Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Trying to find easy way to connect cable in RX to charge my S5 phone

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #1
atomarchio
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Default Trying to find easy way to connect cable in RX to charge my S5 phone

Have the 2014 RX. Trying to figure out a way to charge my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone easily in the vehicle.

I plugged in a USB cable but the USB port is near front and quite high. Plugging in the cable takes up space in the compartment. Then if you lay your phone on its side over the seat heater buttons you have to stretch the cable to make it work.

Has anyone figured out a better/easier way to charge their cell phone in the RX?

Please help. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #2
litzdog911
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
litzdog911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 101
Default

What about a 12V USB charger?
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #3
atomarchio
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Default

The issue I would have is that either option takes up room in the glove compartment. I need to find a right angled cord or perhaps power inverter that I can run straight up almost.

I usually have the phone in the cup holder.

Wish there was a better way to do this. Where does lexus expect you to place the phone in the RX?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:30 AM   #4
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,738
Default

My 2010h didn't have the plug in the place you're speaking of but they are deep in the console itself under the bucket (forward area). There is a hole in the bucket side to bring the cords up and through. Have you checked your owners manual to see if they're still there? I had two USB connections there that were great for phone (also Samsung S5) and iPod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
Have the 2014 RX. Trying to figure out a way to charge my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone easily in the vehicle.

I plugged in a USB cable but the USB port is near front and quite high. Plugging in the cable takes up space in the compartment. Then if you lay your phone on its side over the seat heater buttons you have to stretch the cable to make it work.

Has anyone figured out a better/easier way to charge their cell phone in the RX?

Please help. Thanks.
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #5
atomarchio
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
My 2010h didn't have the plug in the place you're speaking of but they are deep in the console itself under the bucket (forward area). There is a hole in the bucket side to bring the cords up and through. Have you checked your owners manual to see if they're still there? I had two USB connections there that were great for phone (also Samsung S5) and iPod.
That's exactly what I am looking for. Why would the power adapter be underneath? I don't get that at all.

I am trying to find this hole but I don't see anything. I am looking the manual now but don't see anything.

Can anyone with a 14 RX help?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #6
AL13NV8D3R
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
AL13NV8D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 493
Default

Maby your RX did not have a certain option or package thus not having the usb ports under center console. There is a storage space right under the shifter close to the floor that you can use to store your other stuff to make space for glove box? That space under ther shifter can fit a large purse.
AL13NV8D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #7
atomarchio
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R View Post
Maby your RX did not have a certain option or package thus not having the usb ports under center console. There is a storage space right under the shifter close to the floor that you can use to store your other stuff to make space for glove box? That space under ther shifter can fit a large purse.
Yes, I have that. The area underneath is all open and the car charger is there.

You're saying there is way to somehow to get a cable up through there. Where does it end up?

I am looking again but can't tell what you're referring to.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #8
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,738
Default

Angelo, when you raise the armrest and look down/in, is there a bin you can remove? If so the plugs are below that in the forward wall. And there should be a hole in the forward part of the bin to run the cords through. Visually seeing and using them is a POA but if you can lift out the bin, use your smart phone flash light to see the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
That's exactly what I am looking for. Why would the power adapter be underneath? I don't get that at all.

I am trying to find this hole but I don't see anything. I am looking the manual now but don't see anything.

Can anyone with a 14 RX help?
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #9
atomarchio
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OH
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Angelo, when you raise the armrest and look down/in, is there a bin you can remove? If so the plugs are below that in the forward wall. And there should be a hole in the forward part of the bin to run the cords through. Visually seeing and using them is a POA but if you can lift out the bin, use your smart phone flash light to see the plugs.
I see those plugs. problem I have is that If I use that area for cables it takes up space I have in there to put a tissue box or other items.

Guess I was just hoping for something further in front a bit more convenient.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:45 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Join ClubLexus

Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info