RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h question on cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 06:09 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450h question on cameras

On the Lexus website, there's no other options other than the 1 package.

I'm confused now because I am reading and saw on Edmunds other packages.

I'm talking specifically the AWD version.

And I see some specify a side view camera and other sites dont mention it at all. I'm confused with all the packages offered, can someone lend a hand?
Old 02-15-12, 07:36 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, Lexus does strange things. I assume what you are looking at is the build your own page for the RX. remember how they ask you to put in your zip code? What happens is Lexus only builds specific vehicles with specific packages and sends only those vehicles to your area. If you walk into a lexus dealership, they will probably have a lot of those RXs what you see, with the 1 package on the awd model.

However, that doesnt mean that there wont be anything else on the lot. Things change and there could be different configurations there. On top of that you have go the special order route which will take 3 months build time, but you can have anything you want to your particular tastes.

Its best to not go to the build your own webpage, and just go to the pricing/options page
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/features/pricing.html

and choose what you like.

the side view camera only comes on the luxury package, which is actually quite rare on the RX
Old 02-15-12, 07:46 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is a bit challenging. First, packages are different in different countries and not everything is made available to all countries. Neither the Lexus site (the configuration page) or Edmunds do a great job of describing "prerequisites" and "corequisites" between packages and options either -- that can only be done at a dealer I'm afraid. The Lexus configuration site has also evolved somewhat over the last few months ... it asks for your zip code, but used to still allow you to configure a car with any available options in the US. The last time I tried it earlier this year, I was not presented with all the same options that I had at the time I ordered back in November and it seemed to guide me to only what was available, not what was possible, if you get my drift. I also found e.g. that when I ordered I believe the Luxury package for my RX450h, I was forced into buying the LED headlights which is an option outside of any package... As was suggested by another reply, it's best to start with the options list, not the configuration page on the Lexus website.

What I ended up doing was make a list of the individual options that were important to me, without regard to the package I thought they may or may not be a part of. I gave that list to my salesperson and they figured it out ... we went from there.

The side view camera you're asking about is called "Wide-view Side Monitor System" and is only available as part of the "Luxury Package" here in the US, I believe. I was unable to order it separately.

Here's at least what I think is up with US 2012 RX450h packages/options, based on what I ordered in November and have being manufactured for me (at last) next week.
  • You choose FWD or AWD (that selection will default in some things like roof rails or not)
  • You choose exterior color
  • -- Based on that exterior color, you'll have options of interior color (see configuratoror brochure for combos)
  • Navigation with backup camera is an option by itself (but I believe ties to some pre/co-requisites with other things -- in other words, if you don't get Nav, I don't think some of the other options may then be available)
  • Premium Package contains Leather seats, memory system, moonroof, USB for iPod, Rear seat storage compartment, and power rear door -- I was told all of US cars tend to come defaulted with this package. My dealer has never seen an RX come without it.
  • Comfort Package -- Heated/Cooled seats, Rain-sensing wipers
  • Luxury Package - Wood steering wheel & shifter ****, Front seat power extension, LED door sills, Wide-view side monitor system, Folding side mirrors, 19" wheels
  • Individually selectable:
    • Mark Levinson sound
    • Towing prep pkg (only on AWD)
    • Intuitive Parking Assist
    • Heads-up display
    • Pre-collision / radar cruise control (I didn't order this, but it's an individual option, I know for sure)
    • Bi-Xenon or LED headlights
    • Towing equipment (hitch/ball) (only on AWD)
    • Wheel locks
    • Cargo net
    • Cargo mat

Hope that helps. My RX450h AWD is fairly loaded with exception of the pre-collision/radar system and rear entertainment. If there is some other option I didn't list, ask and I may remember what package it's a part of. I didn't list what I considered some of the more minor ones up above.

Last edited by BertL; 02-15-12 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos. Sorry!
Old 02-15-12, 08:01 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are also other options that are available such as 120v outlet, radar cruise, Rear seat entertainment, Pre collission system, retractable mirrors, crossbars and the credit card key.

Some of these may be parts of other packages or may be able to be bought separately. Try configuring on the Canadian site to see some of the options you are not told about on the american one. As BertL said, in the US, where you live makes a difference to what you can pick off the floor without ordering.
Old 02-15-12, 11:05 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys.

You ordered in November and it's just getting manufacture now?!!?
Old 02-15-12, 11:07 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, unfortunately. 3 months is normal for special orders -- mine will arrive just about at the 4-month mark.
Old 02-15-12, 11:19 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered min on Sept 28th and it arrived at the dealer on the 25th or November. It was worth the wait as I got it exactly as I wanted although that was an order with everything available. I didnt want option envy at a later date.
Old 02-15-12, 11:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Geography unfortunately dictates how an RX is equipped. The last time I checked there was only one package available for close to $10,000 incorporating common selections. I chose special order to make sure I had the packages and options I wanted, like the LED headlights. IIRC, HID headlights are included with the comfort package. Since I didn't want them, my sales guy deducted the cost of the HIDs from the final cost.

My 450h was ordered in September, manufactured in November, and delivered in January. It took a month just to make the voyage. Waiting was not fun. But when my RX came in, it made it all worth it.
Old 02-15-12, 02:57 PM
marcarl
Driver School Candidate

I have the side camera on 2012 450h. Not much help and it overrides the back-up camera. I rarely use it but once in a while, if backing out of a tight spot with a curb on passenger side, it comes in handy.
Old 11-05-13, 10:09 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F sport

Originally Posted by marcarl
I have the side camera on 2012 450h. Not much help and it overrides the back-up camera. I rarely use it but once in a while, if backing out of a tight spot with a curb on passenger side, it comes in handy.
I wonder ,if u can order a rx fsport with HUD side camera led headlights and order a 450h us of fsport....