RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Front knocking sound at slow speeds. Tie rod shot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 10:03 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front knocking sound at slow speeds. Tie rod shot?

So, I was driving my wife's care the other day. 2006 RX330 AWD with 105K. When going at slow speeds in the driveway, when turning the wheels, I heard a knock sound. I asked her how long this had been going on, and she couldn't give me a definite answer, which is what I had expected...
I was playing around under there today, with the front end jacked up, trying to find something that was loose and may be making that sound.
Here is what I found:
• When grabbing the wheel at 9 & 3, and at 12 & 6, there was no real play (both wheels off the ground)
• When jacked up, and wheel off, the lower control bushing (I think, rubber hockey puck looking thing??) showed signs of rubber cracking, when it was hanging down and not under pressure
• If I grabbed the outer tie rod arm, I am able to twist (rotate) this easily with my hand, and was able to get some grease to come out of the end boot
• With the key in the ignition, and turned to the first position, I am able to turn the wheels (by grabbing them by hand) with the front end jacked up, but felt increased push back, when I came towards the more extreme far right or left aimed positions
• No real signs of leakage seen from anywhere along the steering rack.

I guess my question is do I have a few different things going on, and should I be able to twist the tie rod end by hand when the front end is off of the ground, or is that a sign that they are shot? I have replaced the outer tie rods end on other cars, but not this one. From what I have mentioned, is there any sign of the inner tie rod needing to be replaced as well? Could the lower control arm bushing be cracked, cause any of this either?

Thanks in advance for helping me diagnose this issue!
Old 02-17-14, 04:54 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is normal for the tie rod to be able to twist a little, no worries there.

checking the front end is rather hard to type on here, i would recommend a checking youtube, or taking it to a garage. they will only charge .5 hour labour or less. which is probably worth the safety of you and your family.

to me, from your description, it sounds like worn sway bar bushings or end links. either of which are perfectly safe to drive when worn out.
Old 02-17-14, 06:00 PM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

How about twisting a 1/4 turn in either direction easily? Is that much travel normal?
What exactly do you mean by end links? Which part are you referring to here

Thanks
Old 02-17-14, 06:10 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

twisting a 1/4 turn sounds about right. you have to think about how much moving that part does when you are driving, turn hard left or right and going over bumps

anyway. the end link is what connects the end of the sway bar to the strut. its about a foot long.

the way to test this is (hopefully you have springs and not airbags) park on level ground, car off. grab the right link with your left hand and rock the vehicle (pushing up on your back) be careful as to not damage the fenders. repeat on the other side.

if you feel a good heavy clunk in your hand, the link is probably bad.
Old 02-18-14, 03:52 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the additional information kiwi. I will have to jack up her car to check on those items.

One last thing regarding the tie rod. I now feel comfortable that twisting side to side motion is ok, but when I did this to the extreme right or left, I did have some grease come out. Does that mean the the seal has gone bad? I don't think that our ends have a grease fitting on them, right?
Old 02-18-14, 07:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Strut mount/bearing??
Old 02-18-14, 03:52 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

you cant check the end links with the car jacked up. must be on the ground,

grease fittings are pretty much a thing of the past. some aftermarket joints come with them, but people dont no longer get a lube oil and filter, just an oil and filter now.

if the joint has no movement, i wouldnt worry about the grease coming out, just keep your eye on it as it will probably wear out sooner than one that had all its grease.
Old 02-18-14, 07:14 PM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I will check for this wear while the tires are on the ground.