RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Who lives where it snows and doesn't have winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 10:48 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that we are not differentiating winter tires from snow tires. Are there any difference?
Old 11-02-11, 11:15 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdyd
I thought that we are not differentiating winter tires from snow tires. Are there any difference?

http://www.wheels.ca/article/177172
Old 11-02-11, 12:47 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
It is god to know that there is difference. However at the consumer level I don't think that it is clear. Even the tire shop normally mix winter/snow tire. See below link.

Bridgestone BLIZZARD Winter/Snow Tires

However based on above article, BLIZZARD is winter tire, not snow tire.
Old 11-02-11, 10:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdyd
It is god to know that there is difference. However at the consumer level I don't think that it is clear. Even the tire shop normally mix winter/snow tire. See below link.

Bridgestone BLIZZARD Winter/Snow Tires

However based on above article, BLIZZARD is winter tire, not snow tire.

To me, a true snow tire comes with a "Q" or an "R" speed rating. Yes, I know there are "snow" tires with "H" or "T" ratings. Guess you would call those winter tires. I do not consider these to be true snow tires, rather, more of a super M&S tire. Others may have a different opinion.

The Alenza tires I use are good enough for most conditions. This includes up to say 6" of snow which I encounter from time-to-time when I travel to PA for hunting, etc. That is with a FWD RX330. Above that, most people would stay off the roads as much as possible or would have AWD vehicles as they would be dealing with heavy snows on a more frequent basis. In my book, why push it.

If that is not your case you are probably not going to go for those "H" and "T" rated tires and instead will go for the "Q" and "R" editions as they are better, IMHO, in heavy snow. You probably also have a special set of rims to use to leave these tires mounted year-round.

Above that is of course chains. If you are running chains in the snow you probably have a special set of 17" rims to give you extra clearance for the chains and you are above the pay grade for this discussion being an expert in winter snow conditions up in the mountains.

Noting really helps with ice no matter the amount of snow. Studded tires are better, however, not allowed or practical for most. The same for chains in these conditions.
Old 11-02-11, 11:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Almost forgot, in deep snow when you need true snow tires there are also alternative modes of transportation. In that I am speaking of breaking out the Ski-Doo. Nothing quite like going for coffee in the drive-thru lane of McDonald's in your snowmobile.

On a more serious note, I think willyb0b said it best in that a little common sense goes a long way. Watch your speed, keep your distances, etc. Also, remember that while you may have full control of your vehicle, the experience, have the best tires, etc. -- the others on the road around you may not.
Old 11-03-11, 01:05 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter tires are overrated, never needed them on our rx400h in chicago. All you need is AWD + good judgement.
Old 11-03-11, 08:18 AM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Almost forgot, in deep snow when you need true snow tires there are also alternative modes of transportation. In that I am speaking of breaking out the Ski-Doo. Nothing quite like going for coffee in the drive-thru lane of McDonald's in your snowmobile.

On a more serious note, I think willyb0b said it best in that a little common sense goes a long way. Watch your speed, keep your distances, etc. Also, remember that while you may have full control of your vehicle, the experience, have the best tires, etc. -- the others on the road around you may not.

Indeed. I'm not concerned with my ability to drive in winter conditions, I'm usually concerned with the other drivers around me. THere are a lot of nut bags on the road when the weather turns for the worse.
Old 11-04-11, 06:13 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's Acura MDX is incredible in the snow with all-season tires in Missouri winters. We'll see how my RX400h does this winter (just bought it this summer). I'd anticipate it will do very well. Here's hoping at least

Jeff
Old 11-06-11, 04:05 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I ran mxv4's fine during the winter, doing a whole lot of winter highway speed driving in maine. But the 2nd year, when the tread wore down a little, I was sliding all over the place, and ran to the tire dealer to get snow tires.

So, I think the answer is yes if you have brand new all seasons, and no if you have tread wear.
Old 11-09-11, 07:17 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Winter tires have been mandatory in Quebec province for the past few years now. The first year that they had the law, it caused a run on winter tires in Ottawa. I had to get my tires from tirerack.com.

Drove in Canadian winters for about six winters without winter tires. Started using a full set in 1998 and never looked back. Once you try them, you will, in all likelihood, not go back to all seasons especially in places like Ottawa where you can have the combo of really cold temp and snow.

If you only buy and install two, always install them in the rear never in the front even for front wheel drives.

Stay safe y'all.

Fifth season of these on the 2004 330: Pirelli Scorpion.
Old 11-09-11, 09:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Fifth season of these on the 2004 330: Pirelli Scorpion.
Good looking tire.

I see where there is now a Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season available in our size. A little expensive being it is made over in Europe, however, some day it may go on sale. For now, there are few reviews for the tire at Tire Rack and no technical survey information on Noise Comfort and Wet Traction.
Old 11-10-11, 01:48 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Winter tires have been mandatory in Quebec province for the past few years now. The first year that they had the law, it caused a run on winter tires in Ottawa. I had to get my tires from tirerack.com.
]

I'm glad i don't live in Canada. Of course with the current Marxist in the white house it won't be long before that bone head and his comrades start to mandate winter tires