RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Buying an RX 400h. Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 08:23 AM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an RX 400h. Please advise

Hello,

I am looking at buying a 2008 RX 400h with 80k miles (130k kms). The paint, exterior and the interior look mint. It has the "Ultra Premium" package.

The seller is the bigger Lexus stealership in my city. I have asked them to replace the timing belt as a part of the deal. The vehicle was purchased and always serviced there and the records are available. It is collision free based on the carfax report.

The paint on two of the rims is flaking off and they have offered to replace the rims. I have to make sure the new wheels are not the 17" base model's.

I have left a refundable deposit and will go today to see it again and finalize the deal. Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for? Is the hybrid RX even recommended? I will appreciate your suggestions and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.

Last edited by Panoptic; 01-15-14 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 08:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Great car, but ask them if the Recall has been done on it for the inverter IPM board. I would also tell them you want the CVT transmission fluid changed. Drive it and if you hear any rumble or weird noise from the wheels you could have a wheel bearing going bad. Great Car, and consumers shows it to be excellent in reliability.
Old 01-15-14, 08:42 AM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. This is my list so far:

- Recall done for IPM board?
- Change CVT transmission fluid
- Replace timing belt
- Replace faded rear emblem
- Replace rims with same style and size
- Include/compensate for missing wireless headphones
Old 01-15-14, 09:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Regarding your purchase of a Hybrid RX, have you perused over the posts here? Tons of knowledge base.

And it is all about your negotiations at the end of the day. The important thing is to walk away with the car feeling satisfied. And nobody got beat. Not them, not you.

Nothing replaces detailed investigation and knowing all your options. Lexus Dealer or not, you need to know what you are buying.

You could have gone to the Lexus owner's website and found out everything that has been done on this car via the VIN. I still suggest that you do it. All it takes is to register.

My sister in law has one and they love it.

Good luck and post some pics after you take it home.
Old 01-15-14, 09:28 AM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Welcome to CL.

Regarding your purchase of a Hybrid RX, have you perused over the posts here? Tons of knowledge base.

And it is all about your negotiations at the end of the day. The important thing is to walk away with the car feeling satisfied. And nobody got beat. Not them, not you.

Nothing replaces detailed investigation and knowing all your options. Lexus Dealer or not, you need to know what you are buying.

You could have gone to the Lexus owner's website and found out everything that has been done on this car via the VIN. I still suggest that you do it. All it takes is to register.

My sister in law has one and they love it.

Good luck and post some pics after you take it home.
Thanks for the pointer. I have the VIN number with me and will check out that site right away.

As far as the dealership getting beat, realistically what are the chances of that every happening? I am not fond of used car salesmen in general and try to watch my behind as best as I can.

I went for a quick look and test drive at lunch time and the man was in a rush to get a signature and finalize a deal. That's despite the fact that I said I was going to bring my mechanic buddy to check it out as well. I did sign a conditional agreement which he wasn't happy about. I won't get into more details but they are pushy and dishonest. The car is mint though and if they agree to fix the few small issues on top of the timing belt I think I will be happy. Otherwise I will walk away. Regardless of what happens at the stealership I will be buying an RX of some kind in the next few days.

Last edited by Panoptic; 01-15-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 09:38 AM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately Lexus Drivers website does not recognize the Canadian VIN number.
Old 01-15-14, 09:57 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/secure/owners/campaigns

I dont think you can pull up maintenance history from the lexus cananda site...
Old 01-15-14, 10:10 AM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/secure/owners/campaigns

I dont think you can pull up maintenance history from the lexus cananda site...
Thanks for the link. The vehicle has been serviced at the dealership and they have provided me with the history. Basically nothing other than regular maintenance. Here is what website shows (no service history):

Recalls found

The following safety recall(s) or customer satisfaction campaign(s) are associated with your Vehicle Identification Number.

Our records indicate that the required services or repairs have not been completed on your vehicle. Please Request an Appointment with your Lexus Dealership as soon as possible to have the required services or repairs completed.

VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
216 - REPLACE THE INTELLIGENT POWER MODULE (IPM) TRANSISTOR IN THE INVERTER (REVISED)
Old 01-15-14, 12:23 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps it's different in Canada but in the US if a recall isn't expressed to an owner at service and certainly on used Lexus sale then a certain liability is assumed by the dealer and none of them will accept that. It's very strange that a dealer would offer a used car with outstanding recalls, pointless really, Lexus reimburses them for the work.
Old 01-15-14, 12:26 PM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Perhaps it's different in Canada but in the US if a recall isn't expressed to an owner at service and certainly on used Lexus sale then a certain liability is assumed by the dealer and none of them will accept that. It's very strange that a dealer would offer a used car with outstanding recalls, pointless really, Lexus reimburses them for the work.
Well, they can offer what they want. Will I pay for it with outstanding issues. Heck no. I'm heading to the dealership in a couple of hours. Will let you guys know the result.
Old 01-15-14, 04:48 PM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

CVT transmission fluid change and rear emblem replacement was a deal breaker for the dealership. I had to walk but I will keep looking until I find the right RX
Old 01-15-14, 06:47 PM
danielkwok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Panoptic
CVT transmission fluid change and rear emblem replacement was a deal breaker for the dealership. I had to walk but I will keep looking until I find the right RX
wow. what dealer was that? those are such minor items.
Old 01-15-14, 07:18 PM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by danielkwok
wow. what dealer was that? those are such minor items.
The bigger one of the two Lexus dealerships in my city. I was surprised too. They broke off a twenty something thousand dollar sale over a couple of minor items that would barely add up to $300-$400. That car has been sitting at their lot since Dec 5. They didn't even make a counter offer...
Old 01-15-14, 07:23 PM
Panoptic
Driver School Candidate

Buying an RX 400h. Please advise-2nrchge.jpg
Buying an RX 400h. Please advise-htlgtxk.jpg
Buying an RX 400h. Please advise-q8zw4c3.jpg
Buying an RX 400h. Please advise-yfma7om.jpg