RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Disable Seat Belt Alarm (2008)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 07:28 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willyb0b
I did this and it worked for me.
+1, and my RX is also a 2008, as the one of the OP.
Mine's actually a 400h, but this feature has nothing to see with the hybrid, so I bet there's no difference with the 350.

Btw, I don't get the point of the whole safety debate.
My mother in law lives 8 miles away from us, but there's a white road shortcut which makes the trip much shorter, and we often use that. It's a secondary road, where we travel at 20mph or so, and we met another car maybe twice in the last 5 years.
Before removing the alarm, neither myself nor my wife EVER buckled up along that road, and just lived with the annoying sound, which arguably was even dangerous, because distracting.
Now, how exactly are we (or anyone else) in greater danger now that I found a way to disable the alarm
Old 01-14-14, 12:47 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecraft
More to do about lawsuits than some of the other reasons. If they did not then someone would sue because they did not provide the feature or did not make the feature incredibly hard to disable. Does not make a difference how stupid the individual was, the manufacturer seems to always be at fault and is forced to pay one way or the other.

There is a lawsuit currently going on where a convicted felon who severely beat someone using a sneaker is now suing Nike for not putting a warning label on their shoes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...n-sue/4431131/
Old 01-14-14, 01:03 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
There is a lawsuit currently going on where a convicted felon who severely beat someone using a sneaker is now suing Nike for not putting a warning label on their shoes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...n-sue/4431131/
hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

and the lawyer took the case?
Old 01-14-14, 01:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

and the lawyer took the case?
According to the article he is representing himself. Still, there are many other similar such legal actions to make your head spin. Though, please be careful as "head spinning" may be detrimental to your health.
Old 01-14-14, 01:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spacecraft
+1, and my RX is also a 2008, as the one of the OP.
Mine's actually a 400h, but this feature has nothing to see with the hybrid, so I bet there's no difference with the 350.

My mother in law lives 8 miles away from us, but there's a white road shortcut which makes the trip much shorter, and we often use that. It's a secondary road, where we travel at 20mph or so, and we met another car maybe twice in the last 5 years.
Before removing the alarm, neither myself nor my wife EVER buckled up along that road, and just lived with the annoying sound, which arguably was even dangerous, because distracting.
Now, how exactly are we (or anyone else) in greater danger now that I found a way to disable the alarm
On more serious note...

You are driving your Lexus down the road at 20MPH. A deer jumps out on to the road and you swerve to avoid hitting it. This causes your vehicle to leave the road and hit a tree straight on. Even at that low speed the occupants in the vehicle are thrown forward more than usual since no one is wearing seat belts. As a result of the crash the airbags deploy. The occupants being much closer to the airbags than normal are severely injured when they deploy.

Who is at fault?

No matter how you slice it someone somewhere is going to figure that Toyota/Lexus is at fault in whole or part. Just defending against the lawsuit is going to be expensive.
Old 01-14-14, 03:18 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
On more serious note...

You are driving your Lexus down the road at 20MPH. A deer jumps out on to the road and you swerve to avoid hitting it. This causes your vehicle to leave the road and hit a tree straight on. Even at that low speed the occupants in the vehicle are thrown forward more than usual since no one is wearing seat belts. As a result of the crash the airbags deploy. The occupants being much closer to the airbags than normal are severely injured when they deploy.

Who is at fault?

No matter how you slice it someone somewhere is going to figure that Toyota/Lexus is at fault in whole or part. Just defending against the lawsuit is going to be expensive.
Agreed with. You may drive down the same road 99 times and never have an incident or a scare. On that 100th occasion, something happens and well "you asked for it". It's being in the mind set of being safe and protecting your vehicle occupants and yourself, not about throwing caution to the wind. You are in a motor vehicle travelling at speeds above what you naturally can do. Stop risking your life and your mother in laws. Seat belts are there for a reason.
Old 03-10-15, 03:32 PM
jwarner191
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this method didn't work on my 2009 RX 350
Old 03-11-15, 12:43 AM
elianbirau
Driver School Candidate

I will try to disable the chime on my Lexus. Not because I don't wear my seat belt! I'm very aware that I have to wear the seat belt, but when I go to my friend's house withing the subdivision, and driving the car for 2 minutes at 10-15mph, it is really annoying. I'm pretty sure I won't die if I get into a crash at 10mph.
Old 03-11-15, 02:04 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know why anyone would disable it in the first place. It stops dinging after about 20 seconds anyway. But the instructions to disable are in the owners manual.
Old 04-01-15, 04:16 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why the nagging just to get an solution?

