RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 10:16 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use truecar.com, much easier. no games, they email you the price and you call it a day.

I didn't buy my RX new, but I had a Lexus dealership played the trade in game with me. The dealership low balled me on his first offer, the offer was so insulting that I just left. I ended up buying a RX 4 weeks later at a Mercedes dealer, their first offer was $1500 more than Lexus, I ended up closing the deal when they were willing to offer an additional $1K
Old 10-09-12, 06:55 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlegurl
I live in Chicago (with a 9.25% sales tax) and wanted to buy a 2013 RX450h, my closest dealer quote me $57800 (not including the taxes and document charges) with the luxury package. Is this a good deal? Any help is appreciated...
What is the MSRP, and Invoice?

Complete list of options with itemized prices?

How much are they charging you for "doc fee?"
Old 10-09-12, 07:10 AM
saz25
Rookie

"This past weekend I went to Hennessy Lexus in Gwinnett for a 2013 AWD RX450h. Sticker was 58380.00 and the Vehicle Inquiry that the salesman provided showed an invoice of 55415.00

The initial offer by the dealer was invoice. The deal quickly fell apart after the dealing with the trade. Carmax offered me 32k about a month and a half ago so I taken slightly back when the dealer offered 27500. "

Dealers would love to sell you a Lexus at invoice. They are making at least $2,500 (some months even more) on hold-backs, incentives, residuals, etc. That's why you need to give a number that amounts to at least $2000 below invoice and tell them you'll buy it from another dealer if they won't meet your price.
Steve
Old 10-09-12, 05:36 PM
dapriett
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased this couple days ago:

2013 RX350 AWD
Stargazer Black
Black w/Semi-Aniline Leather Seat Trim
Premium Package
Comfort Package
Navigation Package
Preferred Accessory Package
Intuitive Parking Assist
Wood & Leather-Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift ****
MSRP Price: $49,065
Sale Price: $44,950
Old 10-09-12, 06:15 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dapriett
Just purchased this couple days ago:

2013 RX350 AWD
Stargazer Black
Black w/Semi-Aniline Leather Seat Trim
Premium Package
Comfort Package
Navigation Package
Preferred Accessory Package
Intuitive Parking Assist
Wood & Leather-Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift ****
MSRP Price: $49,065
Sale Price: $44,950
Sounds like a pretty good deal.....Many on here have to realize that everyone is not going to a dealelr to screw them down to making $5 on a car; you can't keep the doors open that way. Just a fair deal like yours is great!!
Old 10-09-12, 07:56 PM
dknn
Rookie

Thanks all for letting me vent and giving me some insight.

To complete the story, the salesperson called me this past Saturday and asked me to come back in as they had a new price. At this point, I have basically written Lexus off and was looking at other vehicles, but had nothing to lose so I stopped by.

This time the general sales manager helped me and said he could take another 500 bucks off as "getting below invoice on an RX450 is unheard of and wants to complete this deal." I told him to give me the numbers so I can review them and they are exactly the same as the previous transaction. After questioning the numbers, he reproduces another paper, this time with the roughly 500 dollar discount. However, there is a nitrogen tire fee of 89.00 and now the registration fee is a whopping 500.00 because I am registering the vehicle in Florida since I'm a Florida resident, along with the dealer fee of 489.00.

Usually when I buy vehicles out of state, I am given the option of paying sales tax at the dealer or while registering the vehicle. The dealer gives me a temp tag and I deal with registering the car myself. Not according to the manager. He is required to collect the 500 dollar fee to pay a 3rd party to register the vehicle for me. Yet, the Infiniti dealer had no problems with letting me handle my own taxes and registration.

I questioned the nitrogen fee and his response was, "why wouldn't you want nitrogen?" After telling him, I could probably get nitrogen elsewhere cheaper and that if Lexus delivers vehicles without nitrogen, I am fine with what the manufacture recommends. Additionally, I ask the dealer if they really deflate all their tires on the lot upon delivery and refill them with nitrogen.

