Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Differences in Brands of Premium for RX

Old 09-25-12, 10:17 PM   #16
Sevn86
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Naazim Maredia Sevn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
Another Shell V Power user. There aren't too many BPs by me but I might give it a try. I just filled up over the weekend so it'll be another week and a half before I can test it out. There doesn't seem to be a big price difference. The $.10 surcharge for using a credit card is what bothers me more. I don't like walking around with cash. It can get expensive real fast filling up nowadays. I don't have to pump my own gas but at least I know how to
Those $0.10 surcharge for using credit drives me crazy too. Gas stations add that cuz they have to pay a credit card fee No matter how big or small the amount is and they want to make up for it. If u hand them cash they don't have a fee to pay so u get the discounted price. Same concept will go into affect at my dads gas station this coming week, they call it cash or gift card price or something like that.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Has Premium, Comfort, and Nav packages, Factory Chrome 19" Sport Wheels, Tow Prep Package, Intuitive Park Assist, WeatherTech Digital Floor Liners, Llumar Window Tint 30% Front/ Limo Rear, V-LED Conversion Complete For Interior & Exterior Lights, HID Fog Lights, Custom License Plate, SES Chrome Door Handle Covers
Future Mods Complete
Build Thread
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 06:20 PM   #17
Marqevans
Pole Position

Default Premium is now $.40 higher per gallon at Mobil

My 2012 doesn't require premium but I use to think the extra mileage I got was worth the difference in price. It is now $.40 more per gallon which is about 12% higher than regular making it a poor choice.
Marqevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 07:04 PM   #18
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Well, I tried BP and wasn't happy with the results. So I'm back to Shell V Power . It's more convenient too. There are four stations within five miles. The closest BPs are further away and not in the best locations. I think the price per gallon was the same from two weeks ago. But I can't really complain about the cost since I only fill up twice a month.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 08:51 PM   #19
Sevn86
Lexus Test Driver

Naazim Maredia Sevn86

On my 6th tank of Phillips 66 Premium and I have to say its pretty good gas. Better gas mileage then shell was giving me. Car doesn't vibrate randomly and engine is very quite now too. Gas is currently costing station owners in Houston 3.12 per gallon for regular but the price is still 3.49 for consumers. Just wanted to let yall know since i know how much it costs my dad. Its slowly coming down though. Gotta make up for loses when gas prices shoot up randomly.
Has Premium, Comfort, and Nav packages, Factory Chrome 19" Sport Wheels, Tow Prep Package, Intuitive Park Assist, WeatherTech Digital Floor Liners, Llumar Window Tint 30% Front/ Limo Rear, V-LED Conversion Complete For Interior & Exterior Lights, HID Fog Lights, Custom License Plate, SES Chrome Door Handle Covers
Future Mods Complete
Build Thread

Last edited by Sevn86; 10-24-12 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10-24-12, 10:14 PM   #20
panyo64
Lead Lap

Hahahahaha. I put Hess in my truck. The local Hess is one of the only gas stations I've seen in the NY Metro area that doesn't charge a higher price for credit. That is how you earn my business.

And seriously folks, if it's good enough for my buddy's 580whp blown, stock bottom end LS3 Corvette, which will violently ventilate the block if it gets bad gas, it's good enough for the Camry motor in my appliance.
Gone
2011 IS350 AWD 2010 RX350, 2008 IS250AWD, 2007 RX350AWD, 2006 GTO, 2006 GTO, 2004 G35 6MT, 1992 SC400
panyo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 09:26 AM   #21
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Perhaps it's an octane difference? Here in SoCal, 91 = Premium, but I've read here on CL some folks get 93 in the East. I don't know if that means there are different octane levels of premium at different stations in the East or not, which may be part of your answer. Also, if you are interested, there are other threads debating the value of regular vs "premium" on the RX -- some believing there is a MPG difference, others still debating it.

FWIW, I always use premium in my RX450h since that's what Lexus recommends, but I'd never use Shell here in the vicinity where I live -- their stations are consistently 20-40 cents or more per gallon over 76 Stations which tend to be 10-20 cents per gallon over Costco where I try to always go if I can.
93 octane is definitely different from 91. Firstly it is more expensive to produce a higher octane gasoline and therefore more expensive at the pump. I don't remember anymore if the octane number is MON (motor octane number) or RON (research octane number) or something else. It is suppose to give better mileage excluding ethanol additives. But is the added cost justifies the additional mpg it gives? Here in the westcoast 91 is the highest that is available.
LeoDLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 11:56 AM   #22
dctex99
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDLion View Post
93 octane is definitely different from 91. Firstly it is more expensive to produce a higher octane gasoline and therefore more expensive at the pump. I don't remember anymore if the octane number is MON (motor octane number) or RON (research octane number) or something else. It is suppose to give better mileage excluding ethanol additives. But is the added cost justifies the additional mpg it gives? Here in the westcoast 91 is the highest that is available.
At least you don't have the terrible "winter gas" that we have here in CA; I am coming to Las Vegas for the SEMA show next week and will fill all the time to water down my CA gas......
Previous::: 98 Lincoln Town Car
01 Grand Prix GT
96 Grand Am GT
85 30th Anniv Thunderbird
83 Thunderbird[/SIZE]
dctex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 05:11 PM   #23
Driver School Candidate

I have heard that the sticker fuel economy numbers are generated using 100 percent REAL gas. Does anyone know if this is true?

Too bad all the gas i can find to buy is 10 percent corn. At one time I could find a few stations still selling REAL gas by searching using an internet site. I have found many on that site at one time held out with the real mccoy, but couldn't get it anymore from the supplier even though consumer demand is there.
2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 08:11 PM   #24
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Send a message via AIM to LexRexBlue

We get winter gas in NJ which drives down mpg. The BP Ultimate and Shell premium are 93 octane.
Most of my cars have never gotten the posted mpg except for my 2008 IS. It consistently surpasses the posted highway mpg without any effort to get better mpg.
LexRexBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 10:00 PM   #25
Sevn86
Lexus Test Driver

Naazim Maredia Sevn86

Gas prices have dropped again tonight, costing station owners 2.94 a gallon for regular in Houston but prices at the pump still remain at $3.39.
Future Mods Complete
Build Thread
Old 10-25-12, 10:00 PM