RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

XM NavWeather cities

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 07:10 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM NavWeather cities

I seemed to have a very brief XM NavWeather subscription upon purchasing my RX 3 months ago. From what I saw when I had it, it looked really interesting-- so I'm thinking of adding it onto my regular xm subscription. I don't exactly live in a large metropolitan area though, so I obviously don't want to subscribe if my area isn't covered by the service. BUT, for the life of me, I haven't been able to find a list of the "100+ cities" covered by the service-- not even on the siriusxm website. I just spoke to a customer service rep who said he needed to escalate my question to tech support who would send me an answer via email.

Is this question really THAT hard???

Has anyone else seen the list of cities that the XM NavWeather covers?????

I live in NY state so if anyone at least knows what cities in NY are covered, that would be great!

Last edited by Mossy; 06-03-11 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-03-11, 07:54 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy
I seemed to have a very brief XM NavWeather subscription upon purchasing my RX 3 months ago. From what I saw when I had it, it looked really interesting-- so I'm thinking of adding it onto my regular xm subscription. I don't exactly live in a large metropolitan area though, so I obviously don't want to subscribe if my area isn't covered by the service. BUT, for the life of me, I haven't been able to find a list of the "100+ cities" covered by the service-- not even on the siriusxm website. I just spoke to a customer service rep who said he needed to escalate my question to tech support who would send me an answer via email.

Is this question really THAT hard???

Has anyone else seen the list of cities that the XM NavWeather covers?????

I live in NY state so if anyone at least knows what cities in NY are covered, that would be great!
From the magic of Google, you have http://www.siriusxm.com/siriustraffic/faq#cov2
Scroll down to find the nearest covered metropolitan area near you and click on it for a map of coverage.
Old 06-03-11, 09:52 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
From the magic of Google, you have http://www.siriusxm.com/siriustraffic/faq#cov2
Scroll down to find the nearest covered metropolitan area near you and click on it for a map of coverage.
Thanks! So I guess I missed that because I was specifically searching for coverage for XM NAVWEATHER, not coverage for TRAFFIC.

I take it I should assume the coverage is the same for both services???
Old 06-03-11, 11:23 PM
Old Jedi
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think its worth any $ at all. When driving in one of the few areas that has service, I have come upon road construction and lane closures that were not indicated on the Nav.
Old 06-04-11, 04:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Traffic is worth the $12/quarter, at least for me living close to NYC. It comes in handy when I'm driving a distance with a destination entered. IMO weather is a waste. I've received warnings two days after the fact Details are sparse too.
Old 06-04-11, 05:54 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was disappointed with the traffic. I did look into getting it but at $120 a year it wasn't worth it. I found a free app(Inrix Traffic) for the iphone and it is more precise and updated. I used it on a major jam. Obviously I don't use it when I'm driving but when you're stuck for 45 minutes you have plenty of opportunity to check it. Often before a long trip I'd check my route before starting the car.
Old 11-06-13, 10:13 AM
dansracing
Driver School Candidate

Default Weather Radar in the GX460

Just a question since I just got rid of my Ford F150 Platinum for my new Lexus GX460. I am wondering what the XM Weather radar is supposed to look like.
In my ford it showed an actual radar image which was clear. In the Lexus the image is less than stellar. All I get is large pixalated spots on the map of my area. However, if I google Lexus Weather Navigation I see images of Lexus vehicles with the same nice looking radar like I had in my truck.

Are there any settings that can be had to improve this feature?
Old 11-06-13, 11:11 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dansracing
Just a question since I just got rid of my Ford F150 Platinum for my new Lexus GX460. I am wondering what the XM Weather radar is supposed to look like.
In my ford it showed an actual radar image which was clear. In the Lexus the image is less than stellar. All I get is large pixalated spots on the map of my area. However, if I google Lexus Weather Navigation I see images of Lexus vehicles with the same nice looking radar like I had in my truck.

Are there any settings that can be had to improve this feature?
Welcome to CL!

No, no settings -- at least in the 3rd Gen RX (you may want to check the GX forum if something is different there for your vehicle, but I doubt it.) The Lexus weather implementation is pretty awful and something I don't use because of it. Since I've been a Lexus guy for many years, I always thought it was perhaps SiriusXM's issue. FWIW though, my 2014 MBZ has a superior weather implementation that is more granular and easier to use with SiriusXM -- but still, to your point, I don't subscribe to it either. My Smartphone is much better at the task, and hopefully with Siri one day, I'll just verbally ask for the weather report and get it back while I listen on the road.