RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

LED interior lights - blown fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 12:41 PM
richkan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED interior lights - blown fuse?

Hi guys,

I tried to install interior led lights on my rx400h today. Changed the dome light successfully, than the middle map light in the front, but when I tried to install the right side map light all lights went out.

I think the fuse went out as i did something wrong...

Anyone have an idea which fuse I should change?
Old 07-09-13, 01:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Check your manual. Best resource.

Last edited by mandyfig; 07-09-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 08:05 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Check your manual. Best resource.
most useless post ever...

person with question:
"my car is making funny noises"

person with answer:
"bring it to mechanic--you're welcome"

BAM that man just saved the day...

anyway--same problem here... and instead of actually helping this website just wasted my time.
Old 11-11-13, 10:05 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ wtf are you going on about?

No one is going to have the fuse box layout memorized - that is what the manual is for... it says in black and white what goes where and what it relates to.

In this case, you'd look for the fuse labelled with interior lights, and swap it out.
Old 11-11-13, 10:12 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luxe88
anyway--same problem here... and instead of actually helping this website just wasted my time.
That seemed like the right answer to me. I certainly wouldn't expect anybody here to have memorized which fuses control what for every year/model second gen RX.

With all due respect to both you and OP... I've been on this forum for about a month now, and have been very grateful for all of the help that I've received. But certain questions really can be answered by just looking it up in the manual. No manual handy? Search online at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-manual-search

But that's where the answer to that particular question can be found.
Old 11-11-13, 04:58 PM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Yes the manual is the reference to each car... (but real men dont read manuals...) however there are a few things that couldve been a bit more useful like a link provided for those without a manual.. or a simple "dome fuse" response so people can know exactly what they're looking for.

Not my problem--but i see people still taking forever just to locate the "login" button on a webpage.... now imagine asking that type of person to browse through a manual to find one specific thing.

What would be the purpose of this forum if we can simply google anything? It is all about streamlining... optimising the time spent research by getting a community of likemind people to hasten out past-times.
Old 11-11-13, 05:03 PM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^ wtf are you going on about?

No one is going to have the fuse box layout memorized - that is what the manual is for... it says in black and white what goes where and what it relates to.

In this case, you'd look for the fuse labelled with interior lights, and swap it out.
Your advice disproves your arguement. Your information given is not only minimal but WRONG... it is in the fuse box labeled "DOME" on the underside of the fusebox cover. If you read the manual it would be the same--labelled "dome"

check your sources before you try to be a smartass.
Old 11-11-13, 08:02 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

What would be the purpose of this forum if we can simply google anything? It is all about streamlining... optimising the time spent research by getting a community of likemind people to hasten out past-times.
Well, there's a lot that can't be found in the manuals. I've asked questions about installing an aftermarket stereo in my car that has factory nav, after Best Buy said it couldn't be done (hint: It can and it now is). I've read interesting posts about headlight restoration kids. LCD kits for the interior. Questions about the incorrect tonneau cover I bought... all answered here, and not the types of questions that can be answered by the manual.

I believe, and you're certainly free to disagree, that we have an obligation to make our own efforts before asking the questions here (or in any other support forum).

Honestly, I think the question, "I need to swap out a fuse, but don't have an owner's manual handy... can anybody tell me where to get one?" (which has been asked and answered here quite a bit) would have been a much better question to ask. But where I'm from, RTFM is the common and generally accepted answer to questions asked on forums when those same questions can be easily answered via 30 seconds of either Googling or... well, R'ing TFM
Old 11-11-13, 08:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by richkan
Hi guys,

I tried to install interior led lights on my rx400h today. Changed the dome light successfully, than the middle map light in the front, but when I tried to install the right side map light all lights went out.

I think the fuse went out as i did something wrong...

Anyone have an idea which fuse I should change?
I am assuming you are installing these with the vehicle turned off, correct? Seems like an idiot question, but one never knows. If you were installing with the vehicle off it would be unlikely you did anything to blow a fuse as long as it was the correct bulb for the application. Very hard for an LED to pull enough current to overload a mini fuse.

