RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX350 "Squeaky tilt steering"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 05:32 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 "Squeaky tilt steering"

Hi guys!

I LOVE my new 2015 RX. I took delivery just a few weeks ago (07/11/14) and just hit the 1K mark! This car is so nice, and solid I truly am so happy and proud to have it.

One little *little* thing that I did notice.. is that over the past few days.. I notice that when I get in the car, or exit.. and the automated tilt steering wheel moves up or down, it make a very loud, and defined "squeak" noise. Specifically happens in the lower end, (i.e. when the wheel is near the bottom of the travel, as I have the wheel set to the lowest setting). the upper part of the travel seems fine.

Is this something I can fix myself with grease of some type? I would hate to have to block off a day, take to the dealer, get a loaner car.. and then go back etc.. plus.. I hate going to the dealer.. I am of the mindset that they generally cause more issues. (what if they scratch something, sit on the edge of my leather seats and make creases, etc, etc,etc.. ) so, if there is a way I can fix it.. I am all for it.

Let me know what your thoughts are!

Thanks so much!
Old 08-03-14, 05:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hmmm... Does the squeak still occur if you manually adjust it? Basically, if you can find a slightly higher position with also a change in fore/aft positioning that perhaps doesn't make the noise (that is also still comfortable for you), might be worth a try and lock in that position.

I'm thinking this may better be left to the dealer due to a risk (as a DIY) in spraying any grease touching the electronics/wiring for the airbag, electric steering, cruise, stalks, and all the remaining steering wheel controls that are fed by wiring/connectors.
Old 08-03-14, 04:57 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Yeah, it does it if I adjust the wheel too. I think it must be a lack of lube somewhere, because it was perfect for the first few weeks.. now, all of the sudden it's an issue.

I agree, I better just let the dealer fix it. It maybe something really simple for them to fix anyway. I will see what they say / do, and report back.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-14, 07:01 AM
Tharr62
Driver

Hummmm.... not very happy.

So, I indeed went to the dealer.. and they took the car in.. and came right back after just a few min, and said that it needs a new steering column! I said, "no", I am pretty sure all it needs is some lube on the gear(s) that are moving the tilt, and I don't want the whole column to be replaced. I feel that they only want to do this, as they can bill Lexus for a lot more work, and it is not necessary. ALSO, I don't want my /brand new car to have such a repair, what I am convinced it is not needed.

The tilt works fine. It has been perfect since day one. All of the sudden with the humidity / repeated use it now makes the squeaking. It's got to just be a matter of some lube. and the dealer wants to take the whole thing apart.

Not happy!

What to do? It looks like it's just three bolts to remove the cover under the steering wheel. Possibly, I can look in there myself and see? Maybe I can just do it?
Old 08-05-14, 09:49 AM
wbbqhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the psychological reluctance that you don't want they to do the replacement as a new owner, as most of us were. But DIY with no experience is more risky than the dealer doing it for you, especially for a steering column. Whatever billing going on between the dealer and Lexus should not be your concern.
Old 08-05-14, 09:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^ I agree. I believe a few members had their steering columns replaced on earlier model RXs and it eliminated the problem. Trying to fix it yourself doesn't guarantee the same result and could potentially cause a bigger problem. Re the cost, be happy it's covered under the warranty.
Old 08-05-14, 12:58 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Actually, heres what I ended up doing..

I drive an hour away to another Lexus Dealer.. and I explained to them the issue. They took 25min, and had the car back to me fixed. They did *exactly* as I told them. They released the three screws on the column cover, then opened the sealed part inside to reveal the worm gear.. and packed it with grease.

All fixed.

Granted, I am not a mechanic.. but, I am confident I could have done this in the same amount of time, pending I had the correct grease. ALSO, I might add although I am happy they fixed it.. they happen to leave grease prints in several spots in the car, which when I got home I had to clean myself with soap and water. Lucky, the one on the A-pillar (hand print) came out.. or I would have had a fit! This is the reason I don't like others working on the car if it's not needed. It's like going to the doctor with one issue.. and coming home more sick then when you left! LOL Oh, AND.. when they put the plastic column cover back on.. they missed one of the "teeth" on the driver side that clips it together. I had to remove it again myself, and realign it, and then re tighten the screws so that the seams would actually sit flush. (I guess thats the price to pay for a 25min turnaround..)

Anyway..

I was correct, in that the other (first) dealer just wanted to rack up the bill with Lexus.. and it would have meant a few days without my car, and a lot more find work to my new car. This type of thing really starts to take away from the "newness" feeling you have with a new car. I am happy it was as simple as I thought.

Whatever billing going on between the dealer and Lexus should not be your concern.
The reason this is a concern of mine.. is simply because I asked them point blank to put grease in it.. and they refused. They said "We are not allowed to do that, only replace the whole column". This was BS, and I knew it. I was upset, because I knew that because they wanted to get paid from Lexus for the bigger job, I was suffering.. and THAT was not right, and my concern!

Last edited by Tharr62; 08-05-14 at 01:04 PM.