RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Second Class Service At a Luxury Price

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 11:29 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Class Service At a Luxury Price

We really like out 2011 RX! However why is it that we pay a premium price for a luxury vehicle and get "second class" service? Don't misunderstand. I do not me poor quality service. I don't know if it is a national sales pitch or just here in Pittsburgh, but one can by any Toyota and get two years of all required maintenance FREE. By a Lexus and other than a free oil change and a 5,000 and 10,000mile check up we get zip. Please do not go on about being able a luxury car and complain about the price. I just find it interesting that we pay a premium price for a great vehicle and do not get the same level of service that comes with a "basic" Toyota.
Old 11-30-12, 02:43 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't. Lexus is a glorified Toyota no matter how you look at it. The sooner you accept it, the better you feel
Old 11-30-12, 02:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you look at the Cost Of Ownership for all luxury brands, Consumer Reports gives them all low ratings. One just needs to realize that going in when you buy one, and look for ways to save money if you can, and want to.
Old 11-30-12, 02:55 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota felt it had to win back customers due to all the negative publicitiy with various recalls. So they offer the free maintenance. Lexus doesn't have that public perception so there is no need for them to do this. This is simply good business. Since you were never offered free maintenance, you are getting what you paid for. If you want free maintenance you'll have to buy a Toyota. Although Lexus is made by Toyota, I don't agree with cossie1600 that it is a glorified Toyota. Unless, by glorified, he means a much better quality vehicle. Toyota and Lexus both share good quality and reliability, but the driving experience of a Lexus is far superior to a Toyota. IMO
Old 11-30-12, 04:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
Toyota felt it had to win back customers due to all the negative publicitiy with various recalls. So they offer the free maintenance. Lexus doesn't have that public perception so there is no need for them to do this. This is simply good business. Since you were never offered free maintenance, you are getting what you paid for. If you want free maintenance you'll have to buy a Toyota. Although Lexus is made by Toyota, I don't agree with cossie1600 that it is a glorified Toyota. Unless, by glorified, he means a much better quality vehicle. Toyota and Lexus both share good quality and reliability, but the driving experience of a Lexus is far superior to a Toyota. IMO
I agree - and so what that Lexus has this "glorified Toyota" stigma. Is Audi a glorified VW? Jaguar and Range Rover contain glorified Ford parts? Volvo with Mazda, etc. Who cares... The point is these "glorified" vehicles are enhanced versions of their counterparts and in the case of Lexus are enhanced vehicles on top of an already great vehicle/product line by Toyota. And these so called "glorified Toyotas" win top awards year after year since 1989.

Regarding servicing, most servicing I've done at Lexus was usually free of charge - either the first two free oil changes or fixing a squeak here and there. When it was actually time to service my Lexus, I went to my nearest Toyota dealer and saved a tonne. And here's where I'm happy it's a "glorified Toyota" here I as a consumer can benefit from this. Example, the last Oil and Lube Service I did for my RXh in the Fall cost me only 72$ at Toyota with tax. Lexus wanted over 200$. That's over 60% cheaper. Sure the creature comforts at the Toyota waiting room are lacking and you have to wait for your car or for the Sienna shuttle "bus", but that 1 hour for me was worth saving 150$. I did the same thing for my CT and saved a similar amount and future out-of-pocket visits will always be at Toyota so long as they can keep providing the same warranty-approved service.

I get the same end result (for the car) at the unglorified Toyota price.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-30-12 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-12, 04:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

cafpaf, I'm not sure the title of your thread accurately matches your statements. Instead it's a matter of cost. And we're not really getting less. Look at it this way. Service is free basically for 18 months, just 6 months shy of Toyota maintenance plan. Lexus also offers roadside assistance for four years, Toyota half that amount. It's not as bad as you think.
Old 11-30-12, 04:27 PM
jt3944481
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cafpaf
We really like out 2011 RX! However why is it that we pay a premium price for a luxury vehicle and get "second class" service? Don't misunderstand. I do not me poor quality service. I don't know if it is a national sales pitch or just here in Pittsburgh, but one can by any Toyota and get two years of all required maintenance FREE. By a Lexus and other than a free oil change and a 5,000 and 10,000mile check up we get zip. Please do not go on about being able a luxury car and complain about the price. I just find it interesting that we pay a premium price for a great vehicle and do not get the same level of service that comes with a "basic" Toyota.
gotta pay to play=)

but yeah i feel ripped off as well, I didnt even get no free oil change!
I got a free 1k mile check up lol

I drove 20 Miles to have My IS glanced at at the dealer and left=) O and they had to kill trees to give me some free paper with ink on it to say My IS is great! lol

no they didn't wash it either lol I already had detailed it myself so after going I was like.... Why did I evem waste my time Today! lol
Old 11-30-12, 07:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread started as a rant so I'm going to end it with a Lexus positive. The highest rated insurance company USAA has given the Lexus RX a best buy. And if you compare the comparable Toyota, the Highlander Hybrid, the price is only a little less but big difference in car and resale. The Lexus CT is only a little more than the Prius V fully equipped. 'nuff said. Closing the thread to stop the rant.

Last edited by Cruiter; 11-30-12 at 07:38 PM.