RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

XM Radio what a rip

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 10:55 AM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio what a rip

Received a card in the mail today to renew my XM radio (didn't renew after initial trial) for $77 a year. I called to renew at the $77 rate and they told me there was also $12 per month music royalty fee. Screw them!! I listen to the radio and there is no "Royalty Fee". There is no royalty fee for my IPod. ASCAP no wonder your sales are falling.
Old 09-30-09, 11:00 AM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

The fee is $2 per month, not $12. I agree it's enraging on a number of levels, especially since they're using it as a profit source instead of cost recovery which is what the FTC intended when they allowed that provision.

I bet the retention CSRs have the authority to waive it if you press them hard enough, we will see.
Old 09-30-09, 12:07 PM
iewiew
Driver

Default Nope $12 a month

My first month billing would be $89. and $12 per month after.
Old 09-30-09, 04:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Way around it

Originally Posted by iewiew
Received a card in the mail today to renew my XM radio (didn't renew after initial trial) for $77 a year. I called to renew at the $77 rate and they told me there was also $12 per month music royalty fee. Screw them!! I listen to the radio and there is no "Royalty Fee". There is no royalty fee for my IPod. ASCAP no wonder your sales are falling.
I called on the 23rd and renewed for $399 lifetime. No monthly fees at all. They will move it three times total after three years to another car or earlier if the car is wrecked or stolen. The fee did not include NAV weather or traffic which I thought was a rip anyway. The sound quality isn't as good as CD's but there are some stations I got hooked on, like the old radio programs etc. Anyway, I thought it was a good idea.
Old 09-30-09, 04:45 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my 3 month XM trial ran out I also got it for the $77 cost. With tax etc. I paid 85.13 for 1 year. I noticed that they try to get as much from you as they can. Thanks to this forum I got the word on the $77 rate. Recently I added NAV Traffic for 3 months because of some trips coming up. It seems everyone I spoke at XM were in India, or not the U.S. anyway. Their cost for the 3 months changed it seemed with each person I spoke with at XM. It went from 3.99 up to $16 additional per month for the NAV Traffic. And yes, I did get it at the 3.99 rate for the 3 months.

When dealing with XM please share your experience with all of us. XM appears to have a million different phone numbers as well !
Old 09-30-09, 05:00 PM
the lof
Driver School Candidate

I got the $77 deal for the one year, but they only charged me $68. I vertified that I was paid for total of 12 months, from the end of my 3 month trail. They do run a strange operation, but I'm happy with the product. I hope everyone keep posting on this item, that's how I learned about the $77 deal. Good luck out there.
Old 09-30-09, 06:39 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy XM radio and I listen to it a lot. I also got the best of Sirius along with weather and traffic for the heck of it for both cars. We are not talking about a lot of money here folks so what is the big deal? I hope I don't get ripped for this, but if one can afford to buy an RX or any other luxury car, what's the big deal about spending another couple hundred dollars a year for some additional enjoyment? At least that is the way I look at it. Taking long trips, I never get bored since I have Sirius/XM on both cars. I can listen to my favorite music, each and every baseball game I choose (of course the Red Sox come first), every NFL game (Go Patriots!), comedy, news, financial information, etc. etc. I sure hope they do not go bankrupt because I would really miss it. To do my part, I bought a few thousand shares of the stock (at 65 cents a share) in case they start to make it big time.
Old 09-30-09, 09:33 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

I have had sat radio since around 2000--love it--still use ipod a lot but my wife has found the broadway channel indispensible.

I have 2 units in the house and 1 in each car. In the car I usually listen to financial stations during day.

Its a personal decision for all of us so its difficlut to figure out the why or why not for others.
Old 10-01-09, 06:05 AM
iewiew
Driver

Default Xm

PatsSoxfan: It's not the money, it's the Gypsy approach. I also resent ASCAP fleecing us at every chance. I have Sirius in my A6 and home, love e'm. We are not in the 350 enough to say it's of value.
Old 10-01-09, 05:13 PM
iewiew
Driver

Default Update

They(XM) called me today and upped he ante. 5 months for $26. I'm in.
Old 10-01-09, 06:03 PM
jclem
Pole Position

My 3 month trial was almost up and I wasn't going to renew, even though we found we liked it, at the $144. annual. However, then I saw this thread and thought the $77 (plus "royalty" fee of 11.78) sounded more reasonable. I called twice last night and got 2 different guys who both said: "$144. can't do the 1/2 price". So, I called back tonight and got someone who said 'yes' after checking with her supervisor. So, I'm in for a year. We'll see what deals next year brings.
BTW, PatsSoxfan, while I am also a fan of the Pats and Sox, I'm not a fan of spending extra money when I don't have to. Why line the pockets of the XM moguls when that other $77 could buy you a hot dog and beer at Fenway?!!
Old 10-02-09, 03:49 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Default XM renewal

After my trial is up the cost for me for one year for the premium XM radio plus the Nav is $212 for the year. It was stated on the letter I received.
Old 10-02-09, 10:35 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

$12 per month music royalty fee? Wow...

Maybe it's new for the renewal in this month/season? A friend of mine renewed it sometimes around the beginning of Aug. His credit card got charged with $123.71 in Aug. That's all!! Maybe he's lucky!?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4741053-post15.html

Originally Posted by rxets
... ...
Radio - $77 per year (=$6.42 per month) (original price: $12.95 per month or $142.45 for 1 year)
Traffic - $47.88 per year (=$3.99 per month) (original price: $9.95 per month)
Traffic+Weather - $19.95 <--- cannot find the relevant info

So, he ordered Radio+Traffic $77 + $47.88 = $124.88 for one year. XM will charge $12.95 first, then charge $111.93 in the next billing cycle.

If anyone gets the different info by this phone number, please post... thanks. Wish this is real.

XM NavTraffic
http://xmradio.com/navtraffic/pricing.xmc

XM NavWeather
http://xmradio.com/navweather/pricing.xmc
Old 10-03-09, 04:58 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've been disappointed in my free trial of xm

i thought the whole idea of paying for music was so you could hear just music

i listen to country on XM 11, 16 & 17

they have commercials, news stories, & other talk crap

so i end up flipping stations back & forth just like i did on FM radio

just can't see paying for that

especially w/ the USB hookup, i've got 12 gigs of mp3's w/ not a single commercial
Old 10-03-09, 06:30 AM
iewiew
Driver

Default Question on ASCAP

Who pays the royalty fee for AM and FM radio stations? Probably it's the advertising. I think XM is just trying to get more revenue from subscribers and placing the blame on FCC.

Quick Reply: XM Radio what a rip