RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 07:54 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
Technologies don't just trickle down, unless is costs more to remove it than to include it. Somebody must have decided that we can make money by providing this feature to our customers.
My question is "why"?
It's unnecessary in any vehicle, sad but understandable for the manual transmission, and just stupid when incorporated into an automatic transmission.
As my two Lexus cars are more than 10 years old, I do a lap around the showroom from time to time, and I've been looking through the brochures (especially for the RX and GS models in the last few years) and I do not recall seeing any mention of "hill assist." Either I missed it, it's not on these cars, or it's on the cars but not mentioned, none of which makes any sense.
I test drove a new RX and a new GS last week while my RX was being serviced, and the (excellent) salesman did not mention "hill assist," leading me to believe that it's not something that would push a prospective customer over the edge of the buying decision.
I'm perplexed to learn of this, and a little dismayed, but I will get over it soon. (Did you see how I turned the conversation back around to me?)
I thank the poster for bringing "hill assist" to our attention.
I agree tfischer. I've been looking at the RX for about 3 months now and never saw this mentioned at all.
Old 11-01-13, 08:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hill assist has been standard since the 3rd gen came out. I know some of us discussed the feature way back when. It's only when the mysterious beep happens that it comes to surface again. I'm not new to the RX by any stretch but sometimes there are things I didn't even know about.. Yes, I read the manual cover to cover, LOL! Some of those discoveries can be found in this thread Jim started a while back. Take a look and add your own.

JG45, I'm glad you actually found one of your annoyances was in fact a feature. Try testing Hill Assist out so you get a sense of how it works. I've used it a few times, like when I was stuck on a snowy hill waiting for a train to pass. Worked like a charm. And I hope you're more on the 'love your RX' side now.
Old 11-01-13, 08:29 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Anita:
That's good info to know. I looked over the first post, and what jumps out at me now is that the Dealer was unaware of how the hill assist "feature" works. I love the secret features.
And finally, I'm definitely on the "love my RX" side - I have an '04 and am test driving the new ones. This is one great car and, as the economists say, the market has spoken.
Old 11-01-13, 09:01 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technologies don't just trickle down, unless is costs more to remove it than to include it. Somebody must have decided that we can make money by providing this feature to our customers.
My question is "why"?
It's unnecessary in any vehicle, sad but understandable for the manual transmission, and just stupid when incorporated into an automatic transmission.
As my two Lexus cars are more than 10 years old, I do a lap around the showroom from time to time, and I've been looking through the brochures (especially for the RX and GS models in the last few years) and I do not recall seeing any mention of "hill assist." Either I missed it, it's not on these cars, or it's on the cars but not mentioned, none of which makes any sense.
I test drove a new RX and a new GS last week while my RX was being serviced, and the (excellent) salesman did not mention "hill assist," leading me to believe that it's not something that would push a prospective customer over the edge of the buying decision.
I'm perplexed to learn of this, and a little dismayed, but I will get over it soon. (Did you see how I turned the conversation back around to me?)
I thank the poster for bringing "hill assist" to our attention.
If I remember correctly, Hill Assist was introduced in the last generation GX470 & 4Runner several years ago. I wouldn't call it a "stupid" feature. It's a useful feature for those who live in areas with lots of hills.

I do agree it's not an absolutely needed thing to have since your left foot could accomplish the same task. But then again the same can be said about the HUD and automatic high-beam features as they both provide functionality that are already available manually anyways - and yet many folks love these.

These features may not be a need but this is a luxury car, its all about the extras that sets it apart from the rest.
Old 11-01-13, 09:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Anita:
That's good info to know. I looked over the first post, and what jumps out at me now is that the Dealer was unaware of how the hill assist "feature" works. I love the secret features.
And finally, I'm definitely on the "love my RX" side - I have an '04 and am test driving the new ones. This is one great car and, as the economists say, the market has spoken.
We probably know more about the RX than most sales people. It'll probably remain that way since they sell on their own. And Hill Assist really does serve a purpose for those in less than flat areas like myself. Someone came up behind me when I had to stop on that snowy hill for the train. Most cars can't make it up with a few inches on the ground. I engaged Hill Assist while I waited for the train to pass. I didn't have to worry about jumping from the brake to the gas pedal. Even though I don't use it often, I'm very glad Lexus added this feature.
Old 11-01-13, 05:58 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

...and the great majority of drivers have two feet
I'm in that minority, I have two feet, just the left doesn't work very well. So hillside assist is my friend.

I haven't been able to duplicate the seat belt alarm by pushing on the back of the front seat. I'll try again next week. Seems odd to me. I thought the seat belt alarm was watching downward pressure on the seat bottom.
Old 11-02-13, 08:51 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Hill assist has been standard since the 3rd gen came out. I know some of us discussed the feature way back when. It's only when the mysterious beep happens that it comes to surface again. I'm not new to the RX by any stretch but sometimes there are things I didn't even know about.. Yes, I read the manual cover to cover, LOL! Some of those discoveries can be found in this thread Jim started a while back. Take a look and add your own.

