RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Differences in Brands of Premium for RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 09:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Another Shell V Power user. There aren't too many BPs by me but I might give it a try. I just filled up over the weekend so it'll be another week and a half before I can test it out. There doesn't seem to be a big price difference. The $.10 surcharge for using a credit card is what bothers me more. I don't like walking around with cash. It can get expensive real fast filling up nowadays. I don't have to pump my own gas but at least I know how to
Those $0.10 surcharge for using credit drives me crazy too. Gas stations add that cuz they have to pay a credit card fee No matter how big or small the amount is and they want to make up for it. If u hand them cash they don't have a fee to pay so u get the discounted price. Same concept will go into affect at my dads gas station this coming week, they call it cash or gift card price or something like that.
Old 10-24-12, 05:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Premium is now $.40 higher per gallon at Mobil

My 2012 doesn't require premium but I use to think the extra mileage I got was worth the difference in price. It is now $.40 more per gallon which is about 12% higher than regular making it a poor choice.
Old 10-24-12, 06:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, I tried BP and wasn't happy with the results. So I'm back to Shell V Power . It's more convenient too. There are four stations within five miles. The closest BPs are further away and not in the best locations. I think the price per gallon was the same from two weeks ago. But I can't really complain about the cost since I only fill up twice a month.
Old 10-24-12, 07:51 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

On my 6th tank of Phillips 66 Premium and I have to say its pretty good gas. Better gas mileage then shell was giving me. Car doesn't vibrate randomly and engine is very quite now too. Gas is currently costing station owners in Houston 3.12 per gallon for regular but the price is still 3.49 for consumers. Just wanted to let yall know since i know how much it costs my dad. Its slowly coming down though. Gotta make up for loses when gas prices shoot up randomly.

Last edited by Sevn86; 10-24-12 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-24-12, 09:14 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Hahahahaha. I put Hess in my truck. The local Hess is one of the only gas stations I've seen in the NY Metro area that doesn't charge a higher price for credit. That is how you earn my business.

And seriously folks, if it's good enough for my buddy's 580whp blown, stock bottom end LS3 Corvette, which will violently ventilate the block if it gets bad gas, it's good enough for the Camry motor in my appliance.
Old 10-25-12, 08:26 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Perhaps it's an octane difference? Here in SoCal, 91 = Premium, but I've read here on CL some folks get 93 in the East. I don't know if that means there are different octane levels of premium at different stations in the East or not, which may be part of your answer. Also, if you are interested, there are other threads debating the value of regular vs "premium" on the RX -- some believing there is a MPG difference, others still debating it.

FWIW, I always use premium in my RX450h since that's what Lexus recommends, but I'd never use Shell here in the vicinity where I live -- their stations are consistently 20-40 cents or more per gallon over 76 Stations which tend to be 10-20 cents per gallon over Costco where I try to always go if I can.
93 octane is definitely different from 91. Firstly it is more expensive to produce a higher octane gasoline and therefore more expensive at the pump. I don't remember anymore if the octane number is MON (motor octane number) or RON (research octane number) or something else. It is suppose to give better mileage excluding ethanol additives. But is the added cost justifies the additional mpg it gives? Here in the westcoast 91 is the highest that is available.
Old 10-25-12, 10:56 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
93 octane is definitely different from 91. Firstly it is more expensive to produce a higher octane gasoline and therefore more expensive at the pump. I don't remember anymore if the octane number is MON (motor octane number) or RON (research octane number) or something else. It is suppose to give better mileage excluding ethanol additives. But is the added cost justifies the additional mpg it gives? Here in the westcoast 91 is the highest that is available.
At least you don't have the terrible "winter gas" that we have here in CA; I am coming to Las Vegas for the SEMA show next week and will fill all the time to water down my CA gas......
Old 10-25-12, 04:11 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that the sticker fuel economy numbers are generated using 100 percent REAL gas. Does anyone know if this is true?

Too bad all the gas i can find to buy is 10 percent corn. At one time I could find a few stations still selling REAL gas by searching using an internet site. I have found many on that site at one time held out with the real mccoy, but couldn't get it anymore from the supplier even though consumer demand is there.
Old 10-25-12, 07:11 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We get winter gas in NJ which drives down mpg. The BP Ultimate and Shell premium are 93 octane.
Most of my cars have never gotten the posted mpg except for my 2008 IS. It consistently surpasses the posted highway mpg without any effort to get better mpg.
Old 10-25-12, 09:00 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Gas prices have dropped again tonight, costing station owners 2.94 a gallon for regular in Houston but prices at the pump still remain at $3.39.