Ok, could not go on without commenting. Come on people, when did we become a bunch of delicate little flowers in this country. I grew up as the youngest of five kids riding in the back seat of a station wagon (no seatbelts) staring out the back window getting to see where we just were, with two chain smoking parents (who refused to roll windows down due to the killer "gas fumes" would kill us all), no Ac (just the vent in the side panel by your feet and the wind wing window), am radio, no power steering, and a three speed on the column, car full loaded with seven people, all the luggage for the five people driving through the Mojave dessert every summer to visit the grand parents and can you believe it, Not even one of us have died yet. No air bags, no special features to predict a accident coming, no special sensors or flashing lights, no traction control, all terrain tire (yep, we had good old bias tires, sometimes retreads) none of the safety equipment we have today. Back then the driver was the safety equipment. Society has just become so lazy and unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions that we have turned into a nanny state. Heck, what about riding a bicycle, now we need helmet, knee/elbow pads, lights front and rear of else the police will harass you and give you a ticket. Really people, I had never worn a helmet or pads to ride a bike and I survived just fine

Do accidents happen, yes, do people get badly hurt, yes, but that does It mean we need to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap, hide in a closet with filtered air pumped in for us to be safe, no. Accidents happen. Heck, while locked in the closet with bubble wrap on and the oxygen being pumped in a plane crashes into the building and you die anyways. When it is your time, it is your time no matter where you are.
We all just need to own our own actions, be responsible for ourselves and others around us and the world would be so much better again. Put you cell phone down, turn off the DVD's, turn down the radio, put down the triple latte, and actually drive and pay attention to what you are doing.

Just because someone asks how to turn off the stupid alarm does not require a bunch of naggers giving them grief about safety. My wife and I wear our seat belts religiously, but our 2008 RX350 seat sensor is messed up and it flashes non stop, beeps and all that jazz when there is no on in the damn seat. I do not have the money to go get raped by Lexus any more for them to fix the problem they said they fixe when it was still on warrante. And a couple non Lexus shops have just told me to take it to Lexus, So now I have to pay for all this to be repaired. And don't even get me started on the AC issue that they fixed.

Sorry, just all the naggers just drive me crazy. We all are not so stupid that we do not know what is safe and not, so please do not insist on treating us like we are stupid.
The following users liked this post:
ShyPimp74 (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 09:13 AM
ShyPimp74
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 rx400h

Originally Posted by fossil
Does anyone know how to disable the seat belt alarm on a 2008 Lexus RX 350? I tried the "reset odometer" method and that doesn't work. I also took the car to a Toyota dealer and a former Lexus technician could not disable it via computer. This alarm is annoying! Please help!
​​1. I prepped the seatbelts by putting them on the armrest (passenger & driver).
2. Do not put your foot on the brake, turn the car on, 3. push the odometer button until it displays odometer reading ONLY & keep it held down without Trip A or B on the display
4. Buckle the passenger seatbelt in & then the driver's seatbelt in
5. On the odometer reading display screen it should change to tell you that the seatbelt chime is ON
6. Let go of the odometer button & press it again for it to say OFF
7. Turn the car off to set
Old 08-05-20, 09:21 AM
ShyPimp74
Driver School Candidate

