RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Urgent help needed on throttle position actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 06:31 AM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help needed on throttle position actuator

I'm in Panama (Central America) not Panama City, FL ;-)

I have a 2005 RX 300 with 70K miles on it.

The night before last, the battery died and I jumped the car off and it started fine. I tried to drive the car but the accelerator did not work. It just went to the floorboard but the engine did not rev, it just idled basically. I could push the accelerator down and the rev would barley even go up, almost no change.

We don't have a Lexus dealer here. I called a mechanic friend who came down and connected a computer deal up to it. First it said that a fuel sensor was bad. He started taking off air filter cover, etc. Then I guess he found the part and said it did not look dirty or anything. Put everything back in place and the computer said it needs a throttle position actuator whatever that is.

I had to have the car towed to his shop. He has an electrical guy coming over today or tomorrow to take a look at it to see if it has to have a new part or can be fixed, etc.

I can't seem to find this throttle position actuator anywhere on the net or in this forum. I don't remember the error code number the computer showed. The mechanic said that the part is probably about $1,500 if it needs to be replaced. I trust him as I've used him in the past for other cars and motorcycles I have and he seems to know what he is doing.

Does anyone have ANY ideas what might be causing this. Right now $1,500 might as well be $150,000. Business is horrible and so are finances.

Anyone with any suggestions please get back with me.

David
Old 04-20-11, 06:52 AM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention that last week I had a new key cut for the car. The plastic broke and I ordered a new on on the Internet with a blank. When I was in Panama City last week I took it to a key shop and they cut a new key. It seems to work ok, car starts, etc. but sometimes it sticks a little when trying to take it out and I have to jiggle it a little. I don't know if that would matter or not.
Old 04-20-11, 06:25 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

We don't have a 2005 RX300 in the US. We have 1999-2003 RX300s and 2004+ RX330s - different cars. Can you confirm what you have?
Old 04-21-11, 02:05 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

His public profile says 2005 RX330.
Old 04-21-11, 06:01 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Here is a Throttle body assembly for cheaper
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=25
Old 04-21-11, 01:34 PM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. This should help a lot. And I do have a 330, not a 300. Just a typo.

David
Old 04-21-11, 01:50 PM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus in Tampa Bay, FL and described the problem. They have never heard of a throttle control actuator. He also said no RX 330 has ever com in with that problem before. His suggestion was to check the ETCS, 10 AMP fuse as it might be blown.

My fear is that since I had to jump the car off the night the thing went bad is that I blew out a computer or something. I've had to jump it off before and it did not hurt anything.

Could I have seriously messed up something by jump starting the car. The battery seemed fine before that. But here in Panama batteries only seem to last a couple of years. And while I'm ranting ;-) I"m only getting about 15K miles on a set of Yokohoma tires. Anyone having tires wear out this fast?

David
Old 04-21-11, 02:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You might get better responses by posting your thread in the second gen forum...

The only way you could have damaged anything by jumping the car, is by mixing up the positive and negative, but if you did that it would blow a fuse, and the car wouldn't start without replacing it.

15k on a pair of Yokohoma tires is unusually low, how are the tires wearing? On the sides, if so you might need an alignment.
Old 04-21-11, 11:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

just moved thread
Old 04-21-11, 11:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd love to know what the actual code number is.

As I seem to recall also, Lexus is sold in Panama though through Toyota dealers. I remember at least one friend down there when I was still in Mexico who had an RX330 that they bought at a dealer there, I think Ricardo Perez was the dealer name.
Old 04-22-11, 06:53 AM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

Ricardo Perez is the Toyota dealer in Panama. They have a Lexus (new) dealership in Panama City. Actually it's a Toyota dealership that orders Lexus for people. I'm not sure if they even stock them or not. However I was in Panama City last week which is about an 8 hour drive for me and saw many Lexus. In the provience I live in there are only 3 or 4 Lexus total.
Old 04-22-11, 06:55 AM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

Tires are wearing pretty evenly. I rotate them every time I get the oil changed between #K and 5K usually. An I have the car aligned at almost every oil change. After all I live in Panama, the land of pot holes.

Last edited by DDUTY; 04-22-11 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-22-11, 07:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DDUTY
Tires are wearing pretty evenly. I rotate them every time I get the oil changed between #K and 5K usually. An I have the car aligned at almost every oil change. After all I live in Panama, the land of pot holes.
Maybe get a pair of Michelins when it's time to change. But, before you do make sure you check if your current tires have a mileage warranty, they can usually give you some credit for the fact that the tires aren't lasting as long as they should be.
Old 04-22-11, 08:05 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The very first and cheapest thing you can do is quit screwing around and get a new battery. Lexus go completely insane as the battery is dying, many very odd symptoms.

When the battery is replaced the ECU will reset and that combo, new bat and a reset may do wonders for your problem.

You really can't diagnose anything on a Lexus with a bad battery causing mischief.
Old 04-22-11, 02:49 PM
DDUTY
Driver School Candidate

Problem fixed. There seemed to be a corroded wire somewhere. Took my friend, a mechanic and an auto electrical guy to trace it down. It was not a fuse like I thought it might be. Cost to repair was $80. Whew!!!! Close call on this one.

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed on throttle position actuator