RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Can buy RX 330 and have it shipped to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-03, 03:57 PM
heytae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can buy RX 330 and have it shipped to CA?

Hi,

I'm new to the RX330 world and Club Lexus.

I just put a down payment on an AWD RX330 with Nav (no ML) from a dealer here in the Bay Area (San Jose, CA). The car is due to arrive this Friday. I really want the adaptive cruise control, but all the local dealers told me that Lexus doesn't offer it any longer. (???)

Then I find the Club Lexus and I read that other RX330 owners HAVE and were able to get the adaptive cruise control!!!

Seems like some parts of the country get the adaptive cruise but CA doesn't??? If so, I'm thinking that maybe I can cancel my current order and order the RX330 from an out-of-state dealer and have it shipped to a local dealer. I know some friends who did this with their Corvettes (ie: buy from a FL dealer and take delivery here in CA, for a modest fee). Many Corvette magazines have dealers advertising nationwide for such type of purchases.

So my questions are:
1) Are RX330s still available with adaptive cruise? How can I know for sure? There seems to be conflicting info, even here on Club Lexus.
2) Does anyone know of a dealer that can get this option?
3) Where can I find a list of out-of-state Lexus dealers that'll sell to a CA customer?

Thanks!
Tae
Old 09-21-03, 08:06 PM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Adaptive cruise is a hard option to come across on a dealer's lot. You can order one to be built with it, but that will take awhile for delivery. For a list of dealers, just visit Lexus' website. I'm sure any dealer would be happy to sell to you.
Old 09-21-03, 09:10 PM
heytae
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it seems like the adaptive cruise is a hard option to find.

If I do a special order, is it crazy to expect to still get $3K off of MSRP? One dealer told me that it'll take 3 to 4 months (I can accept that), but it'll be full MSRP instead of the above discount I can get on a particular car that's due to arrive this Friday. Paying full MSRP is hard to swallow.

Tae
Old 09-22-03, 09:23 AM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

It seems dealers will not come of MSRP much on special orders because they are affraid that you will back out of the deal and they might be stuck with a vehicle that might be hard to sell. I would suggest you figure out what exactly you want and email it to all the dealers in your area and see which one will give you the best offer.
Old 09-22-03, 11:21 AM
chatrathi
Rookie

Post Another thing to consider

Another thing to consider when you purchase a vehicle from out-of-state and bring it into CA, there is a charge associated with it. Especially if it happens within 10-15 days of your purchase. So there may be additional hidden costs in this deal.

Check this site for details: www.dmv.ca.gov.

Some notable information:

What should a California resident look for when buying a new vehicle from another state?

California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired.

and

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/noncaveh/noncaveh.htm

Hope this helps.

-chatrathi
Old 09-22-03, 12:23 PM
heytae
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate these good points.

Does anyone know if the RX330s are certified for all US states? Or does CA get a special version to meet smog requirements?

Thanks,
Tae
Old 09-22-03, 12:44 PM
chatrathi
Rookie

AFAIK, all most all new vehicles sold in the US are CA emissions compliant. If they are not, then there is typically a small upcharge to make them compliant.

You can easily get this information by looking under the hood of the vehicle. The emissions sticker should say if it meets CA emissions standards.

There are primarily two issues to think of in your case:
a. Smog/emissions issue - which you will be covered because Lexus makes all cars compliant with CA requirements
b. Other legal/tax requirements - this may need some research on your part. For example, if you buy a car in another state and get it registered (i.e., pay that state) and then drive it into CA. You will have to pay CA registration (not a small amount - 2% of the value of the sale price!). This second part was put in place to specifically discourage people from going to states where there is no sales tax and bringing in new vehicles into the state of CA.

-chatrathi
Old 09-22-03, 02:57 PM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

I was told by Serramonte Lexus for a special order it would be a $5000 deposit and full MSRP, no discounting. However, I did see on the "Build Your Lexus" on lexus.com a few weeks ago there was an AWD with Nav/ML Package and the laser adaptive cruise control.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, how much are you getting off MSRP for your RX330 AWD? My dealer was willing to match the $2500 off from another dealer or the $2000 above invoice from the Costco program. My configuration is: AWD, Premium Plus, Nav, 18" wheels and heated seats.