RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 buying tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 08:51 AM
uro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 buying tips

Hi

I'm a newbie here! We are planning to get a RX350 this week.
MSRP is 49530; Online price quoted by 3 GA dealers 45297 (through AMEX car buying)
Since 2014 is going to be around the corner, what is the fair discount I should be aiming for?
The lease rebate 1500 - would that work if I buy the car through finance?
any suggestions / preference on North Georgia dealers?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-13, 09:17 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in Sept. of last year we bought a new 2013 RX. The MSRP was 49,180 and we got it for 44,600 and the dealer added tinted windows and body side moldings. You're not too far off, but you could probably get a little more. Good luck.
Old 08-12-13, 10:14 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I just bought a CPO

Hello
I am a 'newbie' too. I just bought my RX but bought a 'loaner' or 'program car? It had a few thousand miles on it but was loaded with the options. I got 8500 off list. But it was 'used' but still a 2013 and comes with the factory warranty but includes the 3 year 100,000 mile which runs concurrent.
Old 08-12-13, 11:44 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NorthGa
Hello
I am a 'newbie' too. I just bought my RX but bought a 'loaner' or 'program car? It had a few thousand miles on it but was loaded with the options. I got 8500 off list. But it was 'used' but still a 2013 and comes with the factory warranty but includes the 3 year 100,000 mile which runs concurrent.
Is it me but I think thats kinda expensive, especially for a used Rx. My dad got $6200 off msrp (of 50489) for a brand new one. Loaner cars tend to get abused which is another reason why I would stay away from them. I would have went for a new one if the difference isn't much.
Congrats on the purchase!
Old 08-12-13, 06:12 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I agree that the pricing on the '13's have gone up. In June of'12 I bought my new RX-350, a 2012 model loaded for over $6,500 off of MSRP. In February of this year I bought my Wife's new IS-250 2012 model for $8,500 less than MSRP.
Try to buy the RX the last day of the month for the best deal. Do research on amexauto, Edmunds and truecar.
Old 08-13-13, 06:02 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I am not sure how to take the 'congrats'?

In one 'breath' I am complimented on my purchase......then in the next 'breath' it is kinda inferred I got taken. And in another 'breath' it is inferred I'm not too smart in purchasing a CPO???? "They're beat to death"???
1. I know the dealership. 2. I know the tech's in the shop 3. The vehicle was checked from stem to stern and 4. The warranty does cover "IF" something were to develop????

Pricing is regional. Plus when one haggles/negotiates with a 'trade' that complicates the 'numbers' as to what one really/actually gets for a 'discount'.

Maybe I am being too sensitive but some of the comments were insensitive.

I'm sure I'll get rebuffed for this

Last edited by NorthGa; 08-13-13 at 11:11 AM. Reason: bad wording
Old 08-13-13, 06:33 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
In one 'breath' I am complimented on my purchase......then in the next 'breath' it is kinda inferred I got taken. And in another 'breath' it is inferred I'm not too smart in purchasing a CPO???? "They're beat to death"???
1. I know the dealership. 2. I know the tech's in the shop 3. The vehicle was checked from stem to stern and 4. The warranty does cover "IF" something were to develop????

Pricing is regional. Plus when one haggles/negotiates with a 'trade' that complicates the 'numbers' as to what one really/actually gets for a 'discount'.

Maybe I am being too sensitive but some of the comments were out of line.

I'm sure I'll get rebuffed for this
Don't worry about it. If the deal felt right for you, it was a good, regardless of what someone else thinks.

My 2-cents: Forums like this have lots of people with lots of opinions for the good and sometimes bad of it. To your point on the number of variables, I couldn't agree more. It's why I personally stay away from responding to (and reading) most threads wanting to discuss price and if it's a "good deal or not", and I never talk specific dollars paid on my ride for just that reason. There will always be someone that thinks a better deal is around the corner or they could have done better, but no one else was in your specific shoes and circumstance at the time you signed your name on the dotted line. Just be happy with your decision, enjoy your ride, and move on.
Old 08-13-13, 07:59 AM
uro
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys
I strongly agree with BertL. However these forums are greatly helpful to know that you fall in the height of the bell on the distribution curve, ie you are not getting ripped off.

I am surprised macL was able to get 5K off from MSRP back in Sept 2012 when 2013 was pretty new model.
That raises a question if I would be able to get same kind of discount on the new 2014 which is going to be here in few weeks (may be through costco). confused now!!
Old 08-13-13, 11:20 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default Thank you

I appreciate the 'supportive' comments.

To the person 'looking'. If you are close to the Atlanta area it seems that Nally and Hennessy on the north side are pretty competitive against each other. On the south side is the dealership in Union City. I found their prices to be higher than the dealerships on the North; but their stock is pretty good.

If you are close to Atlanta and will be doing your maintenance and other there I can point you in the direction of good service for the vehicle.
Old 08-13-13, 04:05 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uro
Thank you guys
I strongly agree with BertL. However these forums are greatly helpful to know that you fall in the height of the bell on the distribution curve, ie you are not getting ripped off.

I am surprised macL was able to get 5K off from MSRP back in Sept 2012 when 2013 was pretty new model.
That raises a question if I would be able to get same kind of discount on the new 2014 which is going to be here in few weeks (may be through costco). confused now!!
Deals vary around the country and by dealer. They also vary over time and even within a specific month (hint end of month often better). Lexus sends through invisible dealer incentives when they need to move cars. In the end, it comes down to what you can negotiate and what is available at that time. I've owned at least one Lexus (sometimes up to three) since 1994. Here is what I have learned. First, don't sweat the price. These cars lose value so fast that the $500, $1K or $2K is nothing in the long run. But, try and get a good deal. At any point in time that might be something in the $5K to $7K off sticker depending on RX model and equipment. On your specific 2014 question, I would think that discounts not to different from 2013 discounts will show up within a month or so of their arrival ... maybe even for some dealership at their arrival. 2014 will not have any changes over 2013 and the 3rd gen RX has been out for a while now. This advice of course is not good for brand new models and a new gen vehicle, but that is not the case here. In the end, you need to develop a feel for your local geographical area and dealers. Even better develop a personal relationship with a senior sales person or sales manager at your dealership. My sales rep emails me whenever some really good incentives come through the system ... when that happens it is pretty easy to just walk into the dealership and get a fantastic deal. They even have specials on trade-ins (10% over kbb, for example), service and other items. The 10% over kbb they offered me a week or so ago, would have been worth just under $4k ... while they were heavily discounting the 2013's at the same time. That is an example of how you can get something like $9,000 or $10,000 off a total deal ... but, that was a somewhat rare case.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-13-13 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 06:59 AM
uro
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the well rounded summary. I got another $600 off and got the RX350.
Amazing machine...loving it.
did not take any additional warranty. may be in future
send some tips to the new Lexus owner
Thanks a lot folks