RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wheel Lock Master Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 07:32 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Master Key

Whenever my dealer rotate my tires, they never use the wheel lock key stored in my trunk because they said they have a master key that can open all wheel locks. Since each set of wheel locks has a unique design, does anyone know how the master key works? Just curious.
Old 03-09-13, 09:27 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

When I take my car to the Lexus dealer here I am told the same thing but I always make a small chalk mark on the inside edge to the tires to make sure that they are moved around like they should be.
Old 03-09-13, 12:29 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahhh, a master key? Depressing. That sort of defeats the premise of the locks....theifs can attain masters and the entire premise is destroyed. Did not appear from the looks a Master would work, or hopefully there is many sets of Masters based on the design
Old 03-09-13, 12:41 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dolphin
ahhh, a master key? Depressing. That sort of defeats the premise of the locks....theifs can attain masters and the entire premise is destroyed. Did not appear from the looks a Master would work, or hopefully there is many sets of Masters based on the design
Of course they have a master key. Otherwise, how do you expect someone is going to unlock your wheel when you lost your key?

There must be more than one set of Master keys.
Old 03-09-13, 12:57 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I get my services done at Toyota and the tech there said I don't need to give him the wheel lock key if the wheel locks are oem or if it was put on by the dealership when I bought my car or if it's the wheel locks the dealership sells. I asked why and he said they are all the same. We have the wheel lock key so no need to give us a key to rotate ur tires. I stand there next to them as they perform all services so I actually was surprised to see him be able to use his key and take my wheels off. So I'm guessing we all have the same key and design. Defeats the purpose of having wheel locks imo.
Old 03-09-13, 01:04 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

I say get some expensive aftermarket ones if your really concerned about someone stealing ur rims. I don't park my Lexus outside over night so I really have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-09-13, 01:08 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting idea on the concept of a master key. I'd never considered that having had McGard locks on all of my vehicles for some 30+ years. This may well be the case for locks purchased via Lexus or within some other mfgr environment. Here is an extract from the McGard site FAQs that would lead one to believe there is some magic a dealer can do:
7. Can my New Car Dealership assist me with servicing my McGard Wheel Locks?

If you need immediate assistance and have an Original Equipment Wheel Lock Set on your vehicle, please contact your franchised new car dealership as they may be able to assist you immediately...
On the other hand, I know of at least two cars in more recent years (including one Lexus) where I purchased McGard locks from sources other than the OEM and installed them myself, and my spare wheel lock key had always been used after tires were rotated. Hummm. Must be something to this at least having master keys within the same auto mfgr for locks purchased from them... I learned something today!
Old 03-09-13, 01:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess the thought is Lexus drivers wont steal from Lexus drivers
Old 03-09-13, 01:10 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by RXSF
I guess the thought is Lexus drivers wont steal from Lexus drivers
Exactly!
Old 03-09-13, 01:40 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I guess most Lexus vehicles are sold with the wheel locks.All of my neighbors, friends,and my two Lexus vehicles have wheel locks.

When I bought new Michelins at Costco for my son's Camry the Tech asked for the wheel lock key,so at least Costco doesn't have a master key.
Old 03-09-13, 03:08 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I guess most Lexus vehicles are sold with the wheel locks.All of my neighbors, friends,and my two Lexus vehicles have wheel locks.

When I bought new Michelins at Costco for my son's Camry the Tech asked for the wheel lock key,so at least Costco doesn't have a master key.
And neither does discount tire, they asked for my key last week also.
Old 03-09-13, 03:13 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Just curious, how much would the wheel lock key cost us at a lexus dealer if the one received with the car was lost?
Old 03-09-13, 03:41 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Just curious, how much would the wheel lock key cost us at a lexus dealer if the one received with the car was lost?
Don't even go to Lexus. All the wheel locks are made by McGard. You can easily order a spare key from them. It's part of my ritual every time I buy a new car to register the key info (it's in a bag with the owners manual), and at the same time I send a check for a spare key which I keep in my garage just in case... Something like $15-$20 with shipping. ...or just call their customer service with your key registration info here
Old 03-09-13, 05:44 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

I just got two spare McGuard keys for $15 incl. freight, pretty fair...

Seems that Lexus has their own set of Masters, maybe each car maker does...so this cuts down on the number of masters floating around. I park my car in garage every night as well....however, during mid day light, in big parking lot, had all 4 tires lifted, car was on cinder blocks.... lump in throat... no wheel locks then, but have used them ever since. Good thread, never considered this master key issue before... the goal is, to slow down the thiefs...but if you park in the same place very often, they have time to study what you have, so consider that as well. I wonder if the RX alarm would go off?? that is often the best deterent...
Old 03-09-13, 07:08 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

When the weather get warmer, I will try to see if my RX350 wheel lock key can unlock my GS350 wheel lock, and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Master Key