RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Whether to fix: Noise from dashboard when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 06:18 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First, let me say that I hope things warm up quickly for everyone encountering these extreme cold conditions. It wouldn't be my cup 'o tea.

But, FWIW, I for one, think it's not a matter if Lexus "admits" to some sort of challenge with very cold weather conditions, but rather our -- or at least my -- having reasonable expectations with non-safety related items under such extreme conditions. I know Lexus (like other mfgrs) test their vehicles in cold weather conditions, but I honestly can't say what I think should be the minimum cold conditions they should test for -- is that 32F, 0F, or something colder, and for how long -- and what sort of humidity (and therefore possibility of ice/frost build-up) is involved?

...so, I just spent some time going on a hunt for that information.
I may have missed it somewhere, but I can't find a formal documented "operating temperature range" specification for my 2013 RX450h. What I did find though are a number of references throughout the Owner's Manual indicating certain things won't operate, or will be impaired as temps go way down -- e.g. at 32F cooling & aircon may not operate; Auto wiper sensor will not function below 5F; Rear Cam display will be dark or faint in lower temps; Ready may take longer to come on Hybrids with much lower temps; etc. Personally, I don't expect Lexus to have to state everything that may happen, as I'm one for trying to be reasonable and don't need more "This is HOT coffee" sort of documentation. IMHO, the manual is already huge with plenty of caveats.

Our vehicles have plenty of electronics, and I'm familiar with many of my home electronics products having "normal operating temp ranges" listed in the fine print specifications somewhere in the back of their manuals. As has been suggested, those of us with Nav have hard disks in our vehicles, that are likely sourced from one of the few HDD manufacturers in the world. Interesting perhaps are a number of documents (founded on some Google work) stating that as ambient temp around hard disks go below 77F, it's considered "too cold", leading to higher failure rates. Looking at a few hard disk company websites and their current product offerings seem to confirm that, e.g. the Seagate Barracuda indicates normal HDD operating temp is 32F MINIMUM in their spec. Even solid state memory has lower operating temps, e.g. SanDisk states -13F for their cards.
...so, all that to say, I expect some squeaks, squeals, and some (non-safety related) things not operating quite right when the temps are too low around my RXh.
Old 03-30-15, 02:45 PM
Jeepster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 GX460 Dash Noises & Cold Air Leaks

I live in the Midwest. When it get below 40 degrees There is a clicking/rattling kind of sound with every bump in the road. Of course, the service guys can't hear it; therefor, no problem.

Also, when I set the air flow to be through the dash and to the floor, cold air leaks in at the lower corners of the windshield. The windshield fogs up and frosts if driving at high speed. The service guy left it an another GX460 outside overnight. Both of them did it when he started them the next morning. Since they both did it he said it's NORMAL - really? A luxury vehicle leaking cold is normal?

I owned a 2010 GX460 for three years before getting this one. The overall quality of the 2014 is not up to par with the first one even though it's top of the line. It's quite disappointing!

Don't get me started on the tinny "Premium Sound" system....
Old 04-14-15, 10:38 AM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed

Hey everyone,

I thought I should give an update on the issue.

as suggested in the earlier posts here I did find out where the noise is coming from: outside of the vehicle there's a rubber liner that's between the windshield and the plastic cover (it covers the engine air filter). because of frost and defrost the rubber material appeared to be loose.

I asked the dealer to replace it and then we'd look into removing the dash, and the solution did work (less work for them so they were happy too).

The hard drive/disc noise sounds like a larger problem coming from the inside. Good luck on that issue but I guess you will have to get the dash removed.

About the expected operating temperature, I do agree with BertL that these are harsh conditions for the cars but if Honda's and BMW's can handle this cold so should Lexus. (all three I owned before).
Old 11-30-15, 06:31 PM
spicygrrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all:
I'm jumping in on this thread late, I realize. However, I have a 2012 CPO RX450h which has this rattling squeak problem you may all be discussing. It occurs during both hot and cold weather.

The first time, the temperature was about 98 degrees outside and the car was sitting in the sun all day.

This past weekend, the temperature was about 34 degrees and it was night time (thus, no sunshine to warm up the car parts) @ ~4000 ft. It's driving me batty. I've tried the loud radio trick, but really feel like a "luxury" car shouldn't squeak in cold & hot temps -- especially because they aren't even that extreme! If a car is outfitted with heated & cooled seats (like this one is), one would assume you would be driving it in weather where those would be necessary.

I saw another thread mentioning a similar problem and wondered if anyone in this thread eventually got their squeaks fixed?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...s-in-dash.html