If you put back a couple of the original bulbs do things start working again? If yes, then you have a situation where the LEDs you are purchasing may not have enough, or any, resistance in them for the system to function properly when they are installed. Or, you selected a CAN Bus LED when it the application did not call for one, or the other way around. First, check to see what happens when you put the originals back.
Old 11-11-13, 09:56 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Your advice disproves your arguement. Your information given is not only minimal but WRONG... it is in the fuse box labeled "DOME" on the underside of the fusebox cover. If you read the manual it would be the same--labelled "dome"

Quit being a t.wat

I haven't had to swap over LED's in years, so I apologize for not running out into my car to check the manual to make sure I have the lingo down so some internet-clown approves, because I called him out on trying to be an e-hero, and basically suggesting the whole forum is at the mercy of new members that are too brain dead to consider opening their manuals.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I am assuming you are installing these with the vehicle turned off, correct? Seems like an idiot question, but one never knows. If you were installing with the vehicle off it would be unlikely you did anything to blow a fuse as long as it was the correct bulb for the application. Very hard for an LED to pull enough current to overload a mini fuse.

If you put back a couple of the original bulbs do things start working again? If yes, then you have a situation where the LEDs you are purchasing may not have enough, or any, resistance in them for the system to function properly when they are installed. Or, you selected a CAN Bus LED when it the application did not call for one, or the other way around. First, check to see what happens when you put the originals back.
Won't make a difference - UNLESS he turned off the dome lights front & back.

Otherwise they're typically set to open with doors, and even if messing with the LED's in the door it would be enough to disrupt the fuse with multiple failed attempts.

Typically it is the dome that cause the issue as those festoon's aren't always the right size so messing with the prongs [on/off with every motion] will blow the fuse. Did that once in my ES300...

Also, you can run a canbus bulb in a non-canbus car with no ill-effects, I've got a bunch I fitted into a ct200h this weekend and they operate just fine.
Old 11-11-13, 11:02 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Won't make a difference - UNLESS he turned off the dome lights front & back.

Otherwise they're typically set to open with doors, and even if messing with the LED's in the door it would be enough to disrupt the fuse with multiple failed attempts.

Typically it is the dome that cause the issue as those festoon's aren't always the right size so messing with the prongs [on/off with every motion] will blow the fuse. Did that once in my ES300...

Also, you can run a canbus bulb in a non-canbus car with no ill-effects, I've got a bunch I fitted into a ct200h this weekend and they operate just fine.
Points taken. Should have been more precise in the choice of my words. Could not remember the situation in which a CAN Bus LED would not work proper so I threw out both possibilities. Still believe there is something up with the LEDs before the fuse.

Personally, I don't swap out anything electrical unless I am sure there is no power to that location as best possible and especially would not be changing out a bulb that was currently lit. Have been known to disconnect a battery or pull a fuse before doing some work over the years. Some of the electrical systems in years past were very temperamental to say the least. Guess if you blow a fuse in one of today's vehicles installing LEDs you should be forced to consult the Owner's Manual as penance.
Old 11-12-13, 01:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I have noticed that none of your posts on this thread attempt to do anything to answer nor add to the question asked by the OP. You were very quick to criticize, yet you never provide one piece of useful information of help. Instead we get "but real men dont read manuals..." Oh, please. I had read my Owner's Manual multiple times by the time of my 1000 mile service interval checkup and was asking questions of the service writer and service manager regarding content I found in there.

BTW, has anyone bothered to notice that richkan is from the EU? Now, where in Europe is still in question as their profile needs to be updated in all regards. My point being is that while their RX400h is probably very similar to the RX400h sold here in the States there are enough open questions one might have which would prevent some definitive answers to be provided depending on the topic.

So I ask you, luxe88, what page of the manual should I point to should theirs be printed in French? Are you 100% sure of the labeling found on vehicles sold for the European market and that everything regarding the fuses is in the same place? Would it be the same if the vehicle was righthand drive?

Personally, I am not sold that it is fuse #33 in the engine compartment -- if it truly is the same as the RX400h sold in the US. Rather, I am questioning the actual LEDs being used since we know little of them. Many cheap LEDs out there. I want the OP to go back to the beginning to see if the problem resolves itself or at least let us know that they have already tried that to no avail.