RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 10:50 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice.

We just picked up a 2010 CPO RX 350 with 5yr/125K warranty last weekend, on the 161 point check list they say they checked the window wiper system, interior seats, tires among other things.
Tried the wipers /spray and the right nozzle doesn't work. Took the car back to the dealer and they said they needed to order a new nozzle and will call when it comes in.
Then I notice the rear shoulder seat belt guide has dislodged from the seat near the headrest,interior checked off as ok on inspection sheet.
So after I found these 2 things not being ok but checked off as good on the 161 point inspection, I looked at the tire inspection. They changed the front tires but said the rears were at a minimum of 5/32" thread left so I took the tires to a tire shop and the average tread wear was less than 5/32". IMO
the rear tires should have been changed also.
I emailed the salesman and am waiting for an answer. Any opinions out there? Am I expecting too much for a 2010 CPO?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 07-05-14, 07:09 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Kahuna and welcome to the family. No, you are not expecting too much for a CPO. I too, questioned the tread depth on our '11 CPO and the tech showed me the depth with a tread depth gage. Tread depth is not an opinion, it's a fact, evidenced by a gage. Tread depth gage is about $3 at an auto parts store. I also questioned the remaining brake pad thickness, but that was my mis-interpresation. Sounds like you've lost faith in the person that did your 161 point inspection. I would ask for another inspection. A compromise might be to just have all the safety items re-checked. I don't think that's asking too much. BTW, when I said my CPO's wipers were streaky, they put on new ones, no questions asked. I salute you for being diligent about the 161 point inspection.
Ray A.
Old 07-05-14, 07:20 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Kahuna, When your nozzle is replaced, I would ask for the old one. You can play with it at home to find out the source of the clogging. Just for fun.
As to the seat belt concern, that sounds like a safety issue to me. You should expect a true indication on all 161 points, in my opinion.
Ray A.
Old 07-05-14, 08:13 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Not unreasonable to ask for a re-validation based on your concrete findings. As with anything in life, the onus falls on the buyer to ensure things are as expected/signed off on.
Old 07-05-14, 09:13 AM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by kahuna415
We just picked up a 2010 CPO RX 350 with 5yr/125K warranty last weekend, on the 161 point check list they say they checked the window wiper system, interior seats, tires among other things.
Tried the wipers /spray and the right nozzle doesn't work. Took the car back to the dealer and they said they needed to order a new nozzle and will call when it comes in.
Then I notice the rear shoulder seat belt guide has dislodged from the seat near the headrest,interior checked off as ok on inspection sheet.
So after I found these 2 things not being ok but checked off as good on the 161 point inspection, I looked at the tire inspection. They changed the front tires but said the rears were at a minimum of 5/32" thread left so I took the tires to a tire shop and the average tread wear was less than 5/32". IMO
the rear tires should have been changed also.
I emailed the salesman and am waiting for an answer. Any opinions out there? Am I expecting too much for a 2010 CPO?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Did you happen to get yours from Sacramento Lexus? Because when we picked up our CPO, we found out that 161 point inspection didn't mean much.
Old 07-05-14, 01:44 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will be going back this week so I will speak to the Service Dept.
I picked the car up at Lexus of Serramonte in Colma, CA. Nice dealership but like you mentioned, I lost confidence in the 161 point inspection.
Thanks again.
Old 07-07-14, 09:04 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You paid a premium for CPO service. Not unreasonable to expect the vehicle to be brought up to the advertised condition. Request to have all 4 tires replaced. It is recommended to do so anyway if your vehicle is AWD so all of tire tread depths match.
Old 07-09-14, 06:20 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Default Back to dealer

Today I dropped the car back to the dealer. Spoke to the Service Mgr. and told him I had lost confidence in the CPO inspection. Gave the service advisor a laundry list of things that need to be either fixed or re-checked. Took a service tech out for a test drive and he agreed there were things that had to be fixed and he would look into the various rattles in the car.
Didn't know how long it would take since he was off tomorrow so they gave me a 2014 RX 350 loaner.
This tech seemed very knowledgable so I hope he remains as my service tech.
I think they were very surprised that I actually checked and went over their 161 point inspection and called them on the problems.
Thanks for everyones input, made me feel better about asking them to check all these things out.
Just noticed on the service papers, they are doing another multi point inspection.
Will let you know what happens.
Thanks again.
Old 07-09-14, 07:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

^^^Good on you. Needless to say, when you go back to the dealer to pick up the car, try to do it during the day when the Service Manager/Tech are there and not in the evening when most of the service staff is gone. Check the items you flagged are indeed resolved and if not point them out, have them keep the RX there, and keep the loaner until they resolve the issues.
Old 07-09-14, 10:59 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Kahuna,
Good job. Stay the course. Sounds like you're getting a fair shake from the service department. By being reasonable with them, they will be reasonable with you.
PS My wife's from Daly City.
Ray A.
Old 07-14-14, 08:33 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Default Call from dealer today

The SA called today and told me the whole electronic steering column needs to be ordered and installed among the other things. It will be at least 2 weeks so he asked if I wanted to p/u my car and bring it back later or just keep the loaner. I chose to keep the loaner. Then he said he got the ok for the warranty to cover it because this is not covered by the warranty, I said what? I just bought this car last week, it's been at the dealers longer than I've had it in my possession.
Then he said he meant my warranty doesn't kick in for 30 days because of the paperwork. What?
Anyways it's there and I asked for a free map update for all the hassle, he'll ask the Sales dept.
I will now send an email to the SA repeating our conversation so I have a written record for my files. I thought these cars were CPO and ok to sell, if I didn't complain about the rattles, the steering column problem would not have been caught.
If anyone has any ideas or comments, I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone,

David
Old 07-15-14, 08:49 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Enjoy the 2 weeks of free mileage on the 2014. Take a nice long drive while you have it. You deserve it!
Old 08-19-14, 11:14 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Update
Picked up the car last week, steering column replaced, spay nozzle replaced, new tires in the rear, seat belt guide fixed. Took 1 month but had a loaner so really didn't mind and I negotiated a free map update because of all the trouble. Car runs great now, just want to figure out if they can program the rear gate to open automatically but thats a different thread.

David