RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

XM radio subscription

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 03:34 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XM radio subscription

Has anyone recently signed up for a one year or lifetime subscription to XM satellite radio ? I'm just wondering what the best price that can be negotiated currently. I do know that depending on what number you call, or the person you talk to, there is a good chance you can get a good deal.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-11, 04:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine just ended. They are so annoying, they keep calling me at night to see if I want to renew.

anyways, ive been doing some research, and it looks like the best deal you can get now is a $77 for a full year (this does not included traffic/weather/sports/stocks, which require an additional fee. Apparently, if you leave your credit card with them on file (so they can charge you instantly after 1 year) you get a $20 discount on top of the $77.

I only want traffic, but I dont think there are any good deals for that.
Old 02-27-11, 05:26 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really only wanted the traffic but it wasn't worth the $12 per month. Actually their traffic isn't that accurate. I have another traffic app on my iPhone that is more useful. Ironically, they never called me once about renewing.
Old 02-27-11, 05:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Actually it's $12 per quarter for traffic. I went with lifetime on XM, paid somewhere around $460. Payments can be spread out over a few months. I didn't want to play the renewal game every few months. First person I talked to at XM couldn't be bothered, maybe because my free subscription had not expired. I called back again at the regular XM number and that person was more helpful in explaining all rates including current specials. Don't use the number Lexus provides in the renewal notice.
Old 02-27-11, 06:49 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before my trial expired I had contemplated subscribing but I only really wanted it for the XMTraffic. I have Navigon on my iPhone with the traffic update so no real loss there. Between Pandora on my iPhone and my iPod Classic connected via USB, there was really no reason to renew for music. It would be nice to have but I haven't missed it. If they offer me a great deal I might consider it but no one from XM has tried to contact me since the trial expired.
Old 02-28-11, 05:24 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my complimentary subscription ended in March 2010 I renewed at full cost (I know, my mistake). Got a mailer a couple weeks ago notifying me of auto-renew, where they would charge my credit card. I called them to cancel, and they offered me a $77 annual sub. I declined, so my sub will end shortly. I expect them to contact me again, and I'll consider if they again offer the reduced subscription with no connection fee.

I just don't listen to XM often enough to justify a full-price subscription. Now that they fixed the iPod scroll/autoplay problem, that's my main source for music.
Old 02-28-11, 05:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went for $77 + tax and royalty fee making it $92 each of my vehicles.
we like the music but that's my $$$ limit on the service.
Old 02-28-11, 07:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Like Anita, I purchased lifetime. If they are still in business, it's transferrable to a new car. Didn't bother with traffic, weather, sports or stocks.
Old 02-28-11, 02:46 PM
MC5Wes

Default XM Sirius

I had XM radio in my old RX300. Then I got the Best of Sirius on my RX350. Had it for about two years. Then I cancelled.

The reason I cancelled is it is all talk all the time. Some channels are ok. My girlfriend likes Watercolors. The play 5 songs then they say softly " This is Water Colors " Then they play 5 more songs. Great, thats the way it should be. Commercial free radio.

But on the majority of the stations. They play one song. Then talk for 10 minutes about the band. And when they are going to tour agian. Then the DJ will talk about the drugs he did at their show back in 98.

Who cares. Play the music. Get rid of the DJs. Its all about the content.
Old 02-28-11, 03:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
I had XM radio in my old RX300. Then I got the Best of Sirius on my RX350. Had it for about two years. Then I cancelled.

The reason I cancelled is it is all talk all the time. Some channels are ok. My girlfriend likes Watercolors. The play 5 songs then they say softly " This is Water Colors " Then they play 5 more songs. Great, that's the way it should be. Commercial free radio.

But on the majority of the stations. They play one song. Then talk for 10 minutes about the band. And when they are going to tour again. Then the DJ will talk about the drugs he did at their show back in 98.

Who cares. Play the music. Get rid of the DJs. Its all about the content.
I'd like to see satellite radio like the music stations on my cable system.One song after another.
No need for Cousin Brucie or the early MTV DJ people.Why pay these DJs?
The wife and I like the 60's,'70's,80's,90's,the Bridge and other same type stations.Not too much talk but there shouldn't be any at all.
Old 03-01-11, 07:29 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from Sirius to XM back in the day after Sirius hired all of the old MTV VJ's. Those people ruined the 80's channel by talking for an extended period of time. I had enough when they started talking over the beginning and end of the songs.

Well, wasn't I let down when Sirius and XM merged and they phased out the XM version of the 80's channel. They should get rid of those DJ's and play the "commercial free" music which is why most people get satellite radio.

Oh well, I live in an area with 2 english radio stations so I have no choice but to get satellite radio.
Old 03-01-11, 02:32 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4482
Has anyone recently signed up for a one year or lifetime subscription to XM satellite radio ? I'm just wondering what the best price that can be negotiated currently. I do know that depending on what number you call, or the person you talk to, there is a good chance you can get a good deal.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks everyone for your cost input to my question. For your information the lifetime cost XM is now asking is $699.00 ! I passed on it for now. My wife just purchased a new Toyota so the information was for her car. I was able to delay any purchase as I somehow got another 3 months of trial. My $77.00 year for my RX is up in July. I thought I could get a deal for two "lifetimes", but XM would not budge.