RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h - purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 03:09 PM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX450h - purchase help

Hi all!

The lease on our 2008 ML350 is about to expire and we want to buy a car. We'd like a 5-seat SUV for our 3y/o child and dog. I was hoping to get your opinions on our choices:

1. Our 2008 ML350: We've really enjoyed the car, and it is a good fit for what we want. The price is a few grand below market value, but obviously it has 30k miles and 3 1/2 years behind it.

2. 2010 ML350 BlueTEC: The diesel seems like a smart choice, and I enjoy the extra low-end torque. Also, we are USAA members, so we can get an AWESOME deal - i.e. well below invoice. But, this is really pushing the bounds of our family finances. (FYI, we've looked at all sorts of cheaper alternatives, from the Chevy Equinox to the Audi Q5 and lots in between, but nothing seemed to fit. The MDX is great, but we're paying for a 3rd row we don't need. The Q5 is awesome, but too snug for us.)

3. Lexus 450h - We were blown away by the interior refinement and really enjoyed the ride. It's a good fit for us, but maybe a touch too elegant. (Did I mention our 3y/o child and dog?) I can see why they are everywhere on the road. Again, the hybrid seems like a great choice and, again, this would push our family finances. A good deal from USAA (near invoice), but not like the ML deal.

So, any help appreciated. We hope to keep the vehicle for a long time, so I'm sorta attracted to the ML 350 BlueTEC, which I hope will last a while.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-10, 03:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi and welcome.

IMO, Im not sure I would want another ML with the same body styling and interior as my outgoing car. I would be bored and would want something new. That said, the ML is still a very attractive car inside and out, and feels very premium. I think the new ML is coming out later this year or at the latest early next year...so think it through before purchasing a vehicle that will be "old" very soon.

The lexus is perfect for what you want. Just big enough for a small family and some light cargo for trips, but not too big. Value for money, the RX will take the cake over a mercedes anyday. The RX also has more power and better fuel economy.

Goodluck on your decision.
Old 05-25-10, 03:34 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will preface this post by saying that I do NOT own a RX450h. I did however get very close to owning one. I personally needed more towing capacity and space that I found in the MDX.

I do not know why you think the ML will age better than the RX? My RX is 5 years old and is as good if not better than new. There is not ONE single broken part in the car. The car has driven to the east coast and back. I've also towed my 3300 lb tent trailer to Montana. Once there, the RX gladly traversed over 60 miles of dirt/washboard road. I also took it to some more challenging trails down in the Mojave Desert--you should've seen the Jeep owner's faces!!! My only rattle is in the tonneau cover. I have never had to do a repair apart from maintenance and one loose connection in the CD player caused by my service department when they were fixing a rattle. The car is still in perfect condition. I think that this car will last for a very, very long time.

The benz will probably last but at the expense of expensive repairs. Diesels do have good longevity but I doubt you would get to the 300,000+ mile point where it could be an advantage over the RX.

I also think that you will be surprised with the torquiness of the RXh when you drive it a bit more.

Again, my RX has been abused: teenagers, roadtrips, off-roading, moving, camping, all of it!

Our RX has surprised us with the way it was built and I'm sure the 3rd Gen will be the same. Get the RX!!!! (Hopefully this is what you wanted?)
Old 05-25-10, 05:09 PM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies!

RXSF - Good point on the boring factor. The ML could definitely use a refresh. But we kinda like the spartan styling. I'll also look to see if I can get info on the 2011. Tnx.

lucas - My only point on the longevity is that, as you note, diesels tend to stand the test of time fairly well. Maybe the hybrid engine will too, but that is less certain. Also, I just think the ML is like a bolted, steel German tank. Yes, there will probably be some expensive trips to the service bin, but it is built to last, perhaps more so than the Lexus. Just a vibe.

As to torquiness, I kinda got the opposite impression in the RXh, which isn't the worst thing. That engine revs quick, and it takes a second for the gas to kick in and accelerate. So I don't think it wins prizes off the line. BUT, the point is to ease into acceleration and embrace the "new driving style of green". For a guy who likes to weave a bit in traffic, it's actually quite relaxing to watch the fuel savings that comes with calmer driving. That said, it performed better than expected at highway speeds, and even in neighborhoods.

