RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Daytime Running Light malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 09:13 PM
ptcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Light malfunction?

Hello. I'm new here. My name is Ames. Just got a 2004 RX for my mom last week. This is our first non-American vehicle. Its really nice, very impressed so far. Headlights work great. Low beam (HIDs), great. High beam, great. Parking lights, great. Daytime running lights (after this I'm calling them DRLs), great. BUT DRLs only work great when headlights are OFF or when only parking lights are on. When I turn the headlights on - the passenger side DRL goes out - driver side stays on. Any ideas? I'm fairly handy (I do all my own work on my 2001 Chrysler 300m) so if I get pointed in the right direction I should be able to figure this out. My understanding from brief research is that there are 5 fuses and 5 relays for my headlights? Seriously? Wow. I'm guessing one of those is the culprit. Where do I find those? I'm not used to all these plastic covers on everything! Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-13, 02:47 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that the "[1] parking front bulb" listed here is what you have burned out.

I just replaced mine this last weekend as I noticed the same thing.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/5435.html
Old 10-23-13, 07:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, ptcruiser.

The first thing I might try would be to move the bulb from the working side to the non-working side to see if the problem moves as well.

Next, I am pretty sure the DLR and high beam bulb is the same thing. There is a relay which alters the voltage to the bulb so it does not burn as bright for DLR use as needed for high beams. So, perhaps we are talking about another bulb as mentioned above or perhaps the relay is acting up. The relay is 82642E in the following diagram:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2004.html

Now, if it is the parking light being discussed, that is just a stock 168 bulb.

Do you know if you have the standard halogen headlights or if you have the HID upgrade? If you have headlight washers you have HID or HID with AFS (auto leveling).

There has been a noted problem with the headlights on the 2nd Generation RX, and many others, having a water condensation problem. Over time the water can damage the connections and ballasts.
Old 10-23-13, 09:18 AM
Formula271
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mentioned the passenger side bulb was out...also same side as mine. Removing the bolt that secures the washer fluid reservoir fill neck makes access much easier.

At the same time, I also noticed bulb "[3]" from the link I posted above was out. These illuminate the thin amber strips on the outboard-most sides of the headlamps when the lights are on. It's not listed on the parts menu on the right, but is the same 168 style bulb. I replaced these too and my headlamps sparkle like that haven't in years! Might wanna check yours...
Old 10-23-13, 09:15 PM
ptcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula271
My guess is that the "[1] parking front bulb" listed here is what you have burned out.

I just replaced mine this last weekend as I noticed the same thing.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/5435.html
This was the problem. I've only ever driven/owned American cars and I've never seen two seperate bulbs in the same light reflector before. Lexus tricked me! Now I know. The CARFAX noted "electrical system checked" about 1,000 miles ago so I was fearing a deeper issue. I'll happily buy a $.99 bulb. Also, the 4 push fasteners that I removed to get to this bulb were 387x more durable and user-friendly than the ones on my Chryslers. I could get used to this Lexus thing. Now I've got to get some keys cut/programmed. That should be fun. ... Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice!