RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 07:08 PM
vg1134
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at that miles I would not recommend synthetic unless it was used before. The oil is thin and it will cause leaks. There is no way to know if it will happen quick or how many leaks you might get or if you will get any at all. It would be a chance to take.
the odd thing is that synthetic is the way to go, but the seals on that motor are not going to be able to seal that thin oil properly.
Old 01-11-11, 07:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by vg1134
at that miles I would not recommend synthetic unless it was used before. The oil is thin and it will cause leaks. There is no way to know if it will happen quick or how many leaks you might get or if you will get any at all. It would be a chance to take.
the odd thing is that synthetic is the way to go, but the seals on that motor are not going to be able to seal that thin oil properly.
That's a myth; synthetic oil flows better. It is in no way thinner, maybe if you change the viscosity to 0w-30 even then it's a 0 weight at startup and then flows at 30 when warmed up... I spend way too much time on Bob is the Oil Guy.
Old 01-11-11, 07:41 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

How long does it take to get results for such a test back? How much are there? Any links to help me 'educate' myself a bit?
Old 01-11-11, 08:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
That's a myth; synthetic oil flows better. It is in no way thinner, maybe if you change the viscosity to 0w-30 even then it's a 0 weight at startup and then flows at 30 when warmed up... I spend way too much time on Bob is the Oil Guy.
Perhaps it is a myth, but 3 years ago I switched from dino oil to synthetic on our old RX300 (no longer have that vehicle) and that developed oil leak through main seal. I fought with this for couple of oil changes and then finally switched back to dino. It did not stop the leak until I used special additive.
Old 01-12-11, 05:39 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Alright, even I know that the debate over synthetic versus dino oil is not likely to be settled here!

With that said, if you could get (and yes, I know who I am talking to and that is why this could be telling) a 2003 Honda Pilot with 100K in excellent condition (in and out) or a 2004 Lexus RX 330 with 220k and excellent condition in and out for about the same money... is it a no-brainer?

The Honda was for sale locally by the owner (2nd owner) and I saw it a couple months ago but didn't look at it too seriously as I wasn't in the market then. When I did start looking, it wasn't around so I assumed it had been sold (and maybe it was because I only found it for sale in an online listing - but I've emailed about it). Anyway, when I do my online search, KBB and others indicate that the Honda isn't worth as much as the Lexus RX even with all those miles and I guess I find that a little ironic because after 5 years and more than 100K I would think the value would be based more on remaining life than anything having much to do with much else... Or am I just nuts in that as well?
Old 01-12-11, 05:54 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Alright, even I know that the debate over synthetic versus dino oil is not likely to be settled here!

With that said, if you could get (and yes, I know who I am talking to and that is why this could be telling) a 2003 Honda Pilot with 100K in excellent condition (in and out) or a 2004 Lexus RX 330 with 220k and excellent condition in and out for about the same money... is it a no-brainer?

The Honda was for sale locally by the owner (2nd owner) and I saw it a couple months ago but didn't look at it too seriously as I wasn't in the market then. When I did start looking, it wasn't around so I assumed it had been sold (and maybe it was because I only found it for sale in an online listing - but I've emailed about it). Anyway, when I do my online search, KBB and others indicate that the Honda isn't worth as much as the Lexus RX even with all those miles and I guess I find that a little ironic because after 5 years and more than 100K I would think the value would be based more on remaining life than anything having much to do with much else... Or am I just nuts in that as well?
It depends what your looking for, are you looking for a luxurious suv or a capable, non-luxurious suv? If your looking at the Pilot, then I think you should negotiate the price down, it's a little high, I'd shoot for high 7's or low to mid 8's.

As to the leak starting in the RX300, many of the RX300's have gotten a rear main seal leak, as the engine runs hotter than many cars out there, that means the rubber seal gets hard and it doesn't seal well anymore. The synthetic had nothing to do with the leak starting, furthermore it was probably a coincidence that it started leaking.
Old 01-12-11, 06:27 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Default what I am looking for...

What I am looking for is something as reliable as can be expected given the value/price I can pay with the following:

1) can accomodate my pets and bf (as previously mentioned 6'5" so many small SUVs are out).
2) provides assurance I can get to work on snowy days from a home in the Southwest Virginia mountains/rural area.
3) as affordable - in terms of emissions, fuel economy, repair as can be reasonably expected.

The last category fights the others to a degree since the larger the vehicle the lower the fuel economy but the more likely bf can fit (in very general terms).

In the last category (which isn't quite as important as the other two would just like to maximize as much as possible), the RX 330 has it all over the Pilot. However, savings in fuel could easily be eaten up in repairs and down time (tho she would make a lovely yard ornament I admit..lol!) if the Lexus isn't mechanical sound, I know.

