RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sport Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 06:58 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Sport Mode Question

In my last car (Audi A6) when I kicked the transmission to Sport Mode it would hold upshifts and downshifts so the RPM stayed higher allowing for faster passing. Is this also true on the 2010 RX? A few times I had to pass a car on a rural road where only certain sections can pass and I put it into S Mode I felt no different then regular mode in regards to shifting to be more responsive?

The only time seems more aggressive with shifting is on the highway since the display says default 4th gear on entering this mode, but on the highway. Am I required to manually shift it also when trying to pass say from around 30-40mph?

For my driving habits I never use the Triptronic (Not sure what Lexus calls the manual feature). I keep it in D except when passing on rural roads where I shift to S pass then back to D. On highways I keep it in D as their is no urgent reason to pass like on rural stretches where the dotted line might not be for another 10 miles.

Thanks

Last edited by satnav; 01-01-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 07:16 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

S is for semi-automatic. It is a maximum gear limiter, not a gear selector. It also does not change the shift programming at all. It will not allow the car to upshift beyond your commanded gear. You can (and I have) bounce off the rev limiter. However, if you leave it in S4 and are cruising at 60mph and mat the throttle, it will downshift. When you let off, it will upshift to 4th.
Old 01-01-13, 07:39 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

S is for shiftable or selectable, not sport. It allows the driver to select a specific gear and hold that gear within specific RPM/load parameters. The shiftable mode is ideally suited for selecting a lower gear for descending grades without smoking your brakes, or allowing the driver to hold a gear while smoothly accelerating/decelerating on a curvy road. In preparation for passing another vehicle, the driver may select a lower gear to raise the RPM's for a given speed allowing for increased throttle response and more predictable acceleration. Of course, the aforementioned uses of a gear selectable automatic transmission are completely foreign concepts to the majority of vehicle operators.
Old 01-01-13, 07:53 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

oh I see thanks. I guess I will shift to lower gear if I need to pass rapidly. So another question I am wondering is why does my car default to 4th gear even at a stop when put into Selectable Gear Mode; I would think it should be in 1 then?

I had thought it would only use 4 gears, but from the clarification above that's not true since the shift programing is not changed.
Old 01-02-13, 04:13 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im pretty sure 2010's dont have a sport mode? The S stands for selectable shifting.
Old 01-02-13, 08:30 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panyo64
S is for semi-automatic. It is a maximum gear limiter, not a gear selector. It also does not change the shift programming at all. It will not allow the car to upshift beyond your commanded gear. You can (and I have) bounce off the rev limiter. However, if you leave it in S4 and are cruising at 60mph and mat the throttle, it will downshift. When you let off, it will upshift to 4th.
I'm not sure S stands for "semi-automatic" sounds more like a gun than a car

But when shifting from D to S, the shift programming does change in that "AI-SHIFT" is disabled when in S. Although S mode is supposed to limit the highest gear, your car will shift to a higher gear if you over rev it.

see page 19 of PDF file (page 160 of 2010 owner's manual)
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-01.pdf
Old 01-02-13, 08:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

On my 330 with this feature, it was called sequential trans shifting or something to that effect. I don't have the exact wording in front of me at the moment. I used it mostly to downshift in the snow, similar to the days when I drove manual. I haven't tried it in the 450h to pass someone. There's enough power when I press on the gas.
Old 11-04-13, 12:29 PM
yurium
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this thread is dead yet. I just bought my first RX 350 2 weeks ago (Canadian 2010 Touring package with Nav and all) and still learning the car.
Maybe I got used to driving newer BMW's with ECO-Pro mode and 8-speed transmissions, but when driving in the city I want to get as much fuel economy as possible and I've noticed that when driving my RX in D mode I kept thinking "c'mon, shift the gear already!". I had a feeling that it doesn't use all the gears and if I'm driving like 60km/h it probably sits at 4th and I have to force it to shift by manipulating with the acceleration pedal (depress or release at certain points, then it seems to shift).

I then started experimenting with the S-mode, thinking initially that it was a Sports mode with manual gear shifts (I know, RTFM ), but I've noticed that even when leaving it at 6th at all times, it shifts much smoother and faster, and seems to always keep the revs below 1500 (again, I'm talking about city commute type of driving with traffic lights and constant start-stops). Overall the car becomes lazier and smoother, but that's exactly what I need in the morning traffic. So I'll keep experimenting and need to check how much the fuel consumption is affected, but I think I found a way to worry less about using too much rev when not needed.

Cheers