RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Zaino Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 05:03 PM
floridaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about removing the Z5 polish

I recently purchased a 2012 Lexus RX350 and the color is satin. I have been doing a lot of research on which products to use on the paint. It seems there are a lot of people that rave about the Zaino products so I went ahead and purchased some of the products. I got ZAIO, Z5, Z6 and Z7. I read the instructions and they say to wash the car first with Dawn dishwashing liquid. This is supposed to strip any wax from the paint. I have never used Dawn for washing my car and don't intend to now. The instructions also say to use a 100% cotton bath towel to remove the Z5 from the paint. I normally use microfiber towels on my car and would never use a bath towel. I called the support department and they stand behind using Dawn to wash the car first, then use ZAIO, Z5-remove with a cotton bath towel and finally Z6. I am sure the products work great but I have a problem with using Dawn and a bath towel. What have other forum members in the way of towels and car wash soap. The support department did say I could probably get away with using micro fiber towels to remove the Z5 because the paint is lighter in color.

Thanks
Old 01-30-12, 05:50 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used Zaino since the late '90s on every one of my cars, and initially did precisely what Sal suggested, but like I suspect most people, have evolved somewhat from the basic approach. To your two key points and/or questions:
  • I have successfully used Dawn for the initial wash of my cars as recommended for years, and plan to do it again the day I take delivery on my new RX450h in the next few weeks, when I apply my first set of Z5/Z2. Dawn is not for everyday use -- I use Z7 for that. If you object to using Dawn as suggested by the developer of the Zaino system, I have heard that something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash in a not-so-diluted amount will also do the stripping trick. Try searching on that product and you'll find references.
  • As to use of microfiber for removal of polish... I've done it for years and will continue to do so. Zaino actually started selling in the last year or so their version of a very high quality and expensive microfiber (the white ones) for polish removal. The trick is to ensure you use high quality microfiber that have NOTHING in the binding that will scratch your finish, and ones with a napp that are more on the "fluffy" side vs. "harder/tighter" ones that work better on say windows. Cheap towels are death. (...and FYI I did initially use higher quality dedicated bath towels that I had cut off the edge bindings of, for years with great results before finally converting to good quality microfiber.) When I first started using microfiber for this purpose, it was a mess... My use of cheap towels and I had still not learned to consistently apply only small amounts of Z2/Z5/(and ZAIO) caused smears and I had to work at removal too hard, causing micro scratches in polish removal. As I've taught friends who are now into Zaino as well, my test for them is if they need more than 2 good microfiber towels to remove a single layer of polish from even a car the size of an RX, they are still applying too much product, and if they are not in super hot weather and work up a sweat removing a single layer of product, they again probably have applied too much product and may not end up with optimum results. This isn't paste wax and should be a fairly easy-on and easy-off process if you prep'd correctly in the first place.

I'd suggest you wash with Dawn or something similar as I mention above. Correct the paint if needed. Apply one layer of ZAIO, let it haze and remove. Spritz and buff away a small amount of Z6. Then, apply Z5 layers in a similar manner, ending with Z6 each time. It does not sound like you went the route of having ZFX, so be sure to wait a day between applying each layer. As Sal suggests, and I fully agree with from personal experience, Z2 is the best choice to end any set of layering with. It's more reflective, but since you don't have any, ending with Z5 won't be bad, just perhaps not as good. You may actually be very happy with ZAIO to begin with -- my Mom is, when I do her daily driver 1997 red RAV4 every few months that gets put through a car wash in-between times (my rides are only hand washed by me :-))

The other thing for future consideration is that my experience is Z2 tends to be the better choice for lighter color paint, such as my very light gray (bamboo pearl) RX I presently have. Z5 was great on my dark blue rides, and a couple layers of it can help hide those nasty micro scratches on any color, but generally Z2 is what I apply to my white/silver/light gray cars. If helpful, here is a pointer to a personal web page I maintain for friends on how I do my version of the Zaino process. There is another page from there with products I use.

Good luck. Have fun. Welcome to the forum and Zaino world!

Last edited by BertL; 01-31-12 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Grammar, grammar, grammar and formatting
Old 01-30-12, 06:13 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too use Zaino and their products are great. I use cotton towels on my car and prefer them to the microfiber, never been a fan of microfiber. Never had a problem using 100% cotton towels. I have used several of Zaino's products and I have to say the Z2 is the best. I have used the other products as base coats but always finish with the Z2. There is a difference in the shine. As far as Dawn goes I would not hesitate to use it, it is a good cleaner, and won't harm your paint. Before I knew any better I used to use Dawn to wash my car. No wonder the wax didn't last very long. You have to do what you are comfortable with but you can't go wrong with Zaino.
Old 01-30-12, 06:43 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use MF towels and start out with a coat of Z5 with ZFX to put down the base layer. It works well (the smell is nice as well) and then I put on two coats of Z2 with ZFX. I use the ZFX as it is winter here and it will take forever to dry otherwise.

