RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 fwd rx for $44,398 good price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 01:02 AM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 fwd rx for $44,398 good price?

Need your opinion...first time buying a Lexus

2013 stargazer black, dark gray interior

Got an offer for:
Navi (didn't want,but was told needed to have because I want BSM and parking assist)
Comfort pkg
Parking assist
19" alloy wheels
Premium pkg with blind spot monitor (BSM)
Towing prep pkg

Msrp. : 48,905
Selling price without bargaining: 44,398 (9.2% disc)
Dealer installing remote engine start: $595
Front. Driver & passenger window tint: $240
Total : 45233
OTD : 48,423

Is this a good price?

Also, is the parking assist (~500) really worth it. I was told that in order to get the BSM and parking assist, they are only available in cars with Navi system (~3k). So essentially if I really want the parking assist, it's going to cost me approx $3500 more.

They'll be delivering that car (by driving it) from Dallas to el paso, TX. Is it Good to have the car doing all that freeway driving for the first 1000 miles?

Also, want to sell/trade in my 2001 Nissan pathfinder with 80k miles. But was advised to sell to a dealer locally, I don't feel comfortable selling thru Craigslist and dealing with possible crazies! I was hoping to use trade to reduce some tax liability too. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks so much !
Old 08-09-12, 03:19 AM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, it looks like to be a good price as my dealer can only do $1600 off!
Yes, try to do the trade, as that will save You money on the taxes and the hassle of selling the car by yourself.
Also, You can try carmax to get the idea how much You will get for Your car.
Which dealership is this and they already have the BSM cars in stock?
Thank You.
Old 08-09-12, 03:32 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Good deal.
Old 08-09-12, 07:06 AM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

This is Sewell in Dallas. Very professional.

Can someone comment if it's good for the car to travel the first 1000 miles via freeway as they will be delivering the car to me that way.

Thanks so much !
Old 08-09-12, 08:48 AM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deal sounds good.

I would try to push for $48,000 OTD

Lexus needs to move cars so every dealer are being very aggressive.

It will not hurt to ask for more.
Old 08-09-12, 08:40 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great deal to me...
Old 08-10-12, 07:31 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011RX350
Sounds like a great deal to me...
Got an offer for:
Navi (didn't want,but was told needed to have because I want BSM and parking assist) - Good to have navi especially on a luxury vehicle.
Comfort pkg
Parking assist - I think this is a must have.
19" alloy wheels
Towing prep pkg

Selling price without bargaining: 44,398 (9.2% disc) - if this is below invoice price then it's good.
Dealer installing remote engine start: $595 - my ref this is a waste of money.
Front. Driver & passenger window tint: $240 - you can get a whole car tine for less than 200...

Is this a good price?

Also, is the parking assist (~500) really worth it. I was told that in order to get the BSM and parking assist, they are only available in cars with Navi system (~3k). So essentially if I really want the parking assist, it's going to cost me approx $3500 more.
- if parking assist save one time for hitting another object then you pretty much get your money worth...
Old 08-10-12, 07:43 AM
Bgmom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaolin
Got an offer for:
Navi (didn't want,but was told needed to have because I want BSM and parking assist) - Good to have navi especially on a luxury vehicle.
Comfort pkg
Parking assist - I think this is a must have.
19" alloy wheels
Towing prep pkg

Selling price without bargaining: 44,398 (9.2% disc) - if this is below invoice price then it's good.
Dealer installing remote engine start: $595 - my ref this is a waste of money.
Front. Driver & passenger window tint: $240 - you can get a whole car tine for less than 200...

Is this a good price?

- if parking assist save one time for hitting another object then you pretty much get your money worth...

