself!
can you post some pix? thx
Old 04-30-15, 10:16 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ksixx
I picked up my RX last friday and am having the moldings installed this weekend by the dealer. I'm so afraid of door dings.
I'll try to remember to post a picture when its done. I've got the Blue Mica
Pix please, would love to see a Blue Mica with side molding.
Old 04-30-15, 04:14 PM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bryanmeow
can you post some pix? thx
Pictures uploaded!
Old 04-30-15, 04:15 PM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

Sorry mine is Silver...but I did upload some pictures.
Old 04-30-15, 05:36 PM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

looks very nice, thanks
Old 04-30-15, 07:16 PM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

Bryanmeow -- Found some pix online...hope these help...
Attached Thumbnails Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-mica-blue-2nd-gen.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-mica-blue-2nd-gen-2.jpg   Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-2005-blue-w-molding.jpg  
Old 05-01-15, 01:54 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is Claret Mica but here's what it looks like. Even if I wasn't concerned with door dings I think the body side molding gives the car a much better look.
Old 05-01-15, 04:59 PM
mtmendez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kmar
Mine is Claret Mica but here's what it looks like. Even if I wasn't concerned with door dings I think the body side molding gives the car a much better look.
I definitely like it better with the side molding. I think it improves the lines. But then again, my opinion and $3 will buy you coffee!
Old 08-05-15, 06:49 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 410 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Door Moldings to Prevent Dings

I see a few RX's around here with door moldings positioned at mid door, running horizontally. I suspect these are dealer "add ons" and not from the factory. What's the deal? I already have 1 ding (despite parking carefully) in our 6 week old RX. How much are these and must they be installed by the dealer? And how can I be sure they'll be installed correctly (level) etc? Or course even the moldings can get dinged, so I'm not totally sure they would be worth it. Does a ding on the molding look "less worse" than one on the door itself? Probably, but not much. Less chance of an indentation but still a big paint nick.
Old 08-05-15, 10:59 PM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

I purchased OEM Lexus mouldings from Concord Lexus on Ebay. Fair price, repainted, ready to install and quick delivery. I self installed.

You could also have it purchased and installed by your local dealer but it will cost you more.

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings (merged threads)