RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Steering Gear Replacement and Spark Plugs/waterpump and transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 09:11 PM
snydertalo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Gear Replacement and Spark Plugs/waterpump and transmission cooler

07 RX350, FWB 113K

My wife brought the car in for an oil change since I wasn't able to get to it. The mechanic noticed that the steering gear is leaking. I've been searching for instructions and havn't been able to find one. I've even found where people said they would make a DIY (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nion-help.html) but have not. So, in the words of Bill O'Reilly "We'll do it live". That said, if you know of any instructions, that would be awesome.

Is the issue with them just the seals? I can buy a kit from NAPA for $27 (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...783_0371911626) and rebuild the pump myself, or this kit could be the gaskets required to install the gear. Anyone have any experience with either one? Worst case, I'll get a re-manufactured one from ebay. I found one source that sells them for sub $200 and provides a 2 yr warranty.

Also, while I'm digging around under the hood, pissed off at the world because nothing is going the way I plan, I am thinking of replacing the spark plugs and water pump. Thoughts on this? I know its 7k early for the plugs. And for the waterpump, i couldn't find a schedule (found the DIY). We bought the car used and don't know if the previous owner did or not. I figure $100 and 12 hours of hating my life are worth my wife not being stranded somewhere and us having to get the car towed. It never happens when it's convenient, so I'd like to replace it when it is. I assume I'd throw these two together since I have to take have the car apart anyways for the spark plugs.

I plan on getting a head of all the maintenance and doing all of the 120K maint at 115K because I'm not sure how well the previous owner maintained it. Is there any other preventative maintenance not included in the manual you would suggest?

I don't have the car to look at now, so I don't know if the 07 comes with one, but I plan on putting a transmission cooler on it. I'm looking at getting one from Autozone. I plan on measuring out the area I want to put it in, and the getting the one with the closest fit.

Any other information you have, tips and tricks, problems to watch for, etc, I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-27-14, 06:48 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry buddy - I didnt get to the power steeriing rack yet - The rack is probably the most common issue in our cars. In the meantime I did the struts, axles, brakes, timing belt/water pump and spark plugs.

Search my username and you may find some of the DIYs useful even though I have a 330 and not a 350. Others with 350s have done writeups on spark plugs and water pumps you just need to search.

I would suggest tranny fluid and change coolant while youre doing the water pump. Also inspect your front lower A-arm bushings.