RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX ML Audio doesn't sound as good as my GS ML Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RX ML Audio doesn't sound as good as my GS ML Audio

as some of you are aware, i have both the RX450h and the GS450h. when comparing the ML audio between both vehicles, i find that the ML audio in my GS sounds better and plays louder at a given volume level. music in the GS is cleaner and crisper, and sounds decent for a stock system.

but when playing the same CD on the RX ML audio, i have to crank up the volume to a higher level to have the same decibel level, and the music is not as clean or crisp (sort of like someone singing through a hankerchief - as if there is something covering the singer's mouth).

i don't know if the reason for this discrepancy is due to acoustics of the vehicle, quality differences of the ML audio, or other reasons i have not yet thought of.

anyone have any thoughts on this? considering the RX450h is a 2010 model, you would think it should have better sonic reproduction than a 2008 vehicle...
Old 12-22-09, 01:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed this difference in every SUV and sedan that I have been in/driven/owned so I can only guess that it has something to do with acoustics.

ML In the RX, GX, or LX never sounds as good as it does in an IS, GS, or LS. I might venture to say that since sedans have a much smaller area of open room there is less space for the sound to bounce and reflect off before coming to your ears. Theoretically, that could mean less echo as well which might also impact sound quality.

Also, the rear deck and sub placement in a sedan allows bass to hit harder than in any SUV that doesn't have aftermarket subs. That in itself makes the car seem louder. SUVs also don't have speakers in the same location as the rear deck (obviously, by design)...usually in the cargo area.

Just my thoughts...and hardly scientific either.
Old 12-22-09, 02:13 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have noticed this difference in every SUV and sedan that I have been in/driven/owned so I can only guess that it has something to do with acoustics.

ML In the RX, GX, or LX never sounds as good as it does in an IS, GS, or LS. I might venture to say that since sedans have a much smaller area of open room there is less space for the sound to bounce and reflect off before coming to your ears. Theoretically, that could mean less echo as well which might also impact sound quality.

Also, the rear deck and sub placement in a sedan allows bass to hit harder than in any SUV that doesn't have aftermarket subs. That in itself makes the car seem louder. SUVs also don't have speakers in the same location as the rear deck (obviously, by design)...usually in the cargo area.

Just my thoughts...and hardly scientific either.
thx for the input, now i know at least it's not me hallucinating the difference!
Old 12-22-09, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

OK, I have to ask because I'm getting my 450h with ML in a week (?) and was hoping it would be better than stock. What would you suggest to compensate? Maybe dropping in some subs and a different amp?
Old 12-22-09, 04:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by kitlz
OK, I have to ask because I'm getting my 450h with ML in a week (?) and was hoping it would be better than stock. What would you suggest to compensate? Maybe dropping in some subs and a different amp?
i'd recommend you wait until you get your 450h and audition the ML system before you jump the gun. you might find it's OK (or not). but i would say that the ML audio in the RX does sound better than the regular lexus audio, the latter i would say is just crappy.

but assuming you don't like what you hear, it's not the bass i would change first (although i would change that too). if you like sonic clarity like me, i would be changing the regular speakers first to provide clearer sound.

the problem is that the ML audio system provides the "best" sound you hear based on the stock speakers. sticking in better speakers and amps without changing the ML headunit/sound processor may not give you better sound quality. ie: the ML system works best the way it is. once you start upgrading this and that, the deficiency in the ML audio will be more evident, and you are quickly on a slope of upgrade heaven (or hell depending on how you look at it! ). IF i were to upgrade my ML audio, a new processor would be a must, like the audison bit one (http://www.audison.eu/index_main.php?Section=BITONE). this would be in addition to the new speakers and amps i would replace. similar to JL Cleansweep, but waaay better quality.

take it one step at a time, there's plenty of time for you to decide what you really want out of your ML system.
Old 12-23-09, 07:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The ML in the new RX is actually an improvement over the last gen. For what ever reason, the sound system in the RX has always been lacking. To me, even the ML in the GS is not that good, its certainly not worth the $2000 price tag. For some reason, the ML in the IS sound decent for a low end luxury sedan. Of course the ML in the LS and the LX is the ML reference system which sounds much better.
Old 12-23-09, 09:13 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im also going to theorize that it is because you can have speakers in the cargo area, so you basically have sound coming from 3 sides instead of all around
Old 12-23-09, 10:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im also going to theorize that it is because you can have speakers in the cargo area, so you basically have sound coming from 3 sides instead of all around
But the ML in the GX and the LX sounds very good.
Old 12-23-09, 11:07 AM
LAMark
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be able to add something meaningful to this thread later this week, as I'm picking up my 450h with ML tomorrow (!), and I have an LS with ML to compare to. Maybe I should have gotten PCS for the money instead. Oh well, I'll check out the comparison.
Old 12-23-09, 11:40 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by LAMark
I'll be able to add something meaningful to this thread later this week, as I'm picking up my 450h with ML tomorrow (!), and I have an LS with ML to compare to. Maybe I should have gotten PCS for the money instead. Oh well, I'll check out the comparison.
i'm looking forward to hearing your comments
Old 12-23-09, 05:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
But the ML in the GX and the LX sounds very good.
hmm yes. but the LX has the reference. and maybe it is because they have 3 row, so there are more speakers in the rear
Old 12-23-09, 10:45 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX's ML is in quality of sound GOOD, but it is not as loud on max volume, as it is on LS or IS with ML...
Old 12-24-09, 06:23 AM
thangd
Driver School Candidate

I also have the ML in my RX and I have to agreed that the sound volume is not as loud as the ML in the ES350. Don't know why, but the two systems are the same in spec.
I have talked to the dealer, but they said they cannot adjust the amp to make it louder.
Old 12-24-09, 01:22 PM
Tex Lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stormforge
but when playing the same CD on the RX ML audio, i have to crank up the volume to a higher level to have the same decibel level
Have the same problem Stormforge.. Our old GS also had the ML system and we rarely went past 40. Now in the RX I almost have to turn it to 40 to even hear the music when driving. Thought is was just me!

Odd.

BTW nice glass sensor mod

--Nate
Old 12-24-09, 03:17 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Before I got my 2010 RXh, I've seat in both ML version and the 12 speakers non-ML version, I fell that $2000 wasn't worth the price, so I went with the 12 speakers instead.