RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Danger in buying a new design model in first year out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 05:02 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I see no issue with going with a 2013... I have a RX450h and its been flawless coming up on 8 months. Recognize it is a mid-life update, not a redesign, so it's really just a major set of refinements with some cosmetic changes. Not to be worried with, all for the good.

In terms of what "your daddy said", I believe in recent years you need to consider first the brand and their track record. Some brands don't have a great track record on reliability, and that is exacerbated with poor customer service to help smooth over any rough spots. Lexus is a premium brand with a proven track record of quality vehicles... When they have had a problem, my experience has always been they stand behind it and make it right. There are exceptions I know some others may be able to cite, but I would not agree with your generic statement these days, as perhaps I would have 10-20 years or more ago. I have owned 1st year Lexus product, some of the first off the line, for example my 2006 RX400h which was the first premium brand hybrid, and I took delivery within the first month of it being available here in the US... I had no issues with it for the first several years, and it eventually ended up with a series of recall items that were all handled without incident, a loaner, and stellar service. Perhaps the worst example was my 2002 SC430, which I ordered back in 2001 via a "per-order" list... I didn't get delivery for nearly 8 months, and that was because Lexus was making thousands a month ... with thousands in the backlog and I suspect it started to impact quality somewhat (that's not an issue today!)... My problems were not safety related, all cosmetic... A paint problem under the clear coat on the hood and I believe the dealer cut the carpet during prep, requiring the entire inside of the vehicle to be taken out over the course of a week and new carpet to be installed... All the while, I had a loaner, and the car was delivered back with a full tank of gas... Despite that, I still say my SC was the best car I've ever owned. Net of all that is -- I'm never worried with Lexus given my experience with the brand since 1995. One German brand I've had poor reliability and service issues with, and will never own the brand again because of my 2-year experience. We have choices these days. Other brands beyond Lexus and that other one I've owned in the past 20 years (you'll see it in my signature below), I would research a whole lot more (as I recently did before pulling the trigger ordering a new MBZ SLK), but I would not start with the old philosophy your "daddy" once conveyed. You'll love your Lexus if you decide to be part of the family..