RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 - Very strange issues ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 07:23 PM
HelpPlease
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 - Very strange issues ...

Here is the issue as best that can be described, please note that it is not my vehicle, it is my parents car. I am trying to help them out as they seem to be getting a bit of the run around with the dealer. I would try to take a look at it myself and do some trouble shooting but I live about a 4 hour flight away.... I am going to be as descriptive as possible here.

My parents own a 2012 Lexus Rx350 and a 2008 Toyota Rav4. About 2 weeks ago my mother went into the garage and started the Rav4 heading out to run some errands. As she was warming up the vehicle (with the garage door open of course) she looked beside her to see the Lexus windows go down and then up again, then down again on their own. She waiting for them to go back up and when they didn’t she got out of the Rav4, got into the Rx350 and put the power windows back up. They stayed up so aside from being really strange she just thought that the signals got crossed because both cars are Toyota/Lexus (This is how my mother thinks, don’t judge haha) No issues for the next week.

About 1 week later my mother took the 350Rx out to work, left it parked outside as usual, with all of the windows up, sunroof closed etc. When she came back at the end of her shift she got in the car and when she pushed the button to start the vehicle she had an error code come up. It said something along the lines of “Can’t recognize key or key error” something close to that. Since there really is no key just a transmitter she keeps with her she kept pushing the button until the error code eventually said something like “car is immobilized”. When she continued to try the engine kept making a clicking sound like a bar starter in an older car. Being stubborn she kept trying and after about 30 minutes the car actually started and she was able to drive it home. The car did not drive normally – Personally I would of pulled over and got it towed but not everyone thinks the same. She drove it home but all the while she said it seemed like it was flooded and not running smooth. I think they only issue she knows about a car is flooding, so just because that is how she describes it doesn’t mean that’s what it was doing, from her description the idling seemed really off.

Once home called the dealer and they said they have never heard of anything like that. Said if it ever happened again call them so they can see the issue, don’t try to go any further on your own. Well last week it happened again this time in the garage at their house, they called, someone came to look at the car got it started and every error code you can think of came up, from gear issues to temperature issues, I mean everything from what she is describing.

The dealer right now is at a loss, they don’t know what the issue is and my parents told them to keep it and are looking to get a different one. Of course the dealer wants more time before trying to get them into a different vehicle not even sure they would do that without a big fight.

Has anyone here experienced anything like this? Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Other things to consider even though it may not matter.
Lexus did install a remote start on the car when it was being purchased.
Apparently it is a “sports mode”l or at least not the basic if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your time and help on this.
Old 11-11-12, 09:08 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the first problem (windows going down in garage): if you press and hold down the unlock button on the Lexus remote, all of the windows will go down. If she had the remote in her purse and somehow the key was being pressed it might explain that behavior.

On the second problem: if she is keeping the key in her purse and the buttons are being pressed or held down, it is possible that the battery in the key fob was very low and hence the error message. But, I would have expected the dealer to replace the key fob battery and this would solve that problem.

One more possibility is that an electronic component in the car or key fob is failing. First thing to do is switch to the second key fob and see if the problems go away.
Old 11-12-12, 03:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There have been reports of the windows going down on their own while parked, and I don't think anyone has had a definite explanation or solution as to why. Your situation is very odd, I don't think you have much choice but to let the dealer and Lexus figure it out. If necessary get Lexus Corporate involved in case dealer throws up his hands and tells you there is nothing they can do.
Old 11-12-12, 03:19 PM
GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did they buy it new? if the window has been replaced for any reason, i believe there is a setup procedure and if not done the windows act all weird. just food for thought. doubt this is the culprit of the problem at hand.
Old 11-12-12, 05:16 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The windows going up by themselves is really strange. The remote is not capable of raising the windows. It can only lower them.