RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

9.1 map updated

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 05:47 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9.1 map updated

Finally got my map updated to 9.1. For those with early 10RX still with 8.1, I requested update from Lexus USA after reading the note from “Cruiter.” I had to leave the car overnight as they claimed they had to download the latest firmware for HDD before upgrading the map to 9.1. I had a HS250h for a day so I actually had enough driving to observe 32mpg which is double what I am currently getting on my 10RX [16mpg]. Driving HS for a day and returning to RX, RX felt like LS. Compare to HS, RX is lot of vehicle for the money.

V9.1 and HDD firmware update; initial screen is “bluer” and no more “marker [dots]” on the “line” are only changes observed. It is still missing the ice rink we go to play each summer but I did save the location as “mark” and saved in the address book.

It was a hassle to get “free” update but if you want to pay for the upgrade, $200 parts + $101 was the invoice.
Old 01-15-10, 08:59 AM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 2010 RX late August 2009. I probably have 8.x. You think I am eligible for 'free' upgrade? If so, please assist in convincing Lexus about it. Thanks.
Old 01-15-10, 10:35 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sightdev
Finally got my map updated to 9.1. For those with early 10RX still with 8.1, I requested update from Lexus USA after reading the note from “Cruiter.” I had to leave the car overnight as they claimed they had to download the latest firmware for HDD before upgrading the map to 9.1. I had a HS250h for a day so I actually had enough driving to observe 32mpg which is double what I am currently getting on my 10RX [16mpg]. Driving HS for a day and returning to RX, RX felt like LS. Compare to HS, RX is lot of vehicle for the money.

V9.1 and HDD firmware update; initial screen is “bluer” and no more “marker [dots]” on the “line” are only changes observed. It is still missing the ice rink we go to play each summer but I did save the location as “mark” and saved in the address book.

It was a hassle to get “free” update but if you want to pay for the upgrade, $200 parts + $101 was the invoice.
I'm noticing updates beyond the maps. There seem to be extra options in the preferences (settings) menus. The DSP option seems to do something now (the volume changes immediately when you select it). When I listed to FM radio, there is now a "message" screen and the song titles scroll across the top--I think it's picking up the radio ID tags differently.

I wouldn't pay $300 for this update, but I certainly think that a new vehicle (I bought mine at the end of October) should have the latest software. Lexus agreed and comped me for it.
Old 01-15-10, 10:39 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

There's a thread in the hybrid forum about this update too...
Old 01-15-10, 11:05 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krypttic
There's a thread in the hybrid forum about this update too...
I first read "Cruiter" [hybrid owner] note about 9.1 map update in November and he sort of indirectly motivated me to make an attempt to get courtesy update from Lexus USA. I got the run around from dealer so I complained and was about to give-up when I got a call two weeks later from Lexus USA of approval for courtesy upgrade. Since I can’t compare side-by-side, I can’t figure out what changed except for color and “markers.” The entire configurations were preserved so that was a huge plus. Time to time I use to get “connection” error using Ipod like may have reported here so hope that has been addressed/improved with firmware update [time will tell]. You are right, I don’t think it’s worth $301 for map update but firmware update alone was probably worth the hassle.
Old 01-15-10, 01:43 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
I first read "Cruiter" [hybrid owner] note about 9.1 map update in November and he sort of indirectly motivated me to make an attempt to get courtesy update from Lexus USA. I got the run around from dealer so I complained and was about to give-up when I got a call two weeks later from Lexus USA of approval for courtesy upgrade. Since I can’t compare side-by-side, I can’t figure out what changed except for color and “markers.” The entire configurations were preserved so that was a huge plus. Time to time I use to get “connection” error using Ipod like may have reported here so hope that has been addressed/improved with firmware update [time will tell]. You are right, I don’t think it’s worth $301 for map update but firmware update alone was probably worth the hassle.
I still haven't done mine. I'll do it at 10,000 coming up. You said the 'markers' dissapeared. Are you talking about the 'cookie crumbs'? If so, you should be able to turn them on again in NAV settings. I can't imagine they would have done away with them, they're useful.
Old 01-15-10, 02:54 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade to 9.1 Nav

Also got my RX450h Nav HD upgraded to 9.1 earlier this week - turns out my system also needed its firmware upgraded first (to "version 3350"); then the 9.1 map data loaded ok.

Lexus corporate paid for this update as I took delivery of the 450h in early December.
Old 01-15-10, 06:23 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I still haven't done mine. I'll do it at 10,000 coming up. You said the 'markers' dissapeared. Are you talking about the 'cookie crumbs'? If so, you should be able to turn them on again in NAV settings. I can't imagine they would have done away with them, they're useful.
“cookie crumbs” cute name but I am glad its gone, my previous 05LS didn’t have it and it was sort of nuisance to look at bunch of markers on 10RX before the update. I think you were the first to discuss 9.1 upgrade but many others like “jeffmust” beat you to the upgrade From what “jeffmust” and I have experienced, firmware update must be prerequisite to the map update for earlier models. I think you and i bought the RX about same time in May so ours is one of those early models. I had to leave my RX overnight because of “slow download” but I am glad I got it done knowing I have the latest firmware. I have not lost the iPod connection after the update so hope the firmware update was a permanent fix.

Last edited by sightdev; 01-15-10 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 10:36 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my RX in Sept... came with 9.1.
Old 01-18-10, 12:05 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Bought my RX in Sept... came with 9.1.
Few "early birds" here don't have Enform and outdated map/firmware. I don't know what the switch date was but that seems to be the only differences.

after the udpate, I have not lost iPod connection so this is good.
Old 01-18-10, 12:48 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Bought in late August. Have 8.x No iPod problems, though. I have bought a 120G iPod especially for the RX. Thats basically like getting the car with a built in 120G music server. My entire music collection in the car. Amazing.
Old 01-18-10, 03:03 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
Bought in late August. Have 8.x No iPod problems, though. I have bought a 120G iPod especially for the RX. Thats basically like getting the car with a built in 120G music server. My entire music collection in the car. Amazing.
LOL; with 120G in mp3s' you will never hear the same music as long as you own your vehicle.
Old 01-19-10, 12:12 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Very true, sightdev! After paying so much for the car, a dedicated iPod (from eBay) should be a must. Currently I have it on 'RAND' (shuffle) mode. So, its a radio - playing only my favorite songs.
Old 01-19-10, 02:08 PM
thangd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to use an Ipod, you can just use a USB thumb drive and load all your songs in MP3 or WMA files and it will play from USB thumb drive also.
Old 01-21-10, 09:33 PM
chinpokomo
Driver School Candidate

Default 8.1 vs 9.1

I like the new background a lot more. It matches up really well with the blue back-lighting on the instrument gauge (450h).

Quick Reply: 9.1 map updated