I did reiterate that I was disappointed with how I was treated last time and the manager stated that this salesperson has been trying really hard to help me and that he sells plenty of vehicles. And with that, I shook his and hand told them I'll think about the deal.

What bothers me is that these dealer tactics are not what I would expect at a Lexus dealership. When I purchased my Volt and Highlander, I didn't have to put up with all this BS. All those deals were pretty straight forward.

At this point, I am pretty much done with Lexus and now deciding between an X5 diesel or a JX35.
Old 10-09-12, 09:25 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

use truecar.com, all prices are up front

I drove a X5 diesel before I bought my RXh, frankly it handled even worse than the RXh and it just felt a little 1990s inside
Old 10-10-12, 01:14 AM
saz25
Rookie

Originally Posted by dknn
Thanks all for letting me vent and giving me some insight.

To complete the story, the salesperson called me this past Saturday and asked me to come back in as they had a new price. At this point, I have basically written Lexus off and was looking at other vehicles, but had nothing to lose so I stopped by.

This time the general sales manager helped me and said he could take another 500 bucks off as "getting below invoice on an RX450 is unheard of and wants to complete this deal." I told him to give me the numbers so I can review them and they are exactly the same as the previous transaction. After questioning the numbers, he reproduces another paper, this time with the roughly 500 dollar discount. However, there is a nitrogen tire fee of 89.00 and now the registration fee is a whopping 500.00 because I am registering the vehicle in Florida since I'm a Florida resident, along with the dealer fee of 489.00.

Usually when I buy vehicles out of state, I am given the option of paying sales tax at the dealer or while registering the vehicle. The dealer gives me a temp tag and I deal with registering the car myself. Not according to the manager. He is required to collect the 500 dollar fee to pay a 3rd party to register the vehicle for me. Yet, the Infiniti dealer had no problems with letting me handle my own taxes and registration.

I questioned the nitrogen fee and his response was, "why wouldn't you want nitrogen?" After telling him, I could probably get nitrogen elsewhere cheaper and that if Lexus delivers vehicles without nitrogen, I am fine with what the manufacture recommends. Additionally, I ask the dealer if they really deflate all their tires on the lot upon delivery and refill them with nitrogen.

I did reiterate that I was disappointed with how I was treated last time and the manager stated that this salesperson has been trying really hard to help me and that he sells plenty of vehicles. And with that, I shook his and hand told them I'll think about the deal.

What bothers me is that these dealer tactics are not what I would expect at a Lexus dealership. When I purchased my Volt and Highlander, I didn't have to put up with all this BS. All those deals were pretty straight forward.

At this point, I am pretty much done with Lexus and now deciding between an X5 diesel or a JX35.
With all due respect, when he called you, you now had leverage. You could have discussed this all on the phone without wasting your time going back to the dealership. Once you did, they can pressure you more.

What you experienced was not a specific to Lexus. This is just a shady dealer.

Many people buy RX450 for significantly below invoice; like $1000 off and more.

The nitrogen thing is crap. Just another high priced dealer add on, for which to say no.

Same with dealer fee. Refuse to pay it.

I bought cars out off state. They just give you temp plates or they drive you across the border. You register it yourself.

I would still consider Lexus. Just call another dealer on the phone. Tell them what you are looking for a what you will pay. All on the phone.

You don't want the dealer to tell you the invoice price etc. You get them at KBB or Edmunds.

Good luck.
Steve
Old 10-10-12, 08:22 AM
Littlegurl
Driver School Candidate

MSRP is $58912.00... got the dealer to go with $56741.00 so roughly about $2000 off MSRP.
DOC fee is $161
There's an electronic filing fee of $25.00
so subtotal is $56927.39
Sales tax (9.25%) = 5265.78
Cook County Tax $15
License and title fee is $120
So the total comes out to $62328.17

Here is the list of stuff I got on the car:

Navigation Sys w/Voice Command, Backup Camera
Lexus Enform w/Destination Assist and ......
eDestination, App Suite, SiriusXM NavTraffic,
NavWeather, Stocks Sports & Fuel prices (1-ye
trial subscription included) ...............
Intuitive Parking Assist ...................
Luxury Package w/Blind Spot Monitor System:
Leather Trim Interior, Blind Spot Monitor System
One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power-folding
Electrochromic Heated Outside Mirrors, Driver
Seat/Steering/Mirror Memory-3 settings, Roof

Wood & Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift 330.00
Cargo Mat ..................................
Cargo Net ..................................
Wheel Locks ................................

