RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 06:15 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, got my windows tinted this weekend.

Here is the pic.

The tint is SunGard HP Smoke 20%

Last edited by VForce; 05-16-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 07:15 AM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

Looks great!

Question - does the front now look darker than the backs?

Update your signature now! (you say 'window tint coming soon')

Cost? Did he pull your door panels? And you did the winglets, righ? (it looks like it)
Old 05-17-09, 08:38 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoCougs
Looks great!

Cost? Did he pull your door panels? And you did the winglets, righ? (it looks like it)
If the moment he took the pic the windshield isn't tinted, the 20% seems darker. I guess 30-35% is more matched the factory tints.
Old 05-17-09, 07:00 PM
ajs
Driver

Also got my window tinting done!!!
  • Film: Llumar ATX nano-ceramic infrared window film
  • Light transmission: AZ legal 35%
  • Coverage: front windows and winglets

Here are the installation features that sold me:
  • All window patterns are computer cut, so all prep work is done away from the vehicle. Therefore there's no need to use the windows as cutting templates.
  • They assured me there was no need to remove any panels on the doors.
  • The nano-ceramic film used really blocks heat transmission and doesn't interfere with radio/satellite/cellular reception. I'm impressed!
Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting-dscn1404-2.jpg  
Old 05-20-09, 03:29 PM
VForce
Driver School Candidate

Looks great!

I think its spot on for darness with the back. Cost was $60, door panels were removed and yes, they did the winglets.
Old 07-01-09, 06:38 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

What's the % when you can't see through the car from the outside?

Would 10% do it or lower?

(for the rear windows)
Old 07-03-09, 05:16 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give you my personal opinion I don't ever think it's wise to tint just the fronts on any SUV that has the back windows already factory tinted. You can NEVER match the same. Just get the back ones tinted over, and the front ones around 35%-20% and you'll be good!
Old 07-19-09, 12:36 PM
98OysterES
Driver

We just purchased our Starfire pearl last week. First thing I did was get the front windows tinted.

Washington law is 35% on the front windows. I went with a Madico Charcool 35% and it matches up very nicely from the outside while staying legal.

The interesting part is the solar-green front glass gives the windows an greenish tint on the inside looking out. The wife loves it with the cashmere interior though!

Came out very nicely... Used a high quality, local shop. Could have used 3M material, but it was significantly thinner and just appeared lower quality than the Madico.

Lifetime warranty on everything.

I have the exact brand as you, except for the %. My Front driver & passenger windows are 25% which match the factory 25% on the rears, and the windshield is a 50% Madico Charcool.

I also have 35% all around on my Acura TL with 50% on the windshield. I have had the Madico Charcool on the TL for 2 years now ... still looks as good as the day the car was tinted ... no cloudiness/fading/etc.

Madico Charcool is a great tint ... I would highly recommend it!
Old 07-19-09, 06:56 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 98OysterES
I have the exact brand as you, except for the %. My Front driver & passenger windows are 25% which match the factory 25% on the rears, and the windshield is a 50% Madico Charcool.

I also have 35% all around on my Acura TL with 50% on the windshield. I have had the Madico Charcool on the TL for 2 years now ... still looks as good as the day the car was tinted ... no cloudiness/fading/etc.

Madico Charcool is a great tint ... I would highly recommend it!
Since you have 50% on the windshield, this makes different... well, I believe 25% ~ 35% on the front should be quite similar.

Btw, NJ is quite serious about the front/windshield tints. Since you've tinted for a long time, do you get any issues when driving? Thanks.
Old 07-22-09, 10:35 AM
DOUS
Pole Position

i just had mine done. It's 20% Formula One Pinnacle. Looks real good. I'll post pics when I get the chance.
Old 07-29-09, 06:04 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
Since you have 50% on the windshield, this makes different... well, I believe 25% ~ 35% on the front should be quite similar.

Btw, NJ is quite serious about the front/windshield tints. Since you've tinted for a long time, do you get any issues when driving? Thanks.
I don't really get my chops busted too often, but I do have Fire Department License Plates (Family Member) & I also have a Police Family Member Gold Card, so It's basically a get-out-of-jail free card for stupid violations like tint!

I have been pulled over a few times, but never a ticket thankfully. But Jersey is strict on the front windows, especially the windshield ... but I will say the windshield makes all the difference ... 50% tint is really nothing much ... but it makes the tint job look much nicer and more even .. and cuts down on glare dramatically!
Old 08-04-09, 03:09 PM
solar5000
Driver School Candidate

So I was wondering what the actual tint percentage was on the 2008 RX 350's? i have another car that i want similar tints.
Old 09-22-09, 08:24 AM
Rookie

i want the tint in the rear windows darker and maybe 35% in the front for a staggered effect. Do they remove the factory tint and retint or do they add additional tint over the windows. I don't want it to be too dark because I want to see out of them at night when driving.
Old 09-23-09, 05:44 AM
b67
Rookie

Originally Posted by 0909
i want the tint in the rear windows darker and maybe 35% in the front for a staggered effect. Do they remove the factory tint and retint or do they add additional tint over the windows. I don't want it to be too dark because I want to see out of them at night when driving.
They can tint right over the back windows, no way to remove factory tint since it is in the the glass. IMHO the backs are pretty dark already.

I tinted the fronts only down to 40% with llumar - makes a huge diffrence in blocking heat vs no tint and adds some privacy
Old 09-23-09, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Got my windows tinted today. Decided to go with 35% 3M Color Stable Film, which is supposed to resist fading and not purple. Didn't want to go too dark since it is already illegal in california to have any tint. Cost more than the Suntek which was $70. Paid $90 for front windows and the winglets.

Looks like a good job but we will have to wait a week and see how it cures.

Seems like the back is not dark enough... maybe go with 5% but might be hard to see at night...
Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting-img_0638.jpg  

Quick Reply: Window Tinting