RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 08:19 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Great stuff! Ultimately I think owners should call their cars what makes them happy!

However, let me clarify what I meant when bringing GX/LX into the picture.

1. GX/LX use a truck engine. 3.5L in RX is the same stuff they use in Camry, Avalon, Sienna and so on. No truck in the Toyota/Lexus line up uses 3.5L 2GR-FE engine.
2. Body-on-frame design, of course.
3. RX is EPS while GX/LX use hydraulic power steering common for trucks.
4. Last but not least GX/LX are based on Prado/Land Cruiser which are work horse trucks in other parts of the world. While Lexus makes them nice, underneath they are the same tough-built beasts with proven track record under toughest conditions all other the world. Because of that they use much heavier duty components.

I would mention other stuff such as full-time AWD and Torsen LSD but it's not directly relevant to trucks but makes a big difference in inclement weather conditions. I would never trade part-time AWD for couple more MPG but I live in Canada and we get lots of snow sometimes. As you can see - RX might be under the same section because it's an LUV but it's built nothing alike GX/LX and this why I have an opinion that it's hard to call it a truck.
At the end of the day, how much does it really matter?

Here in NYC, everything other than a car gets called a truck. You either have a car, truck or bike.
Old 11-12-13, 08:49 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
At the end of the day, how much does it really matter?

Here in NYC, everything other than a car gets called a truck. You either have a car, truck or bike.
I agree. Having a car with a parking lot clearance is all it takes these days to be called a truck. Maybe it's a sign that people actually do want real trucks