Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Owner's Manual Quote

Old 05-10-13, 11:19 AM   #1
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Owner's Manual Quote

Maybe I am just in a goofy mood today, but this quote from the owner's manual made me laugh:

"Fingernails may scrape against the door during operation of the door handle.
Be careful not to injure fingernails or damage the surface of the door." (Page 71)

Please be careful not to injure your fingernails (or even worse...the door) next time you take the RX out for a drive!

Happy Friday!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Rxstarfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:37 PM   #2
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

LOL, that's a good one. The only thing I found was a typo. Can't remember where.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 08:55 PM   #3
Poisson
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxstarfire View Post
"Fingernails may scrape against the door during operation of the door handle.
Be careful not to injure fingernails or damage the surface of the door." (Page 71)
Happy Friday!
Not as silly as it sounds. Lots of cars have scratches in the hollow behind the door handle caused by long fingernails. That's why people buy liners or put 3M film in there.

On a similar note, many (all?) Nikon SLRs have a little wheel next to the viewfinder to adjust the viewfinder focus to your eyes. The manual always has a warning about poking yourself in the eye.

Last edited by Poisson; 05-10-13 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Poisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 12:11 AM   #4
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Perhaps even more dangerous are women's diamond rings. Engagement rings are worn on the left hand and that would be the hand normally used to open the driver's side door. Not so much on the passenger side as you would use your right hand to open that door. There you have a problem with college and other such rings scratching the paint.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:24 AM   #5
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

FWIW... I suspect many obvious or "CYA" sort of statements we find these days in owners manuals, terms and conditions, and even on disposable coffee cups or fast food hot apple pies (it's HOT you know) are there because companies have to try and protect themselves from (additional) litigation or warranty claims for things that really should be the customer's problem. I too get a chuckle out of some of the statements -- generally first wondering if its some translation oddity. ...some things in Asia, like pop t-shirts and their word selection can be hilarious.

In my business days, I ended up having to do the same thing with our hardware/software/services terms some times... as customer complaints, excessive claims, or thankfully seldom litigation would occur, if we couldn't make a reasonable product or offering change, we would sometimes add terms or operational instructions to prevent or protect ourselves from the same exposure occurring again. If we had not taken that action, our costs would go up as more people took advantage of the situation (at least from our perspective), forcing our prices to then increase to every other normal and reasonable customer as we built-in and then spread costs for a growing number of odd exceptions. I suspect there is probably a story we'll never know behind most of these odd sort of statements we find in Lexus or other manuals for similar reasons.
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 08:12 AM   #6
mac12
Pole Position

At one of the self-serve places where I buy gas the pump's computer asks, "Do you want a receipt today"? Naw, just mail it to me tomorrow.
Old 05-11-13, 03:18 PM   #7
rayaans
Lead Lap

my wifes mercedes manual says "pressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal may cause an accident when preparing to brake"
Old 05-11-13, 03:25 PM   #8
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayaans View Post
my wifes mercedes manual says "pressing the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal may cause an accident when preparing to brake"
Oh, that is the best one yet. My dog woke up and gave me the stare -- I'm still chuckling out loud.
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 03:25 PM

Tags
350, figernail, lexus, manual, owners, rx