Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Constantly changing bulbs

Old 03-01-15, 01:03 PM   #1
Ajjk
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Constantly changing bulbs

I am changing headlights taillights etc every 6 to 9 months. The dealership says it's normal. Its usually a different light but still it seems so often. Is this normal?
2007 rx 350
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Ajjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 03:35 PM   #2
Rainbird

Dewey Maxwell

I don't know what that guy at the dealership is smoking but this is not normal. I have a 2007 RX350 as well. It entered service in March 2006. I have never replaced a single light on the car. Best to go to another dealership or an independent shop that works on our cars.
Old 03-01-15, 07:33 PM   #3
kiwi
Lead Lap

try replacing them with LEDs, i use dx .com. the shipping is slow, but the prices are crazy low.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 11:21 PM   #4
neelnaik
Pole Position

Welcome to Club Lexus Ajjk!

You don't specify whether you have HID headlights or halogen headlights. HID headlights should last 5-7 years (depending on use) before going out (or losing enough output that they should be replaced). I don't remember how long exactly halogen bulbs seem to last (I went to HID and never looked back), but I would guess somewhere around 5 years, depending on use.

What do you mean by it's usually a different light? Do you mean that 1 taillight will go out, and then 6 months later another taillight (or parking light bulb) will go out? If this is the case, this may actually be normal. Let's do a thought experiment.

So for example, in the case of the taillights, there are 4 bulbs. So say you replace the driver left one today, 6-9 months later the driver right goes, 6-9 months after that the passenger left goes out, 6-9 months after that the passenger right goes out. 6-9 months after that the driver left goes out again. So if you do the math, the first bulb you replaced, the driver left side, lasted you 24-36 months, which is 2-3 years. Add a couple more bulbs to the mix (which are also on when the taillights are on), such as the front parking lights (2 bulbs) and front side marker lights (2 bulbs), and now you are looking at 48-72 months (4-6 years) since the last time the driver side left taillight burned out. 4-6 years of use before burning out seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If this is what is happening to you, you might just want to spend the money and replace all running light bulbs at once so you are good for a while.
neelnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 11:21 PM