RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

cargo mat, covers 2nd row seats when down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 01:47 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cargo mat, covers 2nd row seats when down?

Does anyone make a cargo mat that affixes to the rear of the 2nd row seats, so when they are in the down position, they are protected as well? I carry stuff, not people.... so 2nd row seats always down...but can't put fixed cargo liner as the few times I need the seats up.... I figured Weather Tech would make a hinged protector...as the RX doesn't have much cargo area when 2nd row seats are up... ?

In addition, anyone install the Weather tech mud guards? any pix?

Last edited by Dolphin; 01-03-13 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added last question
Old 01-03-13, 03:13 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were looking at new Outbacks before getting our CPO and a common accessory was seat back protectors. Durable plastic shells that covered the seat backs. I assumed this was something either Lexus or the aftermarket would have for the RX but have yet to find a suitable solution. It seems like a perfect product for WeatherTech too.
Old 01-03-13, 03:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm not aware of any cargo mats that affix to the back of the second row seats. You can try buying another cargo mat or a plastic runner and cut it to fit. Most of the area should be protected.

Have you checked out the Lexus mud guards? They're $56.58 once you create an account with Sewell. The fit is seamless. And no drilling required either.

What are you hauling? It sounds like you need a Lexus pickup instead, LOL.
Old 01-03-13, 06:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Another idea, find someone that refinishes car or boat interiors. They could fabricate a custom cover made out of durable material to fit the cargo area and include straps to fasten to the back seats. I had one cut and re-edge the carpeted floor mats so they could fit around aftermarket speakers I had installed. He also altered all weather mats from Lloyds to go on top of them. The fit and finish was unbelievable.
Old 01-04-13, 11:31 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was transporting some new flat cardboard moving boxes over the holidays, and in order to get them to fit in the trunk completely flat, folded one side of the flaps to go right up against the back of the 2nd row seats.

I ended up having one left over - and have left it in there! i have put my cargo liner on top of the box now (so it looks "normal" back there), and the exposed part of the cardboard from the box is still completely covering the back of the seat - not the most elegant option, but this might do? Technically, you can paint the exposed portion of the cardboard...

I haven't tried, but I assume if I fold the seats down, the cardboard will just go flat as well.

For reference, these were the usual cardboard boxes from Home Depot, I think sized 28x28x28 (they call them the "Extra Large" box)

**If anyone wants a photo, PM me your email - will be happy to send out!
Old 01-04-13, 12:07 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Good suggestions.... hybridlexy has the right concept, except I was hoping to match the cargo mats throughout the cargo area :-)
I guess buying an extra cargo mat and having it cut up, and attached to seat backs is feasible idea, I might investigate that...

As with most of these projects, they tend to take on a life of their own, when there is no ready-made option avail.

Some OTS (Off The Shelf) solutions I thought of....
a roll up barrier (protector), here is pix of one hanging out the rear...

Next, a simple cargo organizer... leave over back seats when folded down, when I need back seats upright, I move the cargo organizer to the back, where it was designed to be.... this one folds flat, which is nice....
notice the back-of-seat protector in the image, made for that vehicle obviously...

Old 01-05-13, 08:30 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

A good reason not to make assumptions about "no changes between model years"....
from Weather Tech....
In regards to the comparison between the 2012 model and the 2013 model, Lexus did make changes to the floor of the front of the vehicle. They specifically made changes to the retention devices that hold the floor products in place. So while the overall body may have remained the same, there were changes made that forced us to alter the design of our product(s).
Old 01-05-13, 09:05 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

Actually, if you go with an oem Lexus cargo liner like I did for my 2010, it actually comes in two pieces - one cut for the wider section nearer to the life gate, and one more "rectangular" for the area closer to the back seats ( hope that makes sense!)

What I'm getting at is - you can possibly acquire this cargo liner, and only use the top portion...since it's the exact width, cutting might not even be necessary! I guess the only thing to consider will below to fix it onto the back seat...heavy duty stapler?
Old 01-05-13, 09:10 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

How are your two pieces joined?
Yes, this might be a good idea, next, how to join to back of seat.... I will check to see if the Lexus Cargo linger still comes in two pieces for 2013, it would look nice if they all matched...thx
Old 01-05-13, 12:20 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do a google search for Lexus RX 450h (or 350) canine cargo, you will see a range of cargo liners that do what you want. Hereare some samples:

http://www.autoanything.com/pet-trav...3A10107A1.aspx

http://www.juicedhybrid.com/Lexus-RX...at-p/36977.htm

http://www.cargoliner.com/ultimate-p...lexus/rx_450h/

Last edited by UCSB; 01-05-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-06-13, 11:37 AM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Thanks UCSB for info on canine cargo liners. I ordered one from juicedhybrid even though I was tempted to go with the liner on autoanything for $59.