RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: is engine noise of 2010 RX350
Normal
39.62%
little noisy
24.53%
too much noisy
28.30%
that's the way it suppose to be.
7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

what is your opinion about engine and road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 02:30 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what is your opinion about engine and road noise?

After owning 2010 RX350 for about three weeks now and i think that engine is too noisy for the first 20 minutes or so and up to the speed of 50kmph. i did not drive any Lexus before my purchase. i trusted the brand. Also there is lots of road noise near the rear side doors. no wind noise what so ever from the front. does any body else feels the same or is it just me? otherwise this is cool little car to drive. but, Lexus and noise didn't make sense.
Old 05-07-09, 02:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also thought Lexus should produce the quiet cars, but this RX seems a little noiser than what I have expected. (It all depends on which cars you try to compare with, or what kind of peaceful level you're looking for)

However, if comparing with other SUV (ML350, X5, Q5, Q7, Cayenne, FX35, MDX) I test-drove, I'd say '10RX350 is the quietest among these cars. IMO.
Old 05-07-09, 03:14 PM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxets
I also thought Lexus should produce the quiet cars, but this RX seems a little noiser than what I have expected. (It all depends on which cars you try to compare with, or what kind of peaceful level you're looking for)

However, if comparing with other SUV (ML350, X5, Q5, Q7, Cayenne, FX35, MDX) I test-drove, I'd say '10RX350 is the quietest among these cars. IMO.
you have got a point as to what we are comparing it with. i never owned lexus before. i have owned chevy avalnche 2007 LTZ, benz s-550 4matic 2008, honda accord 2008 v6. when i purchased s-550 i had certain expectations and car was better than what i expected (except that it stayed in for repairs more often than what i liked). avalanche, i loved it and it did make sense to have a fair bit of noise. accord is noisy but it is all road noise which got much better when i replaced the factory tires with yokohama w-drive (only winter tire with special material which is good for summer too). but none of the above had annoying engine noise at low speed (except avalanche). lexus is a luxury brand (i think). which should have some class in terms of engine noise quality. there is a difference between tight powerful crispy engine noise and a noise which is confused with either a leaked muffler or low octane gas being used. otherwise this is a cool vehicle to drive and have nothing else wrong with it. or may be i have bad piece than? i am gonna go to the dealer when 1600kms service is due and drive their test 2010rx350 to compare. LoL, buying first and testing it after.

Last edited by flatrocky; 05-07-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 03:32 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

So, flatrocky, what kind of engine noise do you hear? It's from the engine or somewhere else?

One of my test-drive RX has the high-pitched, leaked-muffler-sound every time I accelerated... I will hate to get the new car with that noise... I almost lost my confidence on this car and couldn't decide if I should buy it until test-driving another 3 "much quieter" RX without that noise...

Btw, did you see this yet?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ust-noise.html
Old 05-08-09, 05:51 AM
flatrocky
Driver School Candidate

Rxet
i am aware of this thread. the noise that i am talking about is same as low quality engine would make. some times it goes away after 20 minutes of driving and some times it doesn't. i am going to have to test drive another rx350 to compare. like i said that i haven't had a chance to drive a second Rx yet. the only comparison that i cam make is when that noise does go away some times. my first tank of gas given by the dealer, was not a proper gas so the engine was also knocking. that sound went away easily after filling it with premium gas.
Old 05-08-09, 08:27 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2010 RX is just over 2 weeks old now, with about 250 miles on it. Before the 2010 I had a 2005 RX. I find the engine noise normal because of the much higher increase in the horsepower to 275. It's a pretty powerful engine !

That is not to say there may be those that have a defective part in their exhaust system. If you think it's not normal, by all means get it checked by the dealer. All in all, I think my 2010 is pretty quite.

It's nowhere near as loud as my new 1959 300 HP Ford I had...
Old 05-09-09, 04:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I voted "little noisy".

When driving my RX with the low gears (above 2500RPM) or climbing uphills, the engine is noisy. I cannot imagine how loud it will be after a few K miles.

But, if I keep RPM low, the engine is quiet (or I should say the soundproof/insulations are good enough to keep noise away).

But, at least the engine note doesn't sound bad. I still remember the 2nd RX I test-drove, it's terrible.
Old 05-09-09, 05:39 PM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

Coming off of a 2008 Acura MDX with a throaty v6, and also owning a 2007 Yukon -- the RX is a pleasantry in terms of road noise.

It's still an suv with a 'big' v6.

I do think it is quieter than the 2006 IS250 we used to have as well.

Personally, I would give up a little more noise for a little more power still' It would still be quieter than our old MDX
Old 05-09-09, 05:52 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, agreed, it's all about the comparison.

If I compare it with Cayenne V8 I almost buy, RX is quiet as the cat's walking. Porsche executives decide to make SUV with full of engine notes as their 2-door roadsters. I love to drive it, but hate to listen to its endless sound when sitting in the back.
Old 05-09-09, 07:10 PM
data2009
Pole Position

I also voted "a little noisy". I am typically not the one to complain about such things, but it does sound like an old engine at first 10-15 minues. Its fine for my tastes after that.

I think there are different types of engine noise. Actually, as rxets post says, there are noises and there are notes. To me, rx has a diesel engine noise when cold, but has a semi-athletic note when accelerating. I have almost 2k on mine.
Old 05-09-09, 08:08 PM
johnpg
Rookie

As others have said it's all about comparison. I drove my wife's Acura TSX to the movies today, I let her borrow the RX, and while I know it's not a fair comparison it was like a jet engine next to the Lexus.

I think we are all a bit spoiled, to be honest. These are fantastic cars. When my wife was leaving I came out into the garage to tell her something and darn near needed to yell for her to hear me (she was in the RX). The thing is quiet.

Cheers,
John
Old 05-11-09, 06:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
Yes, agreed, it's all about the comparison.

If I compare it with Cayenne V8 I almost buy, RX is quiet as the cat's walking. Porsche executives decide to make SUV with full of engine notes as their 2-door roadsters. I love to drive it, but hate to listen to its endless sound when sitting in the back.
There is a difference between Porsche's exhaust note than the RX's engine noise
Old 05-11-09, 06:51 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is a difference between Porsche's exhaust note than the RX's engine noise
Cayenne's engine/exhaust notes have become too noisy to enjoy sometimes, especially when you sit in the back.
Old 05-11-09, 08:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Cayenne is a driver's SUV and the RX is a passenger's SUV, thats the best way I can put it If you dont push the Cayenne hard, its really not that noisy.
Old 05-11-09, 08:49 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

We have no problems with Cayenne. Cayenne V8 is roaring and loud. However, Porsche is Porsche, Lexus is Lexus. I don't want to mis-interpret this thread's topic.

Quick Reply: what is your opinion about engine and road noise?