RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just got an RX330 last week...a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-03, 06:07 PM
mickylaren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an RX330 last week...a couple questions

I'm very impressed with the RX so far (I'm a convert, coming from the ML320). I have a couple questions, though. I have this weird rattling noise in the driver's door. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, the pinch protection system for the power rear hatch is completely defective. It doesn't stop when you put resistance against the door (or press the black rubber sensor around the edge). I will have these checked out after the new year.

Pics:

Last edited by mickylaren; 12-21-03 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-21-03, 08:44 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Congratulations. Looks like Savannah Metalic, the same color as i chose.

I'll have to check my hatch to see if that is a problem with my RX. I have no rattles.

You obviously live in a better climate than I do. Wish I still had green trees.
Old 12-22-03, 07:19 AM
mickylaren
Driver School Candidate

Actualy I wish I had snow. Plus, then I would have AWD.

Yep...savannah metallic. I was straddling the line between silver and savannah.
Old 12-23-03, 12:31 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The sensors for the auto rear hatch are on the hatch itself (black rubber strip on the side of hatch) not on the vehicle itself. Try touching the black rubber strip on the hatch as it is closing. The hatch also senses resistence if it is closing down on an object. (ie. if you are standing in the path of it closing. Hope this saves you a trip to the dealership. Enjoy your new RX!!!
Old 12-23-03, 09:32 PM
mickylaren
Driver School Candidate

Oh I know...they salesman showed them to us when we test drove the RX. They worked several times when the car was a day old. Now, the door just continues to shut. If you put your hand and push against the door when it's closing, it will slow down and then you have to let go (or at least I do; I don't want to break the motor) and the door lurches in the direction it was traveling and continues to shut. When we saw it at the dealership, it would reverse directions at the slightest resistance.

The black rubber strip does nothing either. It's really really strange.
Old 12-24-03, 03:48 PM
eyebike
Driver

Well, according to the manual on pg 39, jam protection (door reversal) works when the resisting force is as strong or stronger than the moving door. Moving forces increase significantly as the door approaches fully open or fully closed. So I guess it depends where in the cycle you block the door. Earlier, the less resistance you probably will need.
Old 12-24-03, 09:18 PM
mickylaren
Driver School Candidate

Trust me, neither the resistance sensor nor the black rubber strip reverse the direction of the door. You will break the motor or break your hand before the door stops moving. I tried it tonight again. It worked once, and then didn't work for the next three times.
Old 12-25-03, 10:44 PM
rx330blk
Driver School Candidate

I too have a rattle coming from the driver’s door; however, it is more of a rubbing of leather noise than a rattle. If your dealer finds out what it is that is making the noise please let us know, as it might solve my problem as well, as I am going to wait to have mine fixed at the 5k service point, since it is not all that bad.

However, it could also be that it is not coming from the driver’s door but the drivers seat, or the dashboard, these are more document rattles. For the dashboard one there is a TSB (search this forum for the #), and for the drivers seat it can be a DIY remedy (again search the forum for "creaking drivers seat"), or take it to your dealer, and have them replace the seat rails.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new car
Old 11-08-12, 05:33 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

CDN_LEXUS can you clean or adjust those sensors on the side of the hatch or just replace if you think they are causing the problem? My door goes up to top, beeps four times and than comes back down. Trying it a couple of times it eventually opens and stays open. Frustrating... Thanks, jamie
Old 11-08-12, 06:08 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Jamie, you are aware that you have responded to a post that is 9 years old..........................
Old 11-09-12, 08:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Jamie, you are aware that you have responded to a post that is 9 years old..........................

Yeah I know right?
Old 11-09-12, 11:52 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
CDN_LEXUS can you clean or adjust those sensors on the side of the hatch or just replace if you think they are causing the problem? My door goes up to top, beeps four times and than comes back down. Trying it a couple of times it eventually opens and stays open. Frustrating... Thanks, jamie
Now, with the colder weather upon us the rear hatch struts will be problematic for many as they are less efficient in cold weather. One sign they should be considered for replacement. You can clean and lubricate the struts and that may help some. However, be prepared to replace.

Like many topics, this has been discussed many times before, in addition to the second thread you posted in with the same info. Such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-any-more.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...atch-door.html
Old 11-10-12, 05:44 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Didn't know it was nine years old. I wonder if he sloved the problem by now. I thought it was heat related. Last summer,if the SUV sat all day in the parking lot the rear hatch wouldn't open. In the evenings when it cooled off it would work. Now that it's colder up here in ontario Can. the door opens every time but it now goes up, beeps four times and comes back down. Press the button again and it goes up and stays there. So it acts differently in cooler weather. i changed the multiplex rear hatch computer 89222-0E020 with no difference. I'm thinking it could be a sensor. i purchased the 2006 RX330 this spring. I love this feature, only wished it worked properly. can anybody point me in the right direction? thanks, jamie