Of course, as every post about this has indicated, I got totally suckered by how sweet the Lexus is.. and if I felt I had money to throw at that kind of luxury, styling, comfort...well art, really, I would love to.. but I was raised by a lovely, practical woman from New England so even if I have money to throw at that it's not easy when it's so much easier to try and be practical.
Old 01-12-11, 06:30 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Oh and bf has not sat in the Pilot so that may be moot. Additionally, I know I won't get the owner down to even 9. He told me his payoff was 11,200 and thought he was being incredibly generous to price it at 10,700 - so while I don't recall him saying that it was 10,700 firm, I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.

does seem ironic does it not, that the Pilot with 100K miles and comparable expectation of lifespan (300-400K with good care) would be worth that much less than the RX isn't it - when, at least from a functional point of view (AWD SUV) they are so comparable?
Old 01-12-11, 07:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The RX and Pilot will have no problem getting around in bad weather, ie. snow. Both are extremely reliable, none of which will give you more than a few hours of downtime if any repair was necessary, as they are easy to work on, and they are built well much better than a domestic car, so repairs won't be unexpected. You'll know beforehand that the car needs a repair (by how the car rides, and feels, maybe a CEL) , it won't have you stuck on the side of the road like a domestic.

The reason the Lexus is more pricey is because it is a luxury suv/crossover, and all toyota's/lexus hold their value immensely compared to any other automaker.

MY Opinion: I would go for the RX in this situation, due to the fact that it has higher miles meaning most of the bigger repairs that needed to be done are already completed. Remember they are more than likely all HIGHWAY MILES, meaning less wear and tear on the car, so that gives it an advantage over the Pilot, as 100k for a 03' is pretty low, meaning the miles are probably all city. Which in turn means it has more wear on it than the Lexus, and it's a year older. So the Lexus, would be the better bet here.

Last edited by hypervish; 01-12-11 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:08 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the message above, the Lexus RX330 is built at least 2-3 years more advanced than the Honda Pilot because it comes from a luxury line. The style of the RX has not been changed even to the latest RX model so you'd buy an suv that looks and feels like it is just made last year.
Old 01-12-11, 08:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Oh, today's mechanic sang the praises of synthetic oil and then added that he probably wouldn't want to change the kind of oil currently in this vehicle (if I were to get it)... of course, if I cannot reach the prior owner he then added that we probably wouldn't be able to tell what kind of oil was in it without sending it off for analysis.

I wonder what everyone's two cents on that might be?

Just pull a valve cover.That will tell you anything you need to know.
Old 01-12-11, 02:33 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Got report back from recommended Toyota/Lexus Master Tech guy... she's a creampuff. He said based on what he could access (service history) she's due for her 90.000 maintenance (timing belt) - I expected that. He also said he'd recommend a trans flush but other than that he said he was quite amazed. He knew that it could be in good shape with good maintenance but he said it was beyond anything he'd expected.

So I'm looking at about $1000 in maintenance the minute I drive off the lot... they are asking 11,800 and I was told I could get it for 10,700 (in nearly the same breath by the sales rep). It appraises at about 12-14K with all it's options (AWD, navigation, back up camera, etc.). I am inclined to suggest that they get those repairs done... I realize it could effect the price I could get it for... but wondered how I should approach it?

Dicker for my best bottom line deal and then suggest they do the repairs just increasing the price by the actual repair cost?
Old 01-12-11, 02:55 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the part where you must put your burning desire for this car aside and look at it realistically. The market for 225K cars is limited. Most people simply would never consider it. They need you more than you need them, they want to move that car and it's very probable you are the only game in town.

Don't be afraid to insult them (and mean it). I would point out the car needs 2500 in maintenance right now (full 90k, fluids, belts, hoses, pads, everything) and start at 9k for the 330. Right now, their thinking is how low they can sell it to you from 11,800 and you have to get their minds right in thinking how much they can get you up from 9k, a subtle but real difference.

Good luck and this has been a fun thread and I wish you and BF the best!

Last edited by Carver; 01-12-11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 03:06 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans fluid flush can be done at any Toyota dealer for $190. Oil change is an easy DIY job so your BF can help you do it with no problem. Ask the dealer to help you out on the timing belt repair should you agree to buy it at the bottom price ($10,700) because your tech quoted you for 1K. Unless he would agree to sell it to you for $10,300, then you will do the repair yourself. Pretend to walk away if he hesitates to sell. I bet he will call you back in an instance!
I like Carver's take on it. Give the seller your bottom price and tell him/her to meet you at a point where you both can agree to term with regards to the maintenance and repairs that are required immediately after you purchase it.

Last edited by Nick318; 01-12-11 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 03:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

First off, DON'T GET A TRANSMISSION FLUSH, get a Drain and Fill, a flush is terrible for the car, and will probably result in transmission failure in just about any vehicle. Besides that, you should be fine. Ask the seller, to get the 90k service done and sell it at 10K.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?