RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Exhaust Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 03:51 AM
oball2400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust Noise

We just picked up our 2010 RX 350 two days ago. We had a 2001 RX since new and sold it with 165,000 miles. I did not drive the 2010 prior to buying it. When we left the dealer after delivery, the first thing I noticed was the exhaust noise. It sounded like a loose exhaust manifold or something like a hole in the muffler. Our 2001 made little if any noise. Over the years I've driven every model (RX, IS and ES when the 2001 was serviced) and have never noticed any exhaust noise. Any one else notice this?
Old 04-16-09, 04:30 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oball2400
We just picked up our 2010 RX 350 two days ago. We had a 2001 RX since new and sold it with 165,000 miles. I did not drive the 2010 prior to buying it. When we left the dealer after delivery, the first thing I noticed was the exhaust noise. It sounded like a loose exhaust manifold or something like a hole in the muffler. Our 2001 made little if any noise. Over the years I've driven every model (RX, IS and ES when the 2001 was serviced) and have never noticed any exhaust noise. Any one else notice this?
Yes! I have noticed the noise from a dead stop. Our 07 is much quieter from a dead stop. The new RX is not as quiet as I had hoped. It seems all first generation Lexus products were the quietest in their class. Not the case anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Lexbolo (03-05-24)
Old 04-16-09, 10:03 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some reviews said this car has more noise than the previous models.

On the other hand, when test-driving a 900+ miles new RX350, I heard the high-pitch noise from the engine bay when stepping on the gas pedal and accelerating hard.

Will this engine be like that in the future?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-09, 08:16 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone else ever hear this type of noise?

So far, I tested 3 '10RX350, the one with the high mileages is the only 350 having this noise...
Old 04-23-09, 01:11 PM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, thats why my 2010 RX350 is with the service dept still.
I called it excessive engine noise and thats how my service consultant put down on the paper work. I drove a demo 2x before and after the purchase and both RX'es did not exhibit same noise. It started on my car on the 3rd day.

This is now its 4th visit to the service center ...total 7 days of trial-n-error...and counting. Its not a normal sound for a new car, its a pain in the ear!
Old 04-23-09, 03:14 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Whta does the lemon law say?

I'll be pissed if my car gets that. I'm going to try one more test-drive in 4th dealership. If I heard that sound again, it means 2 out of 4 cars I test-drive have this sound, I won't buy RX...
Old 04-23-09, 04:42 PM
SCGRAD
Driver School Candidate

I have not heard any engine / exhaust noise inside the cabin.
Old 04-23-09, 05:03 PM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

rets94, pls let us know howz the 4th test drive came out.
I'm about to talk to my lawyer re: lemon cars.

this gonna be the last visit to lexus service.
Old 04-23-09, 05:33 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vicara

Sorry to hear that.

Will do... probably will head to Club Lexus' sponsor this weekend.
Old 04-25-09, 06:42 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

vicara,

I tried 2 RX today. Both of them are smooth and quiet without that terrible noise. I guess I'm probably ready for any risks to get this car soon.

Please keep us updated about how your RX goes. We'd like to know if Lexus can make any progress on this issue. Thanks.

Take care.
Old 04-26-09, 02:07 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

if it sounds anything like the infiniti FX45 then I don't mind it at all
Old 04-27-09, 10:42 AM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

now that confirms my initial complain. it will be a complete week tomorrow that they are keeping my car. last time i checked, i was informed a rep from the regional office will show up tomorrow to do more testing.

heres my question: do you still want to keep a guinea pig?...errrr car? hows my chance of getting a swap without involving a lawyer?
Old 04-27-09, 11:09 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

now that confirms my initial complain. it will be a complete week tomorrow that they are keeping my car. last time i checked, i was informed a rep from the regional office will show up tomorrow to do more testing.

heres my question: do you still want to keep a guinea pig?...errrr car? hows my chance of getting a swap without involving a lawyer?
Did they say what the problem was, I guess they wouldn't know, which is why they're keeping it for a while.

Please update us on the developments of your RX. It's making me nervous now since mine should be coming within the next couple of weeks. I hope that I don't get a similar lemon car.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-09, 02:59 PM
vicara
Driver School Candidate

dous, i still have faith in Lexus. I guess mine is just a rare fluke.

its this excessive engine noise that manifest on acceleration from 0 to 40 mph; above that, its good. a good scenario is when u hit the gas on a green light. my MDX'04 has even less noise. also the idling sound seems above normal as well. actually it feels/sound almost like an old diesel engine (keyword 'old')...ok, not exaggerating but close to.

this is the vehicle's 4th visit and its on its 6th day...total now of 10 days. initially, they say they cannot find the source of the strange sound and another service consultant tried to make me believe that this is how it sound for the new RX350. the problem is, an exact demo car does not sound like mine.

i'm expecting an update tomorrow.
Old 04-27-09, 05:03 PM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

this is the vehicle's 4th visit and its on its 6th day...total now of 10 days. initially, they say they cannot find the source of the strange sound and another service consultant tried to make me believe that this is how it sound for the new RX350. the problem is, an exact demo car does not sound like mine.

i'm expecting an update tomorrow.
Haha, did the service consultant forget that your RX is not the ONLY RX in existence or something?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Noise