Once it is done I use the Z6 gloss enhancer with a MF towel and give it a little buff. It gleams when I am done. As you can see from the picture of my GF's Edge the shine is amazing. I start off using some Optimum No Rinse to give the car a quick wash. Again its wintertime and -10C outside. I dry with MF and then use the Zaino.

I can see using cotton towels and dont think it matters as long as they are super clean and you have gotten all the dirt off with your wash. Use a sheepskin mitt and a two bucket system with grit guards.

I use the drying time of the Zaino coats to do a wipe down of the interior and to do the windows with Stoners.

I can do all this in about an hour and a half if the car is relatively clean. Once it warms up here I will go out on the drive way and give it a good wash in Dawn and start the process over. I would like to get about 10 coats of Z2 on by the time winter rolls around again. I have not done mine for over a month and the water beads like crazy still even though i go through the spray wand wash about once or twice a week depending on how messy it is outside.

Once you wash with Dawn, you can use any quality car wash after that such as the Zaino Z7 or Maguires Gold Wash or Optimum wash. It will take it down to the Zaino but not remove it. Then you can keep adding up the layers of glossy goodness.
Old 01-30-12, 06:52 PM
floridaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I have used Zaino now since the late '90s on every one of my cars, and initially did precisely what Sal suggested, but like I suspect most people, have evolved somewhat from the basic approach. To your two key points and/or questions. I have successfully used Dawn for the initial wash of my cars as recommended for years, and plan to do it again the day I take delivery on my new RX450h in the next few weeks, when I apply my first set of Z5/Z2. Dawn is not for everyday use -- I use Z7 for that. If you object to using Dawn as suggested by the developer of the Zaino system, I have heard that something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash in a not-so-diluted amount will also do the stripping trick. Try searching on that product and you'll find references. As to use of microfiber for removal of polish... I've done it for years and will continue to do so. Zaino actuallynstarted selling in the last year or so their version of a very high quality microfiber (the white ones) for polish removal. The trick is to ensure you use high quality microfiber that has NOTHING in the binding that will scratch your finish, and ones with a napp that is more on the "fluffy" side vs. "harder/tighter" ones that work better on say windows. Cheap towels are death. (...and FYI I did initially use higher quality dedicated bath towels that I had cut off the edge bindings of, for years before finally converting to good quality microfiber. My first use of cheaper microfiber caused more problems than it was worth.) When I first started using microfiber for this purpose, it was a mess... My use of cheap towels and I had still not learned to apply only small amounts of Z2/Z5/(and ZAIO) caused smears and had to work at removal too hard, causing micro scratches in polish removal. As I've taught friends who are now into Zaino as well, my test for them is if they need more than 2 good microfiber towels to remove a single layer of polish from even a car the size of an RX, they are still applying too much product, and if they are not in super hot weather and work up a sweat removing a single layer of product, they again probably have too much product and may not end up with optimum results.

I'd suggest you wash with Dawn or something similar as I suggest above. Correct the paint if needed. Apply one layer of ZAIO, let it haze and remove. Spritz and buff away a small amount of Z6. Then, apply Z5 layers in a similar manner, ending with Z6 each time. It does not sound like you went the route of having ZFX, so be sure to wait a day between applying each layer. As Sal suggests, and I fully agree with from personal experience, Z2 is the best choice to end any set of layering with. It's more reflective, but since you don't have any, ending with Z5 won't be bad, just perhaps not as good. You may actually be very happy with ZAIO to begin with -- my Mom is when I do her daily driver red RAV4 every few months that gets put through a car wash in-between times (my rides are only hand washed by me :-))

The other thing for future consideration is that my experience is Z2 tends to be the better choice for lighter color paint, such as my very light gray (bamboo pearl) RX I presently have. Z5 was great on my dark blue rides, and a couple layers of it can help hide those nasty micro scratches on any color, but generally Z2 is what I apply to my white/silver/light gray cars. If helpful, here is a pointer to a personal web page I maintain for friends on how I do my version of the Zaino process. There is another page from there with products I use.