JG45, I'm glad you actually found one of your annoyances was in fact a feature. Try testing Hill Assist out so you get a sense of how it works. I've used it a few times, like when I was stuck on a snowy hill waiting for a train to pass. Worked like a charm. And I hope you're more on the 'love your RX' side now.
Thanks, Anita, I'll give it a try when I'm next on a hill. And yes, I've always been more on the love side.
Old 11-02-13, 09:02 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I'm in that minority, I have two feet, just the left doesn't work very well. So hillside assist is my friend.

I haven't been able to duplicate the seat belt alarm by pushing on the back of the front seat. I'll try again next week. Seems odd to me. I thought the seat belt alarm was watching downward pressure on the seat bottom.
I suspect that pushing on the back of the front seat might not be enough to duplicate the pressure from moving the front seat back really hard against a backward-facing child seat. That was done to give more leg room to a particularly tall front seat passenger. I didn't realize how hard until I got the false seatbelt alarm. But you're right that downward pressure on the seat is what you would expect to trigger a seatbelt alarm if the seatbelt isn't connected.
Old 11-02-13, 10:15 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lack of Sunglasses Holder

We are disappointed not to have an overhead compartment for our sunglasses in our '11 RX350. I'm using the cup holder. Our '04 Highlander has one as does our friends' Accord.

Also, regarding the Hill Assist feature. There may be local laws forbidding holding a hill with the transmission, probably written with standard transmission in mind. Think San Francisco.
Old 11-03-13, 07:12 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
We are disappointed not to have an overhead compartment for our sunglasses in our '11 RX350. I'm using the cup holder. Our '04 Highlander has one as does our friends' Accord.
Yep, pushed the emergency call button when we were test driving. I still reach up in that direction when I get in my wife's RX, have not found a permanent place for my sunglasses in her car yet.

In my car, a Kia Sportage, my sunglasses are in the compartment, I guess I will have to get my own RX to break the habit. :-)
Old 11-03-13, 07:16 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
Yep, pushed the emergency call button when we were test driving. I still reach up in that direction when I get in my wife's RX, have not found a permanent place for my sunglasses in her car yet.

In my car, a Kia Sportage, my sunglasses are in the compartment, I guess I will have to get my own RX to break the habit. :-)
Geez; you would think they did away with the steering wheel; adjust people!!! PLUS, you drive a KIA?????

Last edited by dctex99; 11-03-13 at 04:16 PM. Reason: don't understand how people think ???
Old 11-03-13, 08:27 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
Geez; you would think they did away with the steering wheel; adjust people!!!
It is an ANNOYANCE, It did not keep us from purchasing the car. Get a grip.
Old 11-03-13, 08:27 AM
tfischer

Oh my God!
It is not a legal violation to hold the car on a hill using only the transmission. Really bad or very new drivers might do that, but after replacing a clutch or two they will learn how to use a stick shift. Surely even dumb drivers can figure out that a clutch is subject to wear only during the process of engaging or disengaging; is it subject to no wear at all when fully engaged or disengaged. After all that friction I would think the smell alone would send a signal.
The penalty for not knowing how a clutch works on a hill is having to buy a new clutch for your own car or having to buy a new radiator for the car behind you. We have few repeat offenders in this category.
Finally, I am indeed thinking of San Francisco where all local drivers would be well aware of how to handle a car with a stick shift on a hill.
Doesn't anybody learn physics any more?

Last edited by tfischer; 11-03-13 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Removed negative references to the NSA.
Old 11-03-13, 12:52 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that Hill Assist has no laws against it. Mfgrs couldn't make it available otherwise. The Lexus implementation if you put the RX in HOLD mode just before pressing the accelerator to prevent the car possibly going backward, only exists for 2 seconds max if you don't hit the accelerator, then it beeps and turns itself off.

FWIW, my 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLK goes a step further with their implementation of what in our Lexus world we call "Hill Assist" and allows me to place my SLK in HOLD any time that I'm stopped (flat surface or a hill -- does not matter) and it stays that way until I press on the accelerator. The idea being, if you're stopped in traffic for a long time, you can put the vehicle in HOLD, take your foot off the brake and when you eventually need to go, just accelerate, at which time the car releases HOLD. This is possible because the car has an electronic brake that is engaged and then disengaged automatically by the HOLD function. Also, perhaps of interest, is my SLK will automatically release the parking brake when I start the car and go forward or reverse -- never an issue if I forget to do it myself and ignore the Parking Brake idiot light.
Old 11-03-13, 01:21 PM
tfischer

I don't think that Ray was saying that the stupid "Hill Assist" was illegal, but rather that riding the clutch (instead of the brake) had been outlawed. What should be outlawed is giving a license to someone who thinks that's a good idea.

Quick Reply: Annoyances