Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Valve clearance

Old 08-29-14, 04:01 PM   #1
Band
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Valve clearance

I can find no reference to checking valve adjustment at any mileage. I can't believe that correct clearance lasts forever.
BMW, for one, requires clearance check at the 60K mile service.
Any comments on this?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 06:29 PM   #2
JoeInHNL
Rookie

I found the requirement in the "2004 Owner's Manual Supplement: Warranty and Scheduled Maintenance"

In the table of engine maintenance it is listed as Valve Clearance with an "I" for inspect and correct and replace as necessary at 60K miles.

Under "Explanation of scheduled maintenance items" it says:

Valve Clearance
Inspect the tappet noise and engine vibration and adjust if necessary. A qualified technician should perform this operation.

So apparently Lexus Techs are so good they can tell if a valve needs adjustment by sound and feel.

The Haynes manual has checking valve clearance in the tune-up and routine maintenance chapter. It shows the usual method of pulling the valve covers and checking the clearance with a feeler gauge.

I have not heard of anyone actually checking the clearance. The front cylinders would be relatively easy. The back a PITA since you need to remove the upper intake manifold to get the valve cover off.
JoeInHNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 04:47 PM   #3
Band
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Joe
I saw the bit about "inspecting" valve clearance. I suppose if the valves are clicking, the lash has opened up a bit, which probably won't hurt anything. It will affect valve timing a slight bit. I suspect lash increases ( if any) rather than decreases on these motors.
Since valve lash adjustment doesn't seem to be an issue, I'll cruise on and not worry about it.I've got 83KMiles and a very quiet motor.
Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 08:05 PM   #4
thomas1
Lexus Champion

Yup, had 189k miles on last RX300, and 148k on RX400h and both engines are quiet. Let it go, the new engines are very much better than old yesterday engines.

super home mechanic
Protect our Constitution, Tea Party
Papa to 9, 7 girls, 2 boys
thomas1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 11:02 AM   #5
rcannon409
Driver School Candidate

The ohc motors, like we have, ALWAYS get tighter when the valves move. The clearance goes to zero. Noise is good...no noise is bad. Learned this the hard way on a Honda crf 450 dirt bike.

I said ALWAYS. There may be a case where it wore away and increased, but that wont hurt anything until it gets seriously bad. Its like chains..loose is a thousand times better than too tight.
rcannon409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:29 AM   #6
pauljcl
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
The ohc motors, like we have, ALWAYS get tighter when the valves move. The clearance goes to zero. Noise is good...no noise is bad. Learned this the hard way on a Honda crf 450 dirt bike.

I said ALWAYS. There may be a case where it wore away and increased, but that wont hurt anything until it gets seriously bad. Its like chains..loose is a thousand times better than too tight.
I thought that any lash was adjusted for hydraulically, as in most modern motors. The oil pressure keeps the clearances tight.
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:29 AM