Good luck. Have fun. Welcome to the forum and Zaino world!
Thanks for the response and advice. Looks like I will be using Dawn to wash the car prior to applying the Zaino products. It sounds like I should have gotten the Z2 and not the Z5 based on what you and the other member recommended. When I called Zaino I purchased the exact products they recommended. When I spoke with support (assuming that was Sal) we never discussed the color of my RX. He recommended the products for a daily driver. My RX was recently professionally detailed and it looks great now. There aren't any swirl marks anywhere on the paint and now I am thinking the Z5 was the wrong product to get. Like you I always wash my car by hand and would never consider taking it through a car wash. I am extremely picky about how my car looks. I think I will go ahead and get the Z2. With that being said will the ZAIO suffice prior to applying the Z2 or do I need ZFX as well? Would you suggest applying the Z5 and then applying the Z2 or just the Z2 after the ZAIO? I also use a Meguiars product called Quik detailer. Can that still be used or is it not a good idea to combine with Zaino products?

Thanks
Old 01-30-12, 07:09 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

It doesnt really matter anymore what you start with. I read a lot and the consesus is to use Z5 as the base layer and then use it again or the Z2 after. I dont use the ZAIO so I can not comment on that. My RX is black and my regimen works awsome. Z2 is better as a finish product than Z5 as it seems to hide microscratches better.

The system does work best if Zaino goes down right after the wash. All the other layers will bond to the layer before. If you wax your car, the next layer does not bond nearly as well to the base coat.

If you have ZAIO then use that and then use either Z2 or Z5. I use Z5 with the ZFX instead of the ZAOI. ZAOI just eliminates the need for the ZFX which is the flash curing agent that speeds up the drying/curing time.

Last edited by InRBigness; 01-30-12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 07:48 PM
BertL

I think it comes down to how much you want to spend.... The ZAIO will work as a first coat so you can then apply Z2 or Z5, and can work as a standalone product. Unlike Z2/5, ZAIO does a bit of cleaning, hence why they call it an "all in one" -- it's fine for my mom's daily driver that gets car washed (oh my), and one of my friends elected that route because he was going "cheap" with this new Zaino thing as he called it, but within a week of doing his first application, decided he wanted to do the layering approach with Z2/5 and ordered both with ZFX. ...so he gave the ZAIO to his inlaws or someone, I believe.

For the first layer after using Dawn, you have to either use ZAIO or put ZFX into Z2/5 so the polymer bonding will take place. The side benefit is every layer ZFX is part of will haze much faster (10 mins in the summer), and you can then apply up to 3 layers in 24 hrs vs. waiting a whole day between layers otherwise. I've read that use of ZFX actually makes it more reflective and more durable, but I couldn't say I can tell that difference myself.

There are lots of options, and it's part of what I think makes a lot of people believe Zaino is just too complicated or hard to use -- it really isn't. My suggestion is if you are as fastidious as some of us -- and it sounds like you well may be -- order a bottle of Z2 and one box of ZFX. Give the ZAIO to a friend and get them hooked. Since your ride was just detailed and I'd assume the paint is in perfect condition, then, wash with Dawn, put on Z2 with ZFX, spritz with Z6 and remove, then do up to two more layers of both after that... Wash with Z7 as needed from there and spritz/remove Z6 as your quick detailer -- that is what Z6 is. I don't know why you'll need your Mequire QD once you are into Zaino. The Z6 is actually part of the system and ties back to your Z2/5/ZAIO between new layer application, reinforcing what you've already applied. Z8 will do same thing as Z6, but costs more and honestly does look even better, but I use the cheaper Z6 between layers and only use the Z8 when I'm getting my ride ready for a special night on the town. What I then do is as time goes on, I add a layer or two of Z5+ZFX, ending with Z2 each time and of course the spritz of Z6 in-between. ...sorta depends on what I think the paint needs. I end up only having to get my porter cable out that way every 12-24 months, at which time I do the Dawn thing, clay, fix the swirls and/or problem areas with true polish and pads, wash with Z7, then go at it with the Z2+ZFX regime.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-12, 09:21 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ZAIO also has cleaners in it and is good for older cars or a base coat which I have done before. You can put Z2 on right after. Good Luck.
Old 01-31-12, 05:00 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

I can't bring myself to pay for Zaino, Adams, Chemical Guys, or any of those boutique detailing products when I get great results from over the counter stuff.
Old 01-31-12, 06:48 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panyo64
I can't bring myself to pay for Zaino, Adams, Chemical Guys, or any of those boutique detailing products when I get great results from over the counter stuff.
There is nothing wrong with that. People are happy taking their cars to the automatic carwashes once a month as well. For me, I dont really think Zaino is that expensive. I bought a basic kit for about $100 and I have done my car twice and one other one once. I have used 2 of my 16 ounces of Z2.

For me it is not about the cost of the product, its about the value of my time. It really does work so easily. No buffing really, no polishing just wipe on, let dry and wipe off with microfiber towel. No white marks anywhere if you touch the trim etc.

