RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wheel Lock Master Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 07:44 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheel locks on my old Highlander got stripped when the local Firestone dealer was rotating the tires. He replaced them at no charge but said in his experience they all ultimately get stripped and he really doesn't recommend them.

Rather than get stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to change a tire, I went back to the old non-locking ones.
Old 03-10-13, 03:12 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Great info. I'd rather order the spares for $15-$20 than buy it from the dealer at 10X that price.
Old 03-10-13, 05:30 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymagic
...but said in his experience they all ultimately get stripped and he really doesn't recommend them.
FWIW, I've had no such problems using McGard locks on 7 different brand automobiles and 13 vehicles in just under 39 years (now, that dates me!). I can see where companies doing wheel and tire work may prefer customers not use them, as their life would be just a little bit simpler each time they have to remove and replace each wheel, with less chance of a company's employee damaging them. For me, as has been said, the locks may not prevent every kind of theft, but I like the piece of mind they provide as a deterrent. They're on my 2013 RX450h, and my new MBZ roadster will have them when I take delivery in the next month.

I just love we all have choices with options and accessories like this.
Old 03-11-13, 06:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a lock break on me after having tire service at the dealer (overtightened). Good thing I was trying to switch to a winter set of tires/wheels and not fix a flat. I had to drive for a few days with 1 summer tire and 3 winter tires while I sorted out this problem. Took some dremeling and modifications to the lock adapter to get that nasty thing out.

I know now, there is a certain size socket that can be hammered-on the lock to remove it, broken or otherwise. It offers minor protection against thieves.

Wheel locks are not a problem when you have an impact wrench, it is the OEM tire iron that only puts the force on one side that will either break it or strip it.

Personally, after that experience, if I had an option of not having it on my vehicle, I would not. My aftermarket wheel sets for both vehicles do not have it.

P.S.
If you put a little grease inside of lug nuts so they do not become seized over time, it will minimize the chance of a break. And no, they will not go loose. Learned that trick from one of mechanics.
Old 03-12-13, 07:32 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Of course they have a master key. Otherwise, how do you expect someone is going to unlock your wheel when you lost your key?

There must be more than one set of Master keys.
I'm confused here. Is everyone thinking that there is one master key that fits all these different wheel locks? Because, that's not the case. The dealer just has a set of keys with all the different patterns. There are about 12 different ones I believe. BTW, I work at a Lexus dealership.
Old 03-12-13, 07:47 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by offroad200
I'm confused here. Is everyone thinking that there is one master key that fits all these different wheel locks? Because, that's not the case. The dealer just has a set of keys with all the different patterns. There are about 12 different ones I believe. BTW, I work at a Lexus dealership.
...and that makes me feel a whole lot better. I personally didn't think "one fit all", but it could have been "one does fit all purchased via Lexus". Glad that isn't the case. Thanks for jumping in.
Old 03-12-13, 02:50 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by BertL
...and that makes me feel a whole lot better. I personally didn't think "one fit all", but it could have been "one does fit all purchased via Lexus". Glad that isn't the case. Thanks for jumping in.
My understanding is that there is a master key device where when the this device is put on a wheel lock, it automatically adjust to the unique wheel lock pattern until you feel the grip which then allows you to apply torque to turn the lock.
Old 03-12-13, 09:09 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I know there isn't just one key for all but like mentioned above I was informed that the locks purchased from Lexus or if it came with the car they all have the same key.
Old 03-18-13, 08:59 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
My understanding is that there is a master key device where when the this device is put on a wheel lock, it automatically adjust to the unique wheel lock pattern until you feel the grip which then allows you to apply torque to turn the lock.
I just talked to one of our mechanics. Apparently there is a "gator socket" of some sort that will conform to the lock pattern to take the key off. And he also stated that it only works about 2 times before it breaks. I can only speak to what we do at our dealership. We have a set of keys with all the patterns. And the mechanics use hardened keys for torque gun use. So they are different than what comes with the car, but only strenth wise. The cars come new with random patterns of which there are 10 different patterns (not 12 like I previously posted).
Old 03-18-13, 10:45 AM
BertL

Offroad, greatly appreciate your follow-through and clarification! THANK YOU
Old 06-19-15, 11:14 AM
rolielex
Driver School Candidate

Default Master wheel lock

Hi... its a set of 10 different wheel lock keys. Toyota and Lexus have 10 different wheel locks keys ..
Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Whenever my dealer rotate my tires, they never use the wheel lock key stored in my trunk because they said they have a master key that can open all wheel locks. Since each set of wheel locks has a unique design, does anyone know how the master key works? Just curious.
Old 06-19-15, 01:19 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, plenty of info on YouTube on how to defeat your wheel locks. Just saying.
Old 06-20-15, 05:24 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Don't even go to Lexus. All the wheel locks are made by McGard. You can easily order a spare key from them. It's part of my ritual every time I buy a new car to register the key info (it's in a bag with the owners manual), and at the same time I send a check for a spare key which I keep in my garage just in case... Something like $15-$20 with shipping. ...or just call their customer service with your key registration info here
I did this YEARS ago, but had long since stopped buying wheel locks. My CPO 2013 RX450H came with the wheel locks installed and key in the cargo area. I have no information regarding any code to use for ordering a replacement/spare key. I guess I'll keep mine safe in the cargo area? And rely on Lexus and their master key.
My previous vehicle, a 2012 Cadillac SRX, came with dealer installed wheel locks as well. I did receive the original packaging for the locks, with the OEM lugs inserted in place of the locks. I don't recall seeing any info on ordering replacement key(s), and the locks actually were labeled as GM and not MacGuard. I remember once being at the dealer and not telling them where my key was. They were ready to "break off the locks..." (paraphrasing) when I remembered and pointed out the location of the key.
Old 12-17-16, 04:24 AM
Fraun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billy44bo
When I take my car to the Lexus dealer here I am told the same thing but I always make a small chalk mark on the inside edge to the tires to make sure that they are moved around like they should be.
There is no single master key, we don't have some magical shape shifting socket, we have what's called a "wheel lock key master set" you can get them at the parts counter and it has every stock wheel lock key that lexus, Toyota, and scion use, it's a set of it costs $300 for me and that's with my discount, it comes as a set of 20 but we only ever use ten of them because the other ten are really really really old
Old 12-20-16, 11:44 AM
cmdsr
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 LS430 lug nut key

Don't even go to Lexus. All the wheel locks are made by McGard. You can easily order a spare key from them. It's part of my ritual every time I buy a new car to register the key info (it's in a bag with the owners manual), and at the same time I send a check for a spare key which I keep in my garage just in case... Something like $15-$20 with shipping. ...or just call their customer service with your key registration info here
I noticed that BertL's link was broken, so I thought I would post this note. I took BertL's took his advice and ordered a new one for my LS430 after mine broke today (I have a 2001, so 15 years of service doesn't seem bad). I didn't have the registration information, which is needed to place the order online, so I called McGard (800-444-5847 then 3 for customer service). The customer service rep had me take a picture of one of my lock lugs so she could see the pattern. I emailed her the picture along with the year, make, model, my name and number. She called back within about 30 minutes and I placed the order. The cost is about $15 with free shipping.

Thanks BertL!

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Master Key