Ultimately, I really don't disagree with any of your great points, and I thank you for the input. (Those snobs over on the MB forums haven't even answered my post yet!
Old 05-25-10, 05:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

upon more research, the new ML will be out by next summer, so there is still a year. However, I still think that is coming very soon.

Also while there have been some issues lately regarding lexus and toyota reliability, Lexus vehicles are very well built and should last for quite a while. However, I do understand where you are coming from when you say "german tank." Something about the sound of the doors closing, just seems so much more vault like, even in my lowly C class. Also mercedes does give a lot to attention to detail. For instance, I love the fact that my car will automatically unlock the doors and flash the blinkers if I get into an accident. Pure genius.

Though every time I bring my car in for service, I am reminded why I am a Lexus loyalist. No loaners, not even a cup of coffee
Old 05-26-10, 01:37 PM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, thanks. I saw that too about the 2011 ML. I'm still really torn. The 450h gets great reviews and seems like a solid value, especially for our suburban driving. The ML gets mixed reviews (though better for the diesel) and is an aging design. Still, it is a tighter drive for sure.

Ah, decisions! Maybe I'll just buy a used 4Runner and save for the kid's college fund.
Old 05-26-10, 01:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

frankfalls, if a tighter ride is what you're looking for, try the RX with the sport package. It has less play in the steering wheel and different suspension.

Not that I'm trying to keep you from saving for the kid's college fund
Old 05-26-10, 02:23 PM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Good tip. I'll try the Sport package.

I wonder if community college might work . . .
Old 05-26-10, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by frankfalls
Good tip. I'll try the Sport package.

I wonder if community college might work . . .
You're more likely to find a dealer that has an RX350 with the sport package. The RX450h, well, mine was a special order. My sales guy took me out in an RX350 with the sport package and an RX450h without it. That was enough to give me an idea of what the ride would be like with the hybrid power.

Oh, there's state college too. Nothing wrong with that
Old 05-27-10, 08:06 AM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, good idea. We'll drop by this weekend. We need to make a decision b/c our lease is expiring in a few days. We are getting a little concerned about the run-flats that come on the diesel MB. We've read some so-so reviews of the ride on those.

Anyway, I'll try to test out a 450h or 350 with the sport. Tnx!
Old 05-27-10, 06:37 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default 450h?

After owning 13 Audis over the past 27 years, I leased a 2010 RX 450h in late January, 2010. Although I only have 4,000km (2,400 miles) on it, I am sorry I made the change. If you are happy with your MB, why change? You know the dealer, you know the service folks and you know the vehicle.If you have been happy with all three, you are taking a risk if you change.

The RX 450h is a VERY different vehicle than the RX 350. if it is the 450h that you are considering, don't waste your time driving the 350.

I have had some electrical problems with my 450h and I simply do not trust the vehicle. I have all the options (except those relating to towing) available in Canada. The two things I like most about the vehicle are the Heads Up display of the speed and the way the outside mirrors fold in if the vehicle is locked. I am not certain what packages include these features.Anyway, they are pretty minor items to like in a vehicle that is so expensive.

I went to the hybrid because I am gadget minded. I think you would have to drive 150,000 miles a year to justify the vehicle on the basis of cost. I had a MB-built Smart car - diesel - that I loved, except for the short wheelbase, which meant I felt every bump.They are no longer available with diesel engines in North America. I used to tell people that the Smart car came in the trunk of my Audi as an accessory.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-28-10, 07:23 AM
frankfalls
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input! I am more and more leaning towards simply buying out our lease on the 2008. Do I wish that we had simply purchased the vehicle in the first place? Sure. I also wish I had invested in AOL in 1989. Anyway, finances are a little tight for a new vehicle, but we wanted to get a fresh start, a reliable car and double our gas mileage. The fresh start we can deal without. The reliability - we'll just have to take our chances with the 2008 (and maybe extend the warranty). And the gas mileage, not much we can do.
Old 05-28-10, 10:18 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck frankfalls - enjoy your 2008. I had one and it is a great car!

oscqc, I agree that the 450h is different, but what disturbs me is your mention of electrical problems. Have you posted on them? What are the issues?