Default Seatbelt Chime

Originally Posted by EFMJR
Ok, could not go on without commenting. Come on people, when did we become a bunch of delicate little flowers in this country. I grew up as the youngest of five kids riding in the back seat of a station wagon (no seatbelts) staring out the back window getting to see where we just were, with two chain smoking parents (who refused to roll windows down due to the killer "gas fumes" would kill us all), no Ac (just the vent in the side panel by your feet and the wind wing window), am radio, no power steering, and a three speed on the column, car full loaded with seven people, all the luggage for the five people driving through the Mojave dessert every summer to visit the grand parents and can you believe it, Not even one of us have died yet. No air bags, no special features to predict a accident coming, no special sensors or flashing lights, no traction control, all terrain tire (yep, we had good old bias tires, sometimes retreads) none of the safety equipment we have today. Back then the driver was the safety equipment. Society has just become so lazy and unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions that we have turned into a nanny state. Heck, what about riding a bicycle, now we need helmet, knee/elbow pads, lights front and rear of else the police will harass you and give you a ticket. Really people, I had never worn a helmet or pads to ride a bike and I survived just fine

Do accidents happen, yes, do people get badly hurt, yes, but that does It mean we need to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap, hide in a closet with filtered air pumped in for us to be safe, no. Accidents happen. Heck, while locked in the closet with bubble wrap on and the oxygen being pumped in a plane crashes into the building and you die anyways. When it is your time, it is your time no matter where you are.
We all just need to own our own actions, be responsible for ourselves and others around us and the world would be so much better again. Put you cell phone down, turn off the DVD's, turn down the radio, put down the triple latte, and actually drive and pay attention to what you are doing.

Just because someone asks how to turn off the stupid alarm does not require a bunch of naggers giving them grief about safety. My wife and I wear our seat belts religiously, but our 2008 RX350 seat sensor is messed up and it flashes non stop, beeps and all that jazz when there is no on in the damn seat. I do not have the money to go get raped by Lexus any more for them to fix the problem they said they fixe when it was still on warrante. And a couple non Lexus shops have just told me to take it to Lexus, So now I have to pay for all this to be repaired. And don't even get me started on the AC issue that they fixed.

Sorry, just all the naggers just drive me crazy. We all are not so stupid that we do not know what is safe and not, so please do not insist on treating us like we are stupid.
Also it's not a law to have a chime and the dealerships shouldn't make that decision for vehicle owner's. We're not their children and we paid OUR money to not have them tell us what non-lawful items they refuse to not give us as an option. If it lowered car insurance, then sign me up BUT personally a car chimes enough with the keys in the ignition, open door etc. I personally don't need it to chime while the seatbelt is on for 10 seconds AND I have migraines set off by noise. I've told this to Lexus multiple times (which my HIPAA info shouldn't have to be given for a non-lawful item that resets every time the battery is removed by Lexus) etc.
There's also NO seatbelts on motorcycles & you're more likely to die from a motorcycle accident. So should seatbelts be a law ONLY for cars?
Old 10-24-22, 11:10 AM
EdmundBurk
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Bon
This may be what you already tried but I though it might be worth posting. This works on my '06 SC430 so it may work on your '08 RX. You'd think that Toyota would standardize on some things:

1. Turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake, door closed, seat belt unbuckled.

2. As soon as the display is on, press the trip button as needed until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B) AND THEN CONTINUE TO HOLD THE TRIP BUTTON DOWN WITH THE ODO DISPLAYED.

3. Continue to press and hold this same trip button (not the reset button) and hold for about 30 seconds.

4. While still holding the trip button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt. (Can you spell contortionist?)

5. The odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip button (again not the reset button).

6. Turn off the ignition when you have the setting that you want.

(7. Continue using your seat belt.)
I followed the steps and arrived at "b ON" or "b OFF" and toggled to "b OFF," and then cut the car off, but when I cut it back on it always still chimes. Any ideas? It's a 2009 Lexus RX350.
If anyone is wondering, I always wear my seatbelt. I have to put things in my passenger seat and that makes the chime continue, at an accelerating pace, until it cuts off after 20 or so seconds, but it's incredibly annoying. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-24-22, 11:25 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 186 Posts

See answer to question 2
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11360729
Old 10-24-22, 11:34 AM
EdmundBurk
2nd gear

Originally Posted by iMSQ
What goes in the passenger seat prevents that.