RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wind Noise @ 60+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 09:17 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txt
...I drove back to the dealership and complained.
I told the service consultant to check if the cross bars were installed backward ??? (I read this in a Toyota RAV4 forum somewhere ).
The tech removed the cross bars and checked the underside.
Lo and behold, the underside of the crossbars had arrows and the arrows were not pointing in the same direction (ie. toward the front of the car).
The tech re-installed and there was no more noise.
On my crossbars, the arrow pointing to the front is on top of the crossbar.
Old 11-14-09, 10:17 AM
thangd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 10RX is also on top and pointing to the front. The cross bars still made more wind noise. I have taken them off and that had reduced the wind noise.
Old 11-14-09, 08:24 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2009 RX 350, the arrows under the cross bars are actually triangles, pointing to the front.
The 2010 RX 350 definitely has a different cross bars if the arrows are on top of the crossbars.
It's unfortunate that even with proper installation, the 2010 model still has wind noise.
I'll have to remember this noise if I bought the 3rd gen RX 350 in the future.
Old 11-15-09, 07:05 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
There are four small plates on top of mine where the rail mounts would have been so I'm sure they (plates) are available.
plates are available, you need 2x 75595-48020 & 2x 75596-48020

$70 for 4 little pieces of plastic

problem is the covers don't work w/o clips

my parts guy never found the part #'s for clips

i finally gave up & returned the 4 plastic covers

if anyone has removed their rails & know the parts #'s for the clips, please share
Old 05-15-15, 09:14 PM
juliehans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise in rx 350

Originally Posted by RXTexas
RX Owners - Are any of you experiencing excessive wind noise? When I drive above 60 MPH the wind noise is very noticeable. I've owned numerous cars and SUVs in my life and this is the only vehicle were I have to turn up the radio when I exceed 60 MPH.

Very annoying for a Lexus. Has anyone experienced this and have you had it fixed?

Yes, I just bought a used 2012 Rx 350, and have a terrible wind noise when I am on the freeway exactly as you said at over 60 mile per hour. It sounds like the window is lightly open. It drives me crazy. I have taken it back to the dealership 2 times asking them what is wrong and they say nothing, that is a normal sound for an RX 350-SUV. That is crazy, I also have owned different SUV's for 20 years and never had this loud of wind noise in my cars. Has anyone been able to fix this on the Lexus? I have only owned it 45 days, and cant take it and want my money back!
Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-15, 10:01 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by juliehans
Yes, I just bought a used 2012 Rx 350, and have a terrible wind noise when I am on the freeway exactly as you said at over 60 mile per hour. It sounds like the window is lightly open. It drives me crazy. I have taken it back to the dealership 2 times asking them what is wrong and they say nothing, that is a normal sound for an RX 350-SUV. That is crazy, I also have owned different SUV's for 20 years and never had this loud of wind noise in my cars. Has anyone been able to fix this on the Lexus? I have only owned it 45 days, and cant take it and want my money back!
Any suggestions?
A couple ideas to pursue:
*On the ES350 there are shipping holes on the underside of the vehicle and these are supposed to be plugged by the factory upon delivery. However, some dealers either didn't do this or they installed them incorrectly. Check underneath the car and see if there are any holes open in the chassis. See this link for reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post2181987
*Another issue that comes to mind is the drain hoses for the GS series. The hoses ran to the bottom of the car and they would protrude further than they were supposed to, which would cause wind noise from the sun roof area.
*The next issue that comes to mind is that of the LS460. On the early models many people were complaining of wind noise on their vehicles. They narrowed it down to improper fit of the plastic triangle. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

You can also try to diagnose the problem using painter's tape. First, tape up the plastic triangles that I mentioned about and see if the issue goes away or at least gets better. If it doesn't, move on and tape up the entire border of the driver's window and see if the issue goes away. If it does, you may somehow have air getting past the window seal. If it doesn't, tape up the passenger's window and the rear passenger windows and check if the noise is gone or reduced. Repeat this same stop around the border of the windshield and check.

I'm not going to guarantee this will fix the issue, but it does give you somewhere to start. If it has an extended warranty, bug them until they fix it or try for lemon law(not sure if it'll work in this case, though).
Old 05-15-15, 11:08 PM
juliehans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
A couple ideas to pursue:
*On the ES350 there are shipping holes on the underside of the vehicle and these are supposed to be plugged by the factory upon delivery. However, some dealers either didn't do this or they installed them incorrectly. Check underneath the car and see if there are any holes open in the chassis. See this link for reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post2181987
*Another issue that comes to mind is the drain hoses for the GS series. The hoses ran to the bottom of the car and they would protrude further than they were supposed to, which would cause wind noise from the sun roof area.
*The next issue that comes to mind is that of the LS460. On the early models many people were complaining of wind noise on their vehicles. They narrowed it down to improper fit of the plastic triangle. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

You can also try to diagnose the problem using painter's tape. First, tape up the plastic triangles that I mentioned about and see if the issue goes away or at least gets better. If it doesn't, move on and tape up the entire border of the driver's window and see if the issue goes away. If it does, you may somehow have air getting past the window seal. If it doesn't, tape up the passenger's window and the rear passenger windows and check if the noise is gone or reduced. Repeat this same stop around the border of the windshield and check.

I'm not going to guarantee this will fix the issue, but it does give you somewhere to start. If it has an extended warranty, bug them until they fix it or try for lemon law(not sure if it'll work in this case, though).
Thanks so much for the ideas Nick, I will try them and let you know if any of them work, otherwise, going hire a lawyer and go for the lemon law.
Old 05-16-15, 09:29 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by juliehans
Thanks so much for the ideas Nick, I will try them and let you know if any of them work, otherwise, going hire a lawyer and go for the lemon law.
No problem. Based on your posting in this thread, I'm assuming you've checked the crossbars as well. I feel like this issue could be one of the above.
Have you gone and driven any other 2012 RX350s to see if they make the same noise?
Old 05-16-15, 02:53 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the complete set-up available. Bought the kit at Sewell but later changed my mind. Left the rails on the roof. I'll never use them.
8 bolts, 4 steel clips & the vinyl/rubber cover plates.
$60.00 + the shipping.

problem is the covers don't work w/o clips
Old 05-17-15, 07:52 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Former Gen2 RX crossbars were known to create odd "wind noise" when installed backwards -- there was apparently a front side to them from what I read to help with the aerodynamics. I sure seem to also remember something about depending where they were on the top and how far apart, could also impact wind noise. Unsure if it's the same with a Gen3 RX, as my 2013 didn't come with crossbars, so I have never pursued the detail. It may be worth though temporarily removing the cross bars to see if the noise is reduced or goes away to help with problem determination.

One other thing to check is your moonroof. Make sure it is completely closed. It's easy to have it tilted just a bit so that you get wind noise through there but it looks closed with a fast glance. If that gasket is messed up, it could also be a source of the problem ... Open the moonroof and give it all a cleaning, and perhaps a little conditioning of the gaskets as need be, just in case.

Good luck.

Last edited by BertL; 05-17-15 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Clarified crossbars, not rails in one example