I figure I can do anther 30 cars easily and the shine and water beading last for months it seems. If you are a bit OCD like some of us that is like 4 times a year for the full monty. In between its just wash and gloss.
Old 01-31-12, 07:28 AM
BertL

I agree with InRBigness. I attempt to seek some sort of balance with my time, cost and result. For me, this detailing hobby is more like art. Not everything suits everyone's taste, budget or desire, and we can each have our own opinions. I love the fact there are so many products and techniques, with more coming along all the time, that I can keep trying new things to reach my own vision of perfection along the way. Howz that for a bit of philosophy so early in the morning?
Old 01-31-12, 12:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

whats the shelf life on zaino products? I still have some from 8 yrs ago...lol.
Old 01-31-12, 12:29 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by PHML
whats the shelf life on zaino products? I still have some from 8 yrs ago...lol.
According to the FAQ on the Zaino site, it varies by product and temp the products are stored at:

Q: What is the usable shelf life of Zaino products?

A: A 70° room temperature is best for the longevity of Zaino products. Due to the optical additives used, extreme heat or cold can result in a decrease in gloss-enhancing properties.

When stored at average room temperature between 65° and 75° degrees, shelf life is as follows:

* Z-PC 3+ years
* Z-AIO 3+ years
* Z-CS 5+ years
* Z-1 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
* Z-2 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
* Z-3 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
* Z-5 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
* Z-6 5+ years
* Z-7 5+ years
* Z-8 5+ years
* Z-9 5+ years
* Z-10 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
* Z-12 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
* Z-14 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
* Z-16 3 to 5 years
* Z-18 5 years +
* ZFX For optimum results, keep tightly capped, avoiding moisture. Use before 24 months.
Old 01-31-12, 08:05 PM
floridaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I think it comes down to how much you want to spend.... The ZAIO will work as a first coat so you can then apply Z2 or Z5, and can work as a standalone product. Unlike Z2/5, ZAIO does a bit of cleaning, hence why they call it an "all in one" -- it's fine for my mom's daily driver that gets car washed (oh my), and one of my friends elected that route because he was going "cheap" with this new Zaino thing as he called it, but within a week of doing his first application, decided he wanted to do the layering approach with Z2/5 and ordered both with ZFX. ...so he gave the ZAIO to his inlaws or someone, I believe.

For the first layer after using Dawn, you have to either use ZAIO or put ZFX into Z2/5 so the polymer bonding will take place. The side benefit is every layer ZFX is part of will haze much faster (10 mins in the summer), and you can then apply up to 3 layers in 24 hrs vs. waiting a whole day between layers otherwise. I've read that use of ZFX actually makes it more reflective and more durable, but I couldn't say I can tell that difference myself.

There are lots of options, and it's part of what I think makes a lot of people believe Zaino is just too complicated or hard to use -- it really isn't. My suggestion is if you are as fastidious as some of us -- and it sounds like you well may be -- order a bottle of Z2 and one box of ZFX. Give the ZAIO to a friend and get them hooked. Since your ride was just detailed and I'd assume the paint is in perfect condition, then, wash with Dawn, put on Z2 with ZFX, spritz with Z6 and remove, then do up to two more layers of both after that... Wash with Z7 as needed from there and spritz/remove Z6 as your quick detailer -- that is what Z6 is. I don't know why you'll need your Mequire QD once you are into Zaino. The Z6 is actually part of the system and ties back to your Z2/5/ZAIO between new layer application, reinforcing what you've already applied. Z8 will do same thing as Z6, but costs more and honestly does look even better, but I use the cheaper Z6 between layers and only use the Z8 when I'm getting my ride ready for a special night on the town. What I then do is as time goes on, I add a layer or two of Z5+ZFX, ending with Z2 each time and of course the spritz of Z6 in-between. ...sorta depends on what I think the paint needs. I end up only having to get my porter cable out that way every 12-24 months, at which time I do the Dawn thing, clay, fix the swirls and/or problem areas with true polish and pads, wash with Z7, then go at it with the Z2+ZFX regime.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tips! I ended up ordering the Z2 and ZFX today. I also ordered an extra bottle of both the Z6 and Z7. When the car was recently detailed it was clayed due to industrial fallout on the paint, a cleaner was used and then it was waxed. The paint looks great. I can't wait to see how it looks when I apply the Zaino products I plan on following your recommendation by using Dawn to wash the car then the Z2/ZFX and the Z6 in between layers. I think I will start out with two layers. Thanks to you and everyone for all the great advice.
Old 02-01-12, 09:07 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

post pictures when you are done with your Zaino.

Quick Reply: Zaino Waxes