RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I'm getting a ClearBra installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 11:35 AM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting a ClearBra installed

I have an appointment to take my 330 in for a ClearBra install tomorrow. I few days ago I went over to Clear Bra of Oregon and talked to the owner. It's a pretty small shop, but he spent a lot of time comparing the different films used (Clear Bra and others). Basically, he's going to do a front of hood, full front bumper, head and fog lights, and mirror backs. 12 mil film, custom fitting, vs. pre-cut kits.

Compared to what the Lexus dealer was offering, it's a little more. But they showed me a used white RX330 on the lot that had THEIR clear film installed, and it looked like just a few narrow patches of material--not even close to being worth what they wanted to charge.

From poking around on the web looking at Stongard and Xpel, I'm feeling like I'm getting at least an equally good product, although a lot will depend on the workmanship. I'm guessing that as long as they don't leave a lot of narrow or pointed ends (which are likely to begin to peel back over time), I should be pretty happy. They have a several-year warranty against cracking, peeling, yellowing, and covering workmanship.

I'll let you know how it goes, and maybe post some pics. Incidentally, I asked the guy if he would do group buy pricing, and he said that he preferred to work on a referral basis... so if anyone in the Portland, OR, area is interested, let me know--maybe we can set up a chain of people to give referrals for each other or something.
Old 10-23-03, 12:36 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a bmw without clear bra and my lexus has had a clear bra installed by the previous owner.
I just touch up the bmw as soon as I get a stone chip and personally I don't think the BMW's front end looks any worse than the lexus (with the invisible bra).

It looks like the clear bra was installed without verifying that the surface was perfectly clean.

Also, there were some minor stone chips which were not touched up before the bra was installed and now they are starting to show through and there is nothing I can do, short of removing the clear bra and repainting hood. Can you say Pain in the ---?

Make sure you get it done at the right spot and by someone who is very meticulous about the installation, otherwise long term you'll be sorry....

Just one minor issue, where the invisible bra curves around the end of the hood, eventually you will get the plastic peeling and it looks like crap.

Hope I didn't burst your invisible bubble!
Cheers,

Fern