RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Use a Dashboard Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 12:28 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How do you make a $50,000 car depreciate to a $15,000 cheap import?
Answer: dash cover

How about if you want to go full blown cheap?
Answer: dash cover + steering wheel cover
Old 05-13-14, 03:50 AM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this.

Last edited by Kyle76; 05-13-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 04:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Like many have voiced already, I vote against the dash cover as it is tacky especially on a brand new Lexus.

Any of the alternatives mentioned are viable options but for me, I prefer the ease of occasionally applying a protectant such as Kyle76 mentions above.
Old 05-13-14, 06:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(Will admit that I had to go and look up what a 'dash cover' was because of this thread)

I was so much better not knowing....
Old 05-13-14, 08:17 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kyle, I actually uploaded pictures in previous posts, but if it is not done frequently, the process becomes fuzzy. I reviewed one source that was several years old and it was suggested not to use it. Another source said the pics have a maximum size of 800 x ? pixels (mine were larger). Another source says that a maximum of 3 pictures can be uploaded (I need 6). Another source says to "Upload your album." I don't have an album. Another source says do not use the quick reply, even though it appears that the ability to attach pictures is present (that is what I did because it appeared to be obvious). So, the methodology seems quite confusing in requirements and procedures. I was looking for, and expecting to see, an easy to understand procedure hosted by the webmaster to handle the various ways to upload. Your suggestion takes on an additional dimension to add to the options. I will make time to research this and perhaps come up with a unified attaching instruction set. Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I just looked at the tool bar above this reply window and there is the attach picture mountain icon.

Doc Dan
Old 05-13-14, 08:21 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDan
Kyle, I actually uploaded pictures in previous posts, but if it is not done frequently, the process becomes fuzzy. I reviewed one source that was several years old and it was suggested not to use it. Another source said the pics have a maximum size of 800 x ? pixels (mine were larger). Another source says that a maximum of 3 pictures can be uploaded (I need 6). Another source says to "Upload your album." I don't have an album. Another source says do not use the quick reply, even though it appears that the ability to attach pictures is present (that is what I did because it appeared to be obvious). So, the methodology seems quite confusing in requirements and procedures. I was looking for, and expecting to see, an easy to understand procedure hosted by the webmaster to handle the various ways to upload. Your suggestion takes on an additional dimension to add to the options. I will make time to research this and perhaps come up with a unified attaching instruction set. Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I just looked at the tool bar above this reply window and there is the attach picture mountain icon.

Doc Dan
The mountain icon is used to attach pictures that are hosted via a third party site (yahoo, photobucket, gmail, facebook, etc). The paperclip icon is the one used to attach a picture direct to your post. That picture is then hosted on the clublexus server.
Old 05-13-14, 08:28 AM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
The mountain icon is used to attach pictures that are hosted via a third party site (yahoo, photobucket, gmail, facebook, etc). The paperclip icon is the one used to attach a picture direct to your post. That picture is then hosted on the clublexus server.
That's cool. Thanks for clarifying. My work computer blocks third-party pictures like Photobucket, so I love it when someone puts pictures directly on the website, but I didn't know how to do it.
Old 05-14-14, 08:03 AM
DrDan
Rookie

I went to postimage.org and everything seemed OK last night when I shut down. They got my pics, but I never got as far as inserting them. Instead I played around with the Lexus methodology and got 5 of my 6 pics uploaded OK.

First thing this morning, my home page was hijacked. I immediately went to Control Panel looked for software I did not recognize, found it and killed it--I think-- and reset my home page.

The timing of shutting down as the last operation and the very first thing upon starting up was with a hijacked home page is too coincidental to me. I would avoid postimage.org

DrDan
Old 05-14-14, 08:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad you got it all straightened out. That looked like a lot of work to block out the sun. Have you considered UV tint? It basically blocks out nearly all the harmful rays that damage interiors. Unlike regular tint, it's virtually clear and can help reduce heat inside. The Texas sun must be pretty brutal.
Old 05-14-14, 08:55 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

OK folks, I asked for explicit instructions on how to upload pictures, but did not get a reply, so I "winged it" and it failed. Anybody have good uploading instructions from by desk computer?

In fact, if someone has good instructions, I will do a write up for others who might be intimidated by the process.

DrDan
Hi DrDan,
I too struggled with uploading pictures. If you have an iMac, I can help you by telling you how I did it.
I don't know how to do it on a PC, but there may be similarities.
Ray A.
Old 05-14-14, 01:25 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Anita, I am not worried about UV damage.
I am more concerned about wearing shorts and burning my butt on a hot leather seat.

And yes, Texas heat inside a car is brutal.

Dr Dan
Old 05-14-14, 01:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Anita, I am not worried about UV damage.
I am more concerned about wearing shorts and burning my butt on a hot leather seat.

And yes, Texas heat inside a car is brutal.

Dr Dan
How about preventing damage to your skin and eyes from the harmful UV rays? And the UV tint is supposed to lower the inside temp some which should help cool the seats. It's worth investigating. I know I would if I lived where you do.
Old 12-02-14, 12:59 PM
SoarerNZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCSB
Here is what I picked up, it is the windshield screen:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2655.html

The regular price is $30, but if you include your ClubLexus ID when you register the price will show as $25.

Many thanks for this tip, I've just saved quite a bit of money on an order with them.

FWIW, you need to create an account with them, and include your Club Lexus ID as part of the sign up process. The discounted prices then show when browsing items.