In other words I got he luxury package and as accessories I for the cargo mats, net and wheel locks (the dealer insisted that is how the car came)

Yes I know Chicago's tax is high and also all that fee is crazy... but I guess that's what I get for living in the windy city.
Old 10-10-12, 08:33 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Littlegurl
MSRP is $58912.00... got the dealer to go with $56741.00 so roughly about $2000 off MSRP.
DOC fee is $161
There's an electronic filing fee of $25.00
so subtotal is $56927.39
Sales tax (9.25%) = 5265.78
Cook County Tax $15
License and title fee is $120
So the total comes out to $62328.17

Here is the list of stuff I got on the car:

Navigation Sys w/Voice Command, Backup Camera
Lexus Enform w/Destination Assist and ......
eDestination, App Suite, SiriusXM NavTraffic,
NavWeather, Stocks Sports & Fuel prices (1-ye
trial subscription included) ...............
Intuitive Parking Assist ...................
Luxury Package w/Blind Spot Monitor System:
Leather Trim Interior, Blind Spot Monitor System
One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power-folding
Electrochromic Heated Outside Mirrors, Driver
Seat/Steering/Mirror Memory-3 settings, Roof

Wood & Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift 330.00
Cargo Mat ..................................
Cargo Net ..................................
Wheel Locks ................................

In other words I got he luxury package and as accessories I for the cargo mats, net and wheel locks (the dealer insisted that is how the car came)

Yes I know Chicago's tax is high and also all that fee is crazy... but I guess that's what I get for living in the windy city.
To me, $2000 off MSRP is nothing. You should be able to get $4000 off MSRP pretty easily. Hack, according to this thread few grand below INVOICE is a fair game. So I'd say deal harder or look else where .
Old 10-10-12, 09:37 AM
saz25
Rookie

I agree, $2000 off MSRP is a joke. I'd walk out or perhaps I'd counter-offer $4500 off MSRP and tell them firmly that this is your only and final offer. If they meet it, without any other add-ons such as doc fees, etc. I'd consider it. No add-ons !!

If you still want to deal with this place, call on the phone and say that you would come in to buy (not to deal) if they agree to meet your price.

I see one of the biggest mistakes buyers make is that they ask the sales rep for a price. A buyer who is in control always does better.

Steve
Old 10-10-12, 11:04 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

re: Document fees; here is a link to what states can or cannot do;;some states don't mind you being ripped off!!!
http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/w...s-the-doc-fee/
Old 10-10-12, 01:34 PM
saz25
Rookie

Default Doc fees

Regarding Doc fees, since this keep coming up, I decided to create a separate thread entitled:

My campaign to eliminate or combat dealer "doc fees".

Maybe we should discuss this and educate people there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-doc-fees.html

Steve
Old 10-10-12, 02:00 PM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dctex99
re: Document fees; here is a link to what states can or cannot do;;some states don't mind you being ripped off!!!
http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/w...s-the-doc-fee/
This basically is a "legalized" extortion. A perfect example of how our politicians and the business scratch each others' back.
Old 10-10-12, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey bud sorry to here and I've purchase multiple vehicles from Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett and hosted many events there. They've always been amazing to deal with and completely customer service oriented. Very sorry to hear your story. I know them really well and please email me at seloc1@gmail.com I would like to help in any way. They've always stood behind the local Lexus community SELOC.

Sorry again to hear and let me know how I can help

Mike
Well I got the other side of the story. Got to do the due diligence to hear both sides. We are looking at RX 350 F-sports for the wife and it will be purchased from the incredible team at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a discount on a 2013 RX??