Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Use a Dashboard Cover?

Old 05-13-14, 12:28 AM   #16
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

How do you make a $50,000 car depreciate to a $15,000 cheap import?
Answer: dash cover

How about if you want to go full blown cheap?
Answer: dash cover + steering wheel cover
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White
markrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 03:50 AM   #17
Kyle76
Driver School Candidate

I use this.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Kyle76; 05-13-14 at 06:51 AM..
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 04:19 AM   #18
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion

Like many have voiced already, I vote against the dash cover as it is tacky especially on a brand new Lexus.

Any of the alternatives mentioned are viable options but for me, I prefer the ease of occasionally applying a protectant such as Kyle76 mentions above.

corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 06:11 AM   #19
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

(Will admit that I had to go and look up what a 'dash cover' was because of this thread)

I was so much better not knowing....

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:17 AM   #20
DrDan
Driver School Candidate

Kyle, I actually uploaded pictures in previous posts, but if it is not done frequently, the process becomes fuzzy. I reviewed one source that was several years old and it was suggested not to use it. Another source said the pics have a maximum size of 800 x ? pixels (mine were larger). Another source says that a maximum of 3 pictures can be uploaded (I need 6). Another source says to "Upload your album." I don't have an album. Another source says do not use the quick reply, even though it appears that the ability to attach pictures is present (that is what I did because it appeared to be obvious). So, the methodology seems quite confusing in requirements and procedures. I was looking for, and expecting to see, an easy to understand procedure hosted by the webmaster to handle the various ways to upload. Your suggestion takes on an additional dimension to add to the options. I will make time to research this and perhaps come up with a unified attaching instruction set. Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I just looked at the tool bar above this reply window and there is the attach picture mountain icon.

Doc Dan
DrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:21 AM   #21
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDan View Post
Kyle, I actually uploaded pictures in previous posts, but if it is not done frequently, the process becomes fuzzy. I reviewed one source that was several years old and it was suggested not to use it. Another source said the pics have a maximum size of 800 x ? pixels (mine were larger). Another source says that a maximum of 3 pictures can be uploaded (I need 6). Another source says to "Upload your album." I don't have an album. Another source says do not use the quick reply, even though it appears that the ability to attach pictures is present (that is what I did because it appeared to be obvious). So, the methodology seems quite confusing in requirements and procedures. I was looking for, and expecting to see, an easy to understand procedure hosted by the webmaster to handle the various ways to upload. Your suggestion takes on an additional dimension to add to the options. I will make time to research this and perhaps come up with a unified attaching instruction set. Thanks for your reply.

In fact, I just looked at the tool bar above this reply window and there is the attach picture mountain icon.

Doc Dan
The mountain icon is used to attach pictures that are hosted via a third party site (yahoo, photobucket, gmail, facebook, etc). The paperclip icon is the one used to attach a picture direct to your post. That picture is then hosted on the clublexus server.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:28 AM   #22
Kyle76
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
The mountain icon is used to attach pictures that are hosted via a third party site (yahoo, photobucket, gmail, facebook, etc). The paperclip icon is the one used to attach a picture direct to your post. That picture is then hosted on the clublexus server.
That's cool. Thanks for clarifying. My work computer blocks third-party pictures like Photobucket, so I love it when someone puts pictures directly on the website, but I didn't know how to do it.
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 08:03 AM   #23
DrDan
Driver School Candidate

I went to postimage.org and everything seemed OK last night when I shut down. They got my pics, but I never got as far as inserting them. Instead I played around with the Lexus methodology and got 5 of my 6 pics uploaded OK.

First thing this morning, my home page was hijacked. I immediately went to Control Panel looked for software I did not recognize, found it and killed it--I think-- and reset my home page.

The timing of shutting down as the last operation and the very first thing upon starting up was with a hijacked home page is too coincidental to me. I would avoid postimage.org

DrDan
Old 05-14-14, 08:22 AM   #24
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Glad you got it all straightened out. That looked like a lot of work to block out the sun. Have you considered UV tint? It basically blocks out nearly all the harmful rays that damage interiors. Unlike regular tint, it's virtually clear and can help reduce heat inside. The Texas sun must be pretty brutal.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 08:55 AM   #25
raylor4
Lead Lap

Quote:
OK folks, I asked for explicit instructions on how to upload pictures, but did not get a reply, so I "winged it" and it failed. Anybody have good uploading instructions from by desk computer?

In fact, if someone has good instructions, I will do a write up for others who might be intimidated by the process.

DrDan
Hi DrDan,
I too struggled with uploading pictures. If you have an iMac, I can help you by telling you how I did it.
I don't know how to do it on a PC, but there may be similarities.
Ray A.
Old 05-14-14, 01:25 PM   #26
DrDan
Driver School Candidate

Anita, I am not worried about UV damage.
I am more concerned about wearing shorts and burning my butt on a hot leather seat.

And yes, Texas heat inside a car is brutal.

Dr Dan
Old 05-14-14, 01:53 PM   #27
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Quote:
Anita, I am not worried about UV damage.
I am more concerned about wearing shorts and burning my butt on a hot leather seat.

And yes, Texas heat inside a car is brutal.

Dr Dan
How about preventing damage to your skin and eyes from the harmful UV rays? And the UV tint is supposed to lower the inside temp some which should help cool the seats. It's worth investigating. I know I would if I lived where you do.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 01:53 PM

Tags
400, california, car, cover, dash, dashboard, forums, hybrid, lexus, mat, people, put, rugs, rx, screen, windshield