Thanks for the tips!!
Old 08-10-12, 12:33 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default By Way of Comparison

Originally Posted by Bgmom
Need your opinion...first time buying a Lexus

2013 stargazer black, dark gray interior

Got an offer for:
Navi (didn't want,but was told needed to have because I want BSM and parking assist)
Comfort pkg
Parking assist
19" alloy wheels
Towing prep pkg

Selling price without bargaining: 44,398 (9.2% disc)
Dealer installing remote engine start: $595
Front. Driver & passenger window tint: $240

Is this a good price?

They'll be delivering that car (by driving it) from Dallas to el paso, TX. Is it Good to have the car doing all that freeway driving for the first 1000 miles?

Also, want to sell/trade in my 2001 Nissan pathfinder with 80k miles. But was advised to sell to a dealer locally, I don't feel comfortable selling thru Craigslist and dealing with possible crazies! I was hoping to use trade to reduce some tax liability too. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks so much !
I can't quite tell exactly what kind of deal you got but I can share my own recent experience purchasing a 2013 AWD RX 350 with navigation, blind-spot monitor and parking assist feature. The parking assist is a good option because it complements the backup camera that comes with the navigation package. My last Lexus didn't have that feature and at night, when the backup camera didn't do much to let me know if I was about to run into something, I often wished I had an audible warning device too. The parking assist option provides such a warning device, meaning an audible beep to let you know you are approaching an object..
My options totaled $7,705 and the processing fees were $875 giving me a total sticker of $49,290 . I used the Costco auto purchase service, which is free to members, and got a price of $47,100 with no dickering. I checked a number of sources and they all indicated that the price I got was a "fair market" price for that vehicle. This is my third RX, by the way, and I have obviously been very pleased. I only regret having wasted money by buying an extended warranty on my first RX . The RX's that I've owned have been near-perfect. They are the best vehicles I have ever owned and that includes Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac and Lincoln Continental. I think the optons you have chosen are all fine and I believe you will enjoy your RX 350. My only quibble would be with your decision to forego AWD. Four-wheel drive is not just for snow, it is also good on wet pavement. And when you trade your RX, you'll pretty well get back the full cost of the AWD option.
An aternative to Craigs List for selling your Pathfinder might be Carmax. They will buy a car on the spot and based on my experience their prices are fair. You might get a bit more by selling it yourself but then again you won't have as much hassle. I used Carmax to keep my dealer honest. The price quoted by Carmax was $500 higher than the dealer was offering for my trade but the sales tax differences (you pay sales tax on the full purchase price if you don't have a trade in) made it pretty much a wash and not worth the hassle of dealing with TWO car outfits. However, had the dealer not raised his offer for my trade-in by $500 after I questioned his initial offer, I would have sold to Carmax.
As for having your RX driven 1000 miles before you get it, I would not go for that. The dealer should be able to arrange for the vehicle to be transported by truck. Of course, if he is willing to discount your RX substantially to make up for the added miles and accompanying loss of warranty, that might make it OK.
Good luck with your purchase. You are going to get a very good vehicle and your dealer, being in the Lexus organization, is likely to be first-rate.
Old 08-10-12, 06:37 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgmom
This is Sewell in Dallas. Very professional.

Can someone comment if it's good for the car to travel the first 1000 miles via freeway as they will be delivering the car to me that way.

Thanks so much !
You got a great price, and some very good options. Sewell is very nice to deliver your car several hundred miles, and save you from doing the same. You would also have to go there to get it, plus an overnight hotel stay. If you haven't signed yet, ask them to deliver on a trailer as part of the clinched deal, while expressing your concerns about the recommended first 1000 mile break in period. All or most of the 1000 mile break in probably shouldn't be 70 mph plus. Would be nice not to have so many miles and wear before you even get to drive it. Also, with the great price, I don't think you would get a very good trade in offer, especially Nissan, even with the little bit of sales tax savings. You will probably get a better offer locally and not be under pressure going to Dallas.
We drove down from Oklahoma to buy our 2013 at Sewell (Dallas) and are also happy. Drove around Dallas several days during break in, and drove back home today.