RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 06:55 PM
NuLexLuv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?

Is there info on the RX for 2010, the new redesigned style/model?
I saw a "future concept" car that shows how it will look and though futuristic it didn't have the appeal of the current RX.
Dying to get the RX 2009 but also holding out just in case the 2010 model is truly out of this world (and NOT the one I saw).
Advice/opinion?
Old 05-24-08, 09:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

umm yeh wait. im waiting to get rid of my 2004. it will be damn worth it. if you want specs, you should probably look at the new highlander as it will probably share a lot of the same stuff. expect the same 3.5 liter engine probably putting out 290 horses.

lexus is very hush hush about their future stuff. the one you saw at the tokyo auto show was just a concept and just hints at the shape of the car. i wouldnt buy the 09. it doesnt have any of the modern tech toys. you will be wishing for push button start, aux jack, keyless entry. for goodness sakes, even the toyota corolla has an aux jack.
Old 05-25-08, 08:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy at invoice now.You won't with an '10.
You will however have 30 more HP,Smart Start and a bit of a redesign.
Old 05-25-08, 11:33 AM
yokozuna
Driver School Candidate

Default Redesigned RX - Third Row Seat ?

Was talking with a friend at the local dealer and was told that a third row seat would change the roof and rear of the new RX if a third row seat was added and that nobody at Lexus wants that.

Anybody know anything about the new RX and what it might be like ?

Thanks
Old 05-25-08, 06:05 PM
RXSF

im pretty sure they confirmed it will not be a 7 seater.
Old 05-25-08, 06:53 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?-2010rx.jpg

Hello, I work at the factory in Canada that produces the current generation Lexus RX, and will be soon producing the 2010 version. Changes on the exterior are minimal, except with the grill inserted into the body, the addition of the front quarter glass, and the rear windshield wiper being hidden under the rear wing.

The interior, suspension, and engine have the most changes. Few details have been released to us, but we do have a few working models at the factory that have been sent from japan.

Exterior,
I have included a picture that I thew together poorly. The car looks very similar to the new Toyota Venza coming out in the same year. It is as close to the real thing as I could get. I have spent the last few weeks looking at the vehicle and I am pretty sure I have the closest looking photo to what will be rolling out in March of 2009.

Interior,
First off, 5 seats, not 7! Thats the most important information everyone wants to know. Bluetooth keyless entry and ignition. A larger navigation screen sunken into dashboard with no touchscreen function as it wont be reachable. There is however a joystick-type-idrive-mouse-sort of control that will control in the center console the navigation menu and system.
The center console is also built into the dashboard for a more streamlined look. The bottom of the center console has a hole for access to something like a box of tissues from either the drive side or passenger. There will be a new 2 screen DVD entertainment system option located on the headrests instead of on the roof liner. The interior feels slightly smaller, but we were told it is the same dimensions as the current model. Lastly the spare tire will now be accessible from the rear trunk area instead of underneath. Most other parts on the interior are completely redesigned, and hard to describe.

Engine, Transmission, Suspension,

The engine looks similar to the current 3.5L, but it's much tighter due to a smaller hood opening. There is now a owner accessible air filter with easy removable clips, it takes no more than 1 minute to change, if you ever tried with the current generation to change your own filter you will appreciate this. There are rumors that the engine produces more power, but those are just rumors as of now. The transmission is different and has 6 gears, with the return of manual mode shifting as an option. The suspension has been completely redesigned and feels much stiffer and sportier than the outgoing model, but still retains its quietness.

Thats all for now, enjoy!

Last edited by Amac; 05-25-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 07:05 PM
RXSF

...joystick type module? o god...lexus is drifting away from the touch screen.....has the world gone mad?

thanks for the picture...it doesnt look very appealing now...lol but the effort shows. i see you took the venza and added the IS grill. haha thanks for the info
Old 05-25-08, 07:12 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks.. buick to me
Old 05-25-08, 07:31 PM
mihink
Driver School Candidate

That photochop looks like a**. I bought an '08 model...hopefully my car will still look fresh when that 'thing' comes out in '09. Plus..I have touchscreen navi, thank God!!
Old 05-25-08, 08:02 PM
RXSF

fear not guys, thats not a photochop. its just the toyota venza, which im sure lexus will add its touches to.
Old 05-26-08, 07:23 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no touchscreen and stiffer suspension are making me worried :S
Old 05-26-08, 10:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On second thought, just based of looks only, anyone wanted an RX go out and get the 2009 model. This pic looks pretty ugly. The front end is especially ugly.
Old 05-26-08, 11:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I wish Lexus would have stock with the rounded back like that of my RX300.
Old 05-26-08, 11:49 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amac
Hello, I work at the factory in Canada that produces the current generation Lexus RX, and will be soon producing the 2010 version. Changes on the exterior are minimal, except with the grill inserted into the body, the addition of the front quarter glass, and the rear windshield wiper being hidden under the rear wing.

The interior, suspension, and engine have the most changes. Few details have been released to us, but we do have a few working models at the factory that have been sent from japan.
Welcome to ClubLexus, Amac!!! Thanks for posting. Your hints match up with those of an auto industry reporter who reported the following rumors:

http://community.myride.com/kickapps...4518D3?as=3898

Originally Posted by James Fabin
There are fully produced versions of each driving around in the US today. Next, the 6-Speed transmission will make it to the next RX. And finally, the RX will get a boost in power to bring it around the 300hp mark. This is done with improvements to the current engine of the RX350, not a new engine.

Now for the new stuff which I'm shocked hasn't already made itself onto the net. The interior of the RX will be all new – the dash pushed much farther forward to open up the cabin. The LCD screen is also being super sized to a whopping 9 inches! Now that caused a problem – the LCD was too far away to reach. So Lexus did a lot of research and came up with a very Apple like answer. The next RX WILL (yes WILL, not might or should) have a touch-pad located between the front two seats (near todays cup holders) that navigates a pointer on the larger 9 inch main screen. It's like reaching down to grab your mouse on your computer – easy to do without looking at where your fingers are. The RX will also be available with 20-inch tires (smaller 18-inches will be standard).
The touchscreen being replaced by some sort of larger screen+controller is very mysterious, and gives lots of us Lexus touchscreen aficionados pause. I hope it's not some glorified i-drive and it is better in some way...

As for looks, if it refines the LF-Xh concept and marries it to the current RX, giving it the rumored 'coupe on stilts' look that sounds good.
Attached Thumbnails RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?-milano-salone.jpg  
Old 05-26-08, 02:33 PM
Amac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the positive and not so positive replies. As for using the Toyota Venza as a benchmark for the new RX, I used it because of the shape of the headlights and the size of the body. The bumpers are definately different on the Lexus, they are much rounder and fatter in the corners than the picture. The navigation system control shouldn't scare anyone, it seems very functional and looks pretty cool too. It is definately not a touchscreen its not a mouse or a trackball, the closest thing I can describe is a free motion joystick. I am sure Lexus will come out with a nickname for it, but it is really slick. The navigation screen is too far from the seats to touch it, and is also set really deep into the dashboard to keep sunlight and reflection away. I forgot to mention that some of the vehicles have a silver roof rack instead of black. I am not sure if this is an option or not, but it changes the look. The rear wing is also going to be body colored like the current generation "pebble beach." Another addition is in the rear cargo area, now there are levers to lower the seats located on each side near the wheel wells.

Don't be scared by the sloppy picture I put together, the shape overall is similar to the current RX, with big changes to the grille and lights. The RX concept picture that somebody uploaded after myself looks nothing like the model going into production.

Just a note you may want to know,
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada builds the Lexus RX350, for the North American market(Roughly 80,000 units per year.) Most 2003 and many 2004 models were built in Japan. The RX400h is only built in Japan. You can check your VIN number to see where it was built. If it starts with "JT" yours is made in Kyushu ,Japan, if its "2T" its made in Canada, and the engine is made in West Virginia.

Quick Reply: RX in 2010? Worth the Wait?