RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Led drl

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 07:27 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Led drl

I don't have DRL's with my car, but the thought did cross my mind that if i wanted to install Daytime Running Lights on my car, how would one wire them up? I see a number of newer cars have these and people have been installing them on some older vehicles. How is this wired into the car? Is something like the cigarette lighter wire being intercepted to get the power when the car is on? Anyone seen this done on an RX330/350?
Old 09-28-11, 09:38 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I don't have DRL's with my car, but the thought did cross my mind that if i wanted to install Daytime Running Lights on my car, how would one wire them up? I see a number of newer cars have these and people have been installing them on some older vehicles. How is this wired into the car? Is something like the cigarette lighter wire being intercepted to get the power when the car is on? Anyone seen this done on an RX330/350?
Here in the states DRL is a standard feature of the 2004 RX330 and newer -- at least. Cannot speak for earlier models. Many threads here asking about how to "turn them off" -- the reverse of what you are looking to do.
Old 09-28-11, 11:16 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does your RX have power folding mirrors? (Is there a button near the mirror adjustment switch that allows you to make your left and right side mirrors fold in autonomously?)

**Just In Case** Before everyone attacks me, there ARE models of the RX that have power folding mirrors, I believe it is a requirement on cars (or maybe only some cars) in Australia... ** I THINK **

I am merely trying to gather which version of the RX draco has...

-Joe
Old 09-28-11, 11:42 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, I remember Draco mentioned he has them ( I could be wrong ) at one point I wanted to get the entire power folding mirrors here since it would be a practical and good mod.

For his question can a simple 12V and tap into ignition would work ? That way the led DRL will work when car is on and off when car is off.
Old 09-28-11, 11:51 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
For his question can a simple 12V and tap into ignition would work ? That way the led DRL will work when car is on and off when car is off.
Am wondering if there is a different relay being used when compared to the US model?
Old 09-28-11, 12:01 PM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by mowmow
Joe, I remember Draco mentioned he has them ( I could be wrong ) at one point I wanted to get the entire power folding mirrors here since it would be a practical and good mod.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Am wondering if there is a different relay being used when compared to the US model?
If draco's RX is using a different relay in the engine bay than maybe he could get the US relay and (If there is a spot for DRL in the engine bay fuse box) a fuse for it and they should just work if he gets the correct relay and fuse. I believe our DRLs are running in parallel which means the "high beam light" bulb is only receiving 6volts when DRL are on but when high beams are activated then it receives 12volts.

-Joe
Old 09-28-11, 01:34 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell LED DRL! let me know if you want a set! i can give you a good deal!
Old 09-28-11, 04:18 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the responses all. The Japan built cars (which is what is "imported" to Australia) have the power folding mirrors as standard equipment. Australia only had 2 model types of the RX and that was the Sports and Sports Luxury. The Sports Luxury has everything without any additional options for my car year. My RX330 doesn't have the DRL's unfortunately. Does anyone in the US have a picture of what these DRL's look like on the RX330 US spec?
Old 09-29-11, 09:16 AM
jamodeo

Thanks for the responses all. The Japan built cars (which is what is "imported" to Australia) have the power folding mirrors as standard equipment. Australia only had 2 model types of the RX and that was the Sports and Sports Luxury. The Sports Luxury has everything without any additional options for my car year. My RX330 doesn't have the DRL's unfortunately. Does anyone in the US have a picture of what these DRL's look like on the RX330 US spec?
It looks like this,

you might only need a relay and fuse. Ill take a picture tonight and show you where the relay should be and what it looks like, if yours is different, maybe you can just get the US spec relay (if it will fit) and fuse for the DRL and they might just work. Ill post pics tonight so you can check it out.

-Joe
Old 09-29-11, 04:45 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the picture but that looks like my park lights when they are on.
Old 09-29-11, 04:46 PM
grouch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the DRL's are the high beams on reduced power. That is more than just a relay.

You might think about wiring your fog lights to come on with the ignition if that is possible.
Old 09-30-11, 07:17 AM
jamodeo

Thanks for the picture but that looks like my park lights when they are on.
Parking lights for me are the little bulbs inside the high beam part of the headlamp... That picture is depicting an RX with its high beams activated at half power, that is what our US spec RXs